• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GW Bush Campaign Ad Includes... Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otakuworldwide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
you know what would have been funnier then an anime charactor for bush's ad? if he used the yakuza picture from the simpson anyone remembers that? anyways it would have been better if they showed that instead of wolfugi (wolfwood and yugi's love child)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:21 am Reply with quote
Anyway, let's look at the turnouts for anime conventions over the past year. From going over ANN, after looking around the Con reports section, it seems that possibly half a million anime fans go to cons. (estimate here, btw) How many of those can vote? Ehhh, let's say half. [/quote]

Hardly.

Only two conventions have gone over 10,000 people. Those (and pretty much all, for that matter) see many multi-con attendees as well as minors and foreigners.

Anime fandom isn't as big as you think.
brokenx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
if you watch fahrenheit 9/11, you will see that after being informed the trade centers were under attack, george bush silently read a childrens book to himself without doing a thing, until finally exitting the classroom 7 full minutes later.

(p.s., go ahead and ban me)
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Otakuworldwide wrote:
you know what would have been funnier then an anime charactor for bush's ad? if he used the yakuza picture from the simpson anyone remembers that? anyways it would have been better if they showed that instead of wolfugi (wolfwood and yugi's love child)

"Lookit that guy! He's just standing there! He's gonna do something! And you KNOW its gonna be good!"

Heh. Anyway, it wasn't really my intention to turn things into a political slapfest - I just saw somebody post something blatantly false and dangit, that sort of thing just doesn't sit right with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote
hahahahahahahaha this is just [expletive] sad. it really is.

it's even more funny cause Wolfwood is a priest.
Spooky Electric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
lol.

That's somewhat racist, no?

But then again, they made WW's eyes so big, he can't be Asian.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
People, to a significant enough degree, elected Bush. He won Florida by a marginal amount, in part due to stupidity of the voters, in part due to bad voting machines, and in part due to the sheer length the process took. There are deadlines, and those deadlines remained in place. That's what the Supreme Court decided. The Supreme Court did not vote Bush as President; they upheld how Florida law handled the election.

Bush did not win because the law was unfair. Bush did not win because the Supreme Court wanted him to win. Bush won because the law was upheld, rather than being changed DURING the election process.

IOW, Bush won because the Florida law had deadlines to meet, and the recount took longer than those deadlines, so the best attempt was made to reach those deadlines. Even afterword, most reports I've read tend to agree that Bush still had more votes than Gore.

Now, you may disagree with the process of the Electoral College, or the way Florida election laws were written, or you might disagree with the fact that the butterfly ballots are too hard to read, or whatever.

You can also argue that we no longer need the multi-month transitional period -- a president could be elected in the last week of December, and still make a full transition by inauguration day.

Whatever. The important thing is:

ANN is not a politics board. If you wish to continue discussing politics... well, don't.

Continued discussion of politics will result in bans. You have been warned.

If you don't want people to discuss politics, Cookie, then refrain from posting your political viewpoint as some sort of 'last word' and then telling people to not discuss it. You summation here is incredibly flawed and mostly incorrect, and I'd love to go down point by point as to why you are wrong, but as you've so eloquently said, no more political discussion.

If you want to stop the politics, say so, but don't end with your own views. That is simply not fair whatsoever.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I took a screen capture of the video. I am hosting it on Geocities...which isn't all that great. If a lot of people look at it I could run out of bandwidth. So if somebody had the ability to and would wanted to, could that person host it on a better site?

Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/jetblack_87/wolfwood_yakuza.txt
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Electric wrote:
lol.

That's somewhat racist, no?

But then again, they made WW's eyes so big, he can't be Asian.

Bah, his eyes are so big, he can't even be human, much less a part of a race of humans... Laughing
Time for somebody with a wolfwood avatar to finally step in, you think? Wink

And with the way the rest of the image was done, it really does look more like a piece of fanart than a simple cut and paste here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Satsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to get into a debate of "the evils of Bush and Kerry" thing, but just comment on the ad:

If Bush was trying to reel in some supporters in the anime community, he really did it the wrong way. Not only using an anime character to represent a yakuza (when the chara isn't even one) and then fussing with it to make it look "evil" is really really stupid. I know that Bush didn't have a direct hand in this ad, but he DID approve of it. Not like we expect Bush to know anything about anime anyway.

But I can say this: Bush will get next to no love from the anime community after this.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Why? No matter what your political beliefs are, I think we can all agree that deciding who you'll vote for because of the use of an anime character in a campaign ad is damn stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Satsuki wrote:
But I can say this: Bush will get next to no love from the anime community after this.

Somehow I don't think anyone in the political scene cares what the anime community has to say. We're still very much a niche group...and though anime fandom is growing in the States, it's still too small to really mean much in the political race.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Satsuki wrote:
I'm not going to get into a debate of "the evils of Bush and Kerry" thing, but just comment on the ad:

If Bush was trying to reel in some supporters in the anime community, he really did it the wrong way. Not only using an anime character to represent a yakuza (when the chara isn't even one) and then fussing with it to make it look "evil" is really really stupid. I know that Bush didn't have a direct hand in this ad, but he DID approve of it. Not like we expect Bush to know anything about anime anyway.

I really don't think Bush had the anime community in mind at all. To say that "Bush is trying to reel in some supporters in the anime community" is off base. Honestly, I think the ad campaign just wanted to show a picture of some Japanese guy without using a real photo to point fingers at. People recognize anime as Japanese, and that's probably why they used it. I don't think ANYONE had the anime community in mind.

Plus, saying that Bush won't get love from fandom is silly, too. I certainly have enough respect for anime fans that they wouldn't let their political decisions be swayed by something so stupid as a photoshopped cartoon. If anime fans are going to base their vote off an ad, then that's a sad day for fandom.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:22 am Reply with quote
I doubt that the Bush campaign knew that they had authorized a knock-off of an anime character(s) in their ad. They should know it's politically annoying to do that....causes all sorts of weird troubles. Kerry has already had to withdrawl one ad of his. He put an old picture of his military buddies from the war in the ad. The "old buddies" sued because he was using their images and almost none of them support him now.

That shot of the "yakuza", the off-color traditional Japanese sun, and Kerry's bust floating there is just awful!!
Abisian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the ad is lame (please don't send me viruses in my email or something for this opinion Crying or Very sad ) but I still, and always will, think that Kerry shouldn't be in office. (I'm republican Anime smile Well, if I could vote I would be)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7