• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fields of Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what's wrong with Cyber Maid Alice! It's like virtual loli pr0n - you could be as misogynist as you like without taking it out on real girls, right? Twisted Evil

Anyways, some of the accompanying pics seem to be wrong, like the pics for the last FFXIII pic, Agito, and yes, the Cyber Maid Alice cover. Laughing
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Never before did I imagine the Power Perversion Potential of the tech behind The Eye of Judgment.

Technologically, it's an impressive feat. Shame it was wasted on this. I mean, imagine: they could make yet another battling toy-type franchise using "summon cubes" and an officially-branded webcam, or something. Or Battlevision! Freakin' Battlevision augmented with modern technology!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Apparently some people didn't like XII at all, XII was a great game, it was almost like going back to the roots of final fantasy, no more sci-fi overtones, just straight up fantasy, reminded me a lot of VI, which is m favorite in the series. XIII looks amazing as well, and based on what square is telling us, the combat is going to be extremely fast paced, which is nice.

as for that maid game, I loled hard at it. I especially liked the part where she started to cry, then he gave her a present and she was happy, lol.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
turboyoshi wrote:
championferret wrote:

It doesnt look like the 'point' is to abuse her, it's just showing what the technolgy can do.

I don't disagree with what you say, but I guess my thinking is, the software shouldn't even include this kind of detail. It's unnecessary and the fact that the developers (and tv host) felt it worth exploring that aspect of the technology is disappointing to me.

Just because the technology can do these things, doesn't mean it should be used to do so.
I don't think it's aimed at someone with high morals.Or who speaks English.

I'll have to check it out.

I like it because it's a step closer to advanced A.I used in Chobits.Eventually we will all going to have our own sumomo's,right? What you are seeing is a ghost without a shell.I'm giving real Persocoms about 10 more years to green light.Then we can trip our maids in reality,look up their skirts,throw them into traffic,make them get a job.It will be fun.Then at the end of the day you could give her a teddy bear,and all her problems would go away.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Ys: Book I & II for the DS????

With the updated PC graphics?

Me want! Shocked
If I remember right,it's only the cinemas from the PC remake.Not the game.

The PC remakes are badass.I was in tears when I played the remake of III.It was excellent.

animehermit wrote:
Apparently some people didn't like XII at all, XII was a great game, it was almost like going back to the roots of final fantasy, no more sci-fi overtones, just straight up fantasy, reminded me a lot of VI, which is m favorite in the series. XIII looks amazing as well, and based on what square is telling us, the combat is going to be extremely fast paced, which is nice.
FF12 was an excellent game,animehermit but mainstream can't think for themselves,when it comes to JRPGs.

*Rant at world*

Final Fantasy was never a difficult RPG to begin with.Part 1-6:You begin your story,walk anywhere you want,explore the continent with an airship,follow the story,level up (if you got stuck),learn the magic names and effects,what they effected and what they didn't.It was great.

FF7 hit and suddenly we get a flood of nube's coming in going,"where is FF 2,3 and 4?","Why doesn't Final Fantasy connect or continue?"and,"FF7 is the greatest game ever!" Ok,maybe in 1997 but it doesn't hold up now,it's over.It was the jump to the PSX from the SNES.Though you could still fly around in 3D and level up anywhere.You could have an entertaining 60 hr RPG ahead of you.But,you did have to think for yourself.Vincent and Yuffie were extra,and you actually had to go out of your way to find them.

spoiler[ FF7 is when Tetsuya Nomura (Bouncer,Kingdom Hearts 1+2,FFX,FFX-2) came in as an artist.Making everyone's favorite FF cast,and (the father of FF) Hironobu Sakaguchi's mother died,while he was making FF7.In case you didn't realize what was behind the life lesson,the mother talk and why Aeris dies.He put his direct feelings into the game.(more than usual) That was also when EA and Square were together. ]

FF8 hit (another game where you had to think for yourself) and,"waah,waah,waah,it's not like FF7". FF9 hit (another think for yourself title) we get more "waah,waah,waah,it's not like FF7"

FFX hit and "ahhh finally,no more thinking" Oh,what? What's that? Oh,yes. We even dubbed the spoken dialogue to cut down on the reading,we know people hate to read.We also knocked down the hours to about 30,as well as the difficulty,to appease to those who have no experience with RPG's.And you won't get confused any more because we simplified the map,so that you could just point to where you want to go,and you're there. Exploration? No,we just threw in a rail system with a mini map.Forward or backward,you couldn't possibly get lost now.Quick and easy,just like you like it.

FFX-2,the first FF sequel. (the GB ones are SAGA,not FF) More refined garbage that offered fan pandering,as well as the great job system from,FF3 and FF5.Yay.I could go off into spin-off heaven right now,but I'm talking about FF.

FFXI got caught up in the MMO craze at the time,as single player fans fresh off of FF Tactics Advance looked around for something to do.Square was busy.So Atlus hooked'em up.IMO,FFXI's expansions got out of hand.Way out of hand.

FFXII came back with the warring universe of Ivalise (FF Tactics,Vagrant Story,and Tactics Advance] and some of the battle system from FFXI.I think a lot of people don't like it because you are in control of everything again?(You can always choose not to be though) Maybe it's because the old school fans embraced it? I enjoyed it because,the less Nomura the better,and it was flat out fun.Unfortunately,thanks to him and his fans,FF will forever be dumbed down because that's what they wanted.Especially now that SquareEnix merged,and Sakaguchi left to make Mistwalker Studios.Nothing exciting is going on.No more must haves,beside the spoon fed 3 parter.

That's my opinion though.Just ignore it.People like what they like, and hate what they hate,but If you look around right now,there are people still questioning the love for FFXII,just as I question the love for anything Nomura touches.To me it's like Square USA taking over and bringing us nothing but FF Mystic Quest,all over again.Don't dumb down our RPG's,Square.

animehermit wrote:
reminded me a lot of VI, which is m favorite in the series.
I agree,I just wish that Square USA would have brought out Seiken Densetsu 3 with their home grown,rip off title,Secret of Evermore.Instead of getting just Evermore and turning people into angry importers with an agenda.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
FFXII is one of, if not my all-time favorite. I can boil the reasons down to these two:

1) Basch. Basch is my favorite character ever. Don't ask me why, he just is, and any game he's in is automatically a must-buy for me (hence my import copy of Itadaki Street portable on the PSP.)

2) I love that it sticks with the 'liberate dinky lil' redneck country' plot, instead of the usual schtick where the villain for whatever reason decides to take over or destroy the world. Honestly, I don't think I can name another RPG were you aren't Saving the Whole World by the end, so the small scale is very refreshing.

Now if only I could read Japanese better so I could get more out of the manga... Laughing
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hey, what's wrong with Cyber Maid Alice! It's like virtual loli pr0n - you could be as misogynist as you like without taking it out on real girls, right? Twisted Evil

Sarcasm?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
You'll also find a video of talk-show hosts poking a flustered Alice while real women look on, laughing as a digital maid is stripped of her uniform and her dignity.

No, I won't. I've seen enough of this.

It seems like everyday, I read about something else that makes me want to distance myself more and more from "anime fandom". Sure, I still love the shows themselves, but so many other fans are just so so depressing.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Their ranksalso feature Skies of Arcadia's Vyse and Aika, and I plan on immediately marching both of them in front of the nearest enemy tank.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Yes, I hate Skies of Arcadia. Like poison.

You, sir, are one very unfortunate soul.

Very, very unfortunate. Sad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Cyber Maid Alice: No no no! I don't like making girls cry. That disturbs me that people want to make a maid miserable. Virtual or not, that's sickening. Otaku who fap to maid costumes will probably get it. Sickos (sorry, I hate the maid-obsessing freak culture).

Riz-zoawd: Well, I have to say turning the Wizard of Oz into a JRPG seems cute and creative. I mean, look at the Dorothy of Oz manwha, which I'm dying to read the next volume of. If it's done with a creative flair, I have no arguments. Besides, Japan has a habit of taking old stories from any country and giving them some new life.

Super Robot Wars Z: Again? Geez, when is this franchise going to die? It's hardly that interesting. It's the same crap over and over again. I guess mecha fans will never get over thinking giant robots are the coolest thing since remote controlled cars.

Valkyria Chronicles: Wow Todd, what's with the Arcadia hate? I'm impressed characters from a great though dead RPG are making a cameo in this. That's nuts and awesome at the same time. I better tell my Arcadia fan friends. Anime hyper

Yu Yu Hakusho: Well now, I would have said "Awesome!" here but if even a fighting game which is supposed to be based on an extremely popular series lacks at least a tiny hint of a kind of story mode (whether canon or not), then it kind of kills it. Too bad...
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
That maid game...kinda weird. Technology sounds cool, but...meh. Here's to hoping that Ninja Storm has some laughable voice acting. The Ultimate Ninja games were fun, but what beats Kakashi's yell in the original when he gets hit by someone's special technique? Or Tsunade's? Anyway, I'm not normally a fan of SRPGs, but Valkyria Chronicles seems interesting. I'm also hoping that FFXIII doesn't use a turn-based fighting system, or if they do, it's like FFXII's, which I immensely enjoyed, unlike X, X-2 and whatever else was the other one...it's been a while.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Sarcasm?

Just angling for consistency. Laughing
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

I was initially pretty excited about FFXII, not because it was another "gorgeous-looking RPG with spoken dialogues", but because it involved the staff of Vagrant Story , which happens to be one of my favorite games of all time.

At first I was pretty much blown away by the setting, the different races and cultures, not to mention the historical connections with FFT and Vagrant Story. The battle system wasn't all that great but I could've lived with that, it was actually the dry, disjointed narrative that turned me off. I continued to play for hours, hoping for the story to get better, but it didn't. Some FFXII fans made fun of me saying that I didn't enjoy the story because "it wasn't being spoon-fed to me", but I liked Xenogears and Digital Devil Saga in which the stories required thinking and some research in order to be understood, and I thought that Vagrant Story, which was made by the same team as FFXII, had a lot of convoluted political scenarios and machinations, too bad their next game lacked that.

I also find it funny how people would trash FF8 (which I loved by the way) because they claim that charcaters outside of Squall, Rinoa and Laguna didn't get any development, yet they praise this game despite its lack for any character development.

That's just my issue with FFXII. I know it's different with everyone, and I hope that FFXIII would surprise me and turn out to be a good game, and while we are on the subject, I think that FF7 is overrated and not all that great, I grimace every time someone calls it "the best RPG ever made." Razz
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I think a lot of people don't like it because you are in control of everything again?

Quote:
I enjoyed it because,the less Nomura the better,and it was flat out fun.

Seriously? No...In my humble opinion if there was one thing XII wasn't it was fun. Maybe our definitions of fun just differ though. I define fun in an RPG as having a deep battle system with a variety of features and options to customize. Perhaps you define fun as being able to just sit back (and perhaps enjoy some delicious popcorn) as the game plays itself. I mean yeah, you don't have to just give everyone the strongest weapons and armor and let em automatically beat all the enemies down but lets face facts, it's all you need to do. The hand full of skills are all largely unhelpful and the only magic you need is cure on auto-cast. Enemies are all basically the same in the end and require no special tactics. Anything useful will be bought in stores, not found so there is no point in exploring. Well, I guess there's loot...which you can...sell to buy stuff from stores. Of course if you get bored of the main game you could always go on hunts and fight more generic monsters for more generic loot. Fun fun fun.

Sorry, if you did find XII fun, then good for you. What I can't stand though is when people like you get all arrogant and act like those of us who didn't must just be simpleminded idiots who can't handle anything that isn't spoon fed to us. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I disliked XII precisely because it required no degree of thought to play.
Uthred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

as for that maid game, I loled hard at it. I especially liked the part where she started to cry, then he gave her a present and she was happy, lol.

I enjoyed FF IIX, but if you think it had no sci-fi overtones you must have kept your eyes closed for a lot of the game.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Why is it that FFXIII is the only part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that looks decent? Final Fantasy in general has been pretty disappointing for years, though I usually give each new game a chance (through rental, generally), but the other two just don't really interest me at all. Sony really needs to step it up, because I still don't have any reason to own a PS3 and even though I have a PSP, Agito doesn't look very appealing (especially if it's similar to Crisis Core).

On a completely unrelated note, if you guys are seriously freaked out by that cyber maid thing, well... honestly, I don't know what to say. I guess it really isn't "normal", but it's certainly far from "disturbing".
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Sony really needs to step it up, because I still don't have any reason to own a PS3[...]

Mine is Disgaea 3. I can't really explain why, but all those Atlus/NIS strategy games are completely engrossing to me. And even though Disgaea 3 probably doesn't need to be on PS3, it gives me an excuse to buy one. Smile Hello Blu-Ray
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5