• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fields of Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
It doesnt look like the 'point' is to abuse her, it's just showing what the technolgy can do. Just like how in some RPGS you can attack your own party members, but that isnt the 'point' of the battle.

I thought it was pretty darn obvious that the only "point" of this software is for some obscenely creepy guy to abuse the hell out of a little virtual girl by jabbing her all over the place and yanking her skirt up. I'll agree that the technological concept is rather interesting, but this particular execution of it just about drives me to vomit.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well I haven't loved a FF game since X came out (even though X-2 was fun after a while) but this shows real promise. If they can get back to the days of a FFXIII story with all these pretty graphics then I'll be happy.

Cyber maid alice huh? Almost makes the gravure idol industry look tame.

Don't you mean FFIII? Story is the reason that it's tied with Chrono Trigger for best game in existence.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
championferret wrote:
It doesnt look like the 'point' is to abuse her, it's just showing what the technolgy can do. Just like how in some RPGS you can attack your own party members, but that isnt the 'point' of the battle.

I thought it was pretty darn obvious that the only "point" of this software is for some obscenely creepy guy to abuse the hell out of a little virtual girl by jabbing her all over the place and yanking her skirt up. I'll agree that the technological concept is rather interesting, but this particular execution of it just about drives me to vomit.

:/ Well my interpretation of the 'point' was to have a cute little maid on your desktop to entertain you, with the option to do 'creepy fanboy things' if you're a 'creepy fanboy' type.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Man, what I wouldn't give to see Super Robot Wars get licensed over here... just the thought of Eva 01 vs Escaflowne vs Gurren Lagann vs Aquarion gives me geek chills. Very Happy

*sigh* Stupid copyrights....
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
I kind of want to try Cyber Maid Alice... if for nothing else than to torture her for existing. Laughing

championferret wrote:
The technology looks pretty impressive; It makes me think how awesome it would be if somehow you could combine it with something like Nintendogs. Imagine being able to see your Nintendogs running around on your desk!

They are, it's called Eye Pet and it's coming out on PS3 in the PAL region. here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SLU-ZZiBc
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Somehow I feel sorry for poor Alice. Confined to that little box, in a constant state of distress and all of three inches tall.
Yes. I for one would take pity on her. Alas I lack a webcam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Somehow I feel sorry for poor Alice. Confined to that little box, in a constant state of distress and all of three inches tall.
Yes. I for one would take pity on her. Alas I lack a webcam.

Not to mention those boobs. Can you imagine the back-aches?
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
I want that maid game...

But ¥9800 is a lot...

That's around $90, right?

Looks cute. And I agree with championferret, it doesn't HAVE to be disturbing. Right?
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
It doesn't HAVE to be disturbing. Right?

As a thought exercise, can we think of some non-disturbing uses for a three-inch, VR desktop maid? It's not like she can cook, clean, field telephone calls or alphabetise my bookshelves . . . I guess taking dictation through some kind of speech-recognition software would be helpful, but it's evidently not a feature of Cyber Maid Alice and I could always invest in some software that would perform the same function without making me look like a pervert.
turboyoshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

It doesnt look like the 'point' is to abuse her, it's just showing what the technolgy can do.

I don't disagree with what you say, but I guess my thinking is, the software shouldn't even include this kind of detail. It's unnecessary and the fact that the developers (and tv host) felt it worth exploring that aspect of the technology is disappointing to me.

Just because the technology can do these things, doesn't mean it should be used to do so.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thought of Digital Devil Saga/Avatar Tuner after seeing that picture of Snow?
Y'know, cause of the whole glowy-tattoo thing going on...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ys: Book I & II for the DS????

With the updated PC graphics?

Me want! Shocked
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Leuconoe wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
It doesn't HAVE to be disturbing. Right?

As a thought exercise, can we think of some non-disturbing uses for a three-inch, VR desktop maid? It's not like she can cook, clean, field telephone calls or alphabetise my bookshelves . . . I guess taking dictation through some kind of speech-recognition software would be helpful, but it's evidently not a feature of Cyber Maid Alice and I could always invest in some software that would perform the same function without making me look like a pervert.

Well, you could, like...

I... um...

Poking and giving gifts and stuff, changing clothes, etc. It's cute Anime hyper

But removing clothes and torturing her to the point of breakdown shown in the vid is NOT cute.

Oddly, I've found something harder to explain than how I enjoy dead or alive xtreme without doing any of the perverted things...
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
That Virtual Maid Alice video was hillarious. I'm in tears I laughed so hard. I would want one, but I'm sure I'd grow bored with it within half an hour.
Cocytus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
turboyoshi wrote:
championferret wrote:

It doesnt look like the 'point' is to abuse her, it's just showing what the technolgy can do.

I don't disagree with what you say, but I guess my thinking is, the software shouldn't even include this kind of detail. It's unnecessary and the fact that the developers (and tv host) felt it worth exploring that aspect of the technology is disappointing to me.

Just because the technology can do these things, doesn't mean it should be used to do so.

The trouble, I think, for most of us is -- or should be -- that this is the subject matter used to advertise the product. Sure, fanservice is all over the place in Japanese male-targeted media, but for that to be the majority of the commercial suggests that this is why anyone would and should buy Alice. Gives me a hefty case of the screaming meemies, but I can't say that it surprises me in light of the erotic-gaming subculture in young Japanese men.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5