• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurozuka (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
i finally picked this up again. damn this show is awesome. without a doubt the most overlooked series of the fall. it's exactly the kind of good quality you expect Madhouse to put out.
furizaa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching it as well, and yeah, it's pretty awesome. I thought that the scene in episode 9 with spoiler[the motorcycle] was a little TOO farfetched, however. spoiler[It was his first time driving one ever, he jumps with it, kills a hellicoptor pilot, and then LANDS on the motorcycle for a 10 point landing. Kinda silly.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
damn this show is awesome. without a doubt the most overlooked series of the fall. it's exactly the kind of good quality you expect Madhouse to put out.

Naw. More people are watching this than the almost equally awesome Madhouse production One Outs. (I'm gonna pimp that show in any way that I can. Gotta try and save people from missing out on an excellent show somehow, ya know?) Razz

Still, Kurozuka is easily my favorite anime of this fall season and is one of my favorites of the year. It just continues to deliver episode after episode. Now that episode 8 has come out from the group I've been watching, I cannot wait to delve into this series some more. That will have to wait though, as it's 2 AM here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
siken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
I love it as well I just wish it wasn't so confusing at first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
the action and animation in episode 9 were excellent. That said, things are equally vague; the plot is as direction-less as ever, and no one gets any character development. But it's still mad entertaining somehow.

I've read the blogging about episode 10, and it seems that Kuromitsu's motives become a bit clearer there, for better or for worse.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well episode 10 cleared things up on Kuro's front

spoiler[oooohh, so he's been body-squatting every 20 years, and every 20 years his memories get wiped.

Looks like Kuromitsu's been the one helping him switch bodies.
Her motives are still unclear to me; she's one hell of a duplicitous character. She either loves Kuro and that's the reason she switches his bodies (and somehow evil scientist Kuromitsu either got brainwashed, is a fake, or is acting because she has a plan), or she's a great actress and pretends to care about Kuro and she's really evil and has somehow wanted to use him as a test subject the whole time.

Personally, I still lean toward the former. Why waste a thousand years on a science experiment? She already knew he was a success, unless there's some explanation about how she was waiting for the right equipment to do said experiments. I do believe that this explains her actions in an earlier episode of cutting his head off--she was switching his body. Possibly she's some kind of fake...this might be crazy, but does anyone else see the similarity between Rai's character design and Kuromitsu?]

Damn good episode.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
episode 11

spoiler[well everyone's dead now, not that they got much character development.

I was surprised at Kuro's seeming compassion for Kuon, but I wondered what finally convinced him to drop Kuon...perhaps realizing that he was fully insane?

I still can't see Kuromitsu's motives as being anything but based on personal feelings...perhaps all of her work has been devoted to trying to find Kuro a body that won't give out after just 20 years.

All the masks seem to suggest a duplicity, which so far both Kuon and Kuromitsu have displayed. ]

Really looking forward to the conclusion and final confrontation with Kuromitsu, who's been a ghostly presence throughout the whole series. I'm surprised at the budget this has been given (the action is still beatifically animated) given its weirdness, but the show is still somehow addicting, even though I don't really give a crap about any of the characters. I mean, even if Kuromitsu killed him, I wouldn't care, that's how bad a job this show has done in terms of character development. But then again, maybe character development isn't the point at all...I'm curious as to the messages the ending will convey.
furizaa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
It's over now. Soo... spoiler[Kuro FINALLY makes it to Kuromitsu, has a couple of cool showdowns, and then, he has to do it all over again. But to make the plot even more twisted, the ENTIRE show has really just been some elaborate dream?] I'm a little confused/let down. However, I didn't really enjoy the show for the plot development, but for the action, so I'm not that disappointed I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
I'm a little confused/let down.

You're not the only one, I myself am still confused but I think I have a good understanding from the last scene. Either way I didn't lose my time with the series, I just hoped that the side characters were developed a bit more. That being said though spoiler[I knew all of them were going to die though I still found Rai's death a bit unsettling. I mean I knew she was going to die once Karuta died but I just found her ordeal before her death was a bit too much. Now I'm not saying its the most gruesome death, its just that going from the Torture by Hasegawa to being held by Kuro only to be shot in the head by Kuon and then being kicked off the side of the building. I just found that a to be unsettling for me due to my character (I really don't like seeing any female characters be it protagonists or antagonists being in pain or dying)].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I could have understood the ending if it had stopped about a minute and a half earlier. spoiler[The whole trapped inside a lie or a dream doomed to repeat it over and over would make sense, but then we end where we started, and all the world is ruined, except for the one little area of mountain and valley. ]

spoiler[Then again, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. There is no end as there was no beginning; it's just a loop that all of them are trapped inside and have always been so. ] Nice little mind screw to finish it all off.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
well it's not as if I was watching for the plot anyway Confused

spoiler[I think it was clear at the end that Kuromitsu's motivation was pure and that she really just wanted to be with Kuro. At least Benkei's actions were explained a little better...he got jealous, killed his master, drank some of his blood, and then spent thousands of years chasing Kuromitsu so he could confess to her. woot. And I was right, all those experiments were to get Kuro a body that would last, except that Kuon was killed by Kuro...but maybe now Kuromitsu knows how to make that body, and the cycle won't repeat itself?

I don't have a clue, I was just as confused as everyone else about the logistics of it all. The important thing is that they'll "be together forever." Literally. And Kuromitsu gets to hold Kuro's decapitated head to her breasts and creepily stroke it as if she is receiving sexual gratification. Yippee!]

Now why can't HellKorn watch and 'splain everything? Laughing
Ardlien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I lost faith when spoiler[they all hopped up and said let's go to that castle that's never been mentioned before, that'll solve everything!] and I don't really think there's much depth to explain. For something that seems to have relied on action sequences to scrounge together an audience, I didn't find them entirely convincing/impressive. I'm being harsh; there was some entertainment in it, but it was far from what I expected based on the first few episodes.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Having waited and marathoned the series, as I do with most of them, I suppose I'll drop in my two cents. The show definitely did not live up to my initial, first couple episode expectations. But I may re-watch it someday. The animation was overall very good, though late middle had some glaring cost cuts... Kuro floating along instead of walking and not being well-integrated with the background or other characters. And I hate when the CG stands out starkly from the rest, as in one of the flying machines looked like an untextured model instead of a finished object.

My primary complaint, though, was that spoiler[Kuromitsu was the reason I got excited about the show, then she did nothing but cameos for 9 episodes. I thought of watching xxxHolic with Yuuko only showing up for 60 seconds a week. No way! As some have mentioned the lack of character development, I don't think I'm far off base here. Kuro wasn't interesting at all. He is being re-incarnated basically every 20 years and his memory wiped, but if he had a personality to start with he would..., well, he would have one. Some villains/comrades were somewhat entertaining, but if Kuromitsu had been there the whole time, I would have enjoyed the series much more. ]

The ending did surprise me somewhat. I didn't figure it out earlier, so the spoiler[pathos of Kuro's situation had an effect. What a bummer way to spend eternity.]

As it is, I believe it's decent, better than average, but not R1 material for sure.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ardlien wrote:
I lost faith when spoiler[they all hopped up and said let's go to that castle that's never been mentioned before, that'll solve everything!] and I don't really think there's much depth to explain. For something that seems to have relied on action sequences to scrounge together an audience, I didn't find them entirely convincing/impressive. I'm being harsh; there was some entertainment in it, but it was far from what I expected based on the first few episodes.

That the enemy organization, which they repeatedly referred to as an imperial army, would have a headquarters is your breaking point? I mean, I totally understand complaints about the characters being less human and more action figures, but I think it's forgivable that we would be expected to accept that a powerful ancient conspiracy would have a physical base for their operations.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
The show had a pretty clear cut ending to me, but this was not possible for me to understand until I saw the last episode. It seems others before me were not as secure.spoiler[Kuromitsu, being an immortal being, trapped Kuro into a cycle of pursuing her for her...entertainment? I imagine after the first thousands of years of being immortal you get bored. So why not have some boy toy chasing you for all of eternity? She doesn't have to change bodies because...she's the original? I'm not sure, because it seems that she was bestowed this blessing as well by someone else on a certain beach. I think the same thing would happen to her if someone cut off her head, but she's just such a great puppeteer that nobody comes close. The scene at the end as you can see, is the beginning of the cycle all over again. When it zooms out and you see that crater immersed in fog, it's supposed to be the little world of the feudal era. Kuromitsu, as powerful as she is, managed to re-create the story from the beginning. She is an endlessly aging, immortal being, so who knows how long this has been going on? ]That said, I'm satisfied with the ending and of course the show has it's flaws-the story feels a bit rushed and the nonlinear story telling is somewhat confusing (I don't mind as long as it makes sense in the end), but what can you expect from a 12 episode series? The director did his best with the given time and episodes. I think the show's underrated, looking at the average rating given by ANN users.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2