• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman and the Broken Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:02 am Reply with quote
=
Quote:
As I recall, SoW first asserted that he suspected this to be the case. Later on he simply asserted this, without backing it up with, you know, proof.

Call the neurology department of your local hospital, that's what I did. I am currently attempting to get access to an EEG machine to verify my hypothesis.

Quote:
The brain has to work just as hard to assimilate and comprehend visuals as it does to assimilate and comprehend text, so SoW's assertion is silly.

You're seperating. It's visuals, text and a foreign language in active comprehension. Dub watching is passive

And I'm stopping now, since the original comment was supposed to go out as a PM, and the mods have forbidden me to discuss it. Any and all are welcome to continue through PM.[/quote]
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, another flare up of the old sub vs dub debate.

Well, I used to be more for subs. Sometimes I'll watch a sub still and not just fansubs of new stuff not out yet. Still I am leaning more towards dubs. Thankfully, dubs have gotten better. Plus I've come to realize a number of things.

I know that reading sometitles is less passive and you do use your brain more. Yet if I wanted that, I'd go read a book or check out the manga. When I watch anime, I want to watch something cinematic and not be ditracted by having to read dialouge.

Also, if you want something closer to what the Japanese watch, I assure you that the Japanese don't read their Japanese diaouge as text at the bottom of the screen. They listen to dubs. They don't use subs for these anime. Are the Japanese mentally lazy watching anime?

As for live aciton films like Crouching Tiger or Passion of the Christ, that's a bit different. Live action dubs are in their nature harder to do and lip synch. Plus from what I've heard, live dubs just aren't quite as good as anime dubs. We should be thankful anime dubs have improved so much. As for Passion, it was a historical movie and the dub in other languages, dead languages, was due to this.

Also, a number of shows just seem more right in English. A couple of my favorite series, Hellsing and Berserk, are set in British or European settings and the Japanese doesn't quite suit it as well.

Then again, as was said, it's a matter of personal preference. Yet when dealing with getting anime on TV, the general public will prefer dubs. Plus you're trying to get anime to new people, it's best to present it in their native tounge.

-Xenos
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Passion wasn't "historical" in any sense of the word, unless you count the how the source material's been used to incite hate crimes and genocide.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh and as for the hardcore Kenshin fan, I kinda related to some of his complaints about the music and also the manga. Yet I would never be all that up in arms about it. Though I gotta admit I am know to rant sometimes and go rather fanboy over some issues. Yet with that I can take it. I did get the "director's cut" and am a bit cheesed that music was changed. Yet it's simply cheaper. Plus I want to watch season three before I see the Reflection OAV in the box set. I hate how they packed that. Also I just happened upon that "director's cut" uber cheap while shopping with a gift certificate.

As for the manga, I'm sure it's better or at least you lose things in the anime. Hell, I love the Hellsing manga, but I also love the anime. I can only hope they make more and include more of the great stuff from the manga. I am rather glad Viz is coming out with the manga slowly. I hope to someday read it, but I am buying too many mangas and comic right now as it is. Plus I'd already seen the first two seasons of the series at an anime club, so the manga isn't as high on the list, but I do want to check it out. Also, I happily hear it's selling excellent anyway.

-Xenos
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I just can't help but think that the whole fact that the sub vs dub debate is still going on is too comical.

I mean, seriously, there are good dubs and there are bad dubs. There are good subtitles and bad subtitles. And when you get both on a DVD just pick the bloody one you prefer and watch it.

The only time we have the right to complain is when we aren't given the option AND when the presented language is not the intended material. (Examples of times when we don't have an option where we still don't have the right to complain; Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Guess now Ms. Answerman better stay away from making comments about Sub vs. Dub.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I mean, seriously, there are good dubs and there are bad dubs. There are good subtitles and bad subtitles. And when you get both on a DVD just pick the bloody one you prefer and watch it.

And in the end, this is the best way to put it. Nicely said Craeyst.

GATSU wrote:
Iron:
Quote:
At my work, there are a couple of guys who are casual anime fans, and they both HATE looking at subtitles (which is what I prefer).The reasoning is that it's TV, so minimal effort and thought need to be exercised. Kind of sad, really.

That actually supports my original argument. We, as a society, commodify art, and thus attempt to distill it for our own convenience. That it was view it as a distraction within our time window, not as something which stimulates our thought processes, and thus we settle for a "summary"(in this case, dubs) rather than an explanation.

Actually, Gatsu, what I was trying to get at was that these people don't like subtitles because they don't like to read anything, period. My statement was a little ambiguous, so that's my bad. I didna mean to spark the sub vs. dub debate for the 1,039,985th time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Passion wasn't "historical" in any sense of the word, unless you count the how the source material's been used to incite hate crimes and genocide.

It would be nice if you could refrain from inserting your unasked for religious opinion into this topic.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
GATSU wrote:

It would be nice if you could refrain from inserting your unasked for religious opinion into this topic.

GATSU is all about inserting unasked-for opinion in to discussion topics. Just ignore him when he does that. It'll make your brain hurt less.
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I just find that I don’t like the sound of the bad voice actors of dubs so I’d rather read subtitles than listen to it. My only complaint is dub fans use the fact the dubs are better nowaday as an arguing point. Better than “Really Bad” dubs just means they are “Bad” dubs.
Lucca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
To the last question:

I remember watching "Grave of the Fireflies" in my Sophmore year of High School for my History Class, along with that we read the book "Hiroshima". It's a great combination in my opinion. I'm sure if he asked the respective higher-ups he could get permission to show the movie in class.

If worse come to worse, I know that certain IB ( http://www.ibo.org/ ) schools use the movie in their English classes, and compared it to what they've read in a certain book... but I've forgotten the name of the book, and none of my IB peers are online, sooo.... :/ Yeah.

So for the record, the movie has been used in a classroom setting before. Just thought I'd mention that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mizushimo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I also preferr watching a good dub over subtitles, it brings me closer to the characters and the anime if I can instantly understand what they're saying rather then having to track my eyes across a line of text and then look up at the action.

Even though I'm a voracious reader(and I've been watching subs for years), I often have to go back several times or pause on a particularly wordy block of subtitle to read it all the way before it disappears into oblivion. I got so lost watching the sub of Generator Gawl(granted, it was pretty badly timed) that we ended up watching it mostly dubbed, I thought it was pretty good despite the liberties they took with the dub script lol.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't think Americans don't like to read, despite our literacy rate being lower than most third-world countries. It's just a bunch of marketers who think we're too stupid to appreciate anything heard in another language. Plus we're not really taught to value education as much as money, so we view films in terms of economic value. (I.E. "subbed means it's slower and thus I get less done.") CTHD and Passion's success means you can sell a film in any language as long as you emphasize its appeal. (In CTHD's case, it's martial arts. For Passion, it's Jew-hating and getting off on Jesus dying.) As for Grave of the Fireflies, you gotta make sure your fellow students don't have relatives who fought on our side during WW2, because otherwise they might be offended and call you a "pinko American hating terrorist sympathizer" and report you to John Ashcroft.

From CIA Factbook

USA

Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 97%
male: 97%
female: 97% (1979 est.)

BTW, ever heard of the Rape of Nanking or the Bataan Death March?

I know, I know, Don't feed the trolls.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:
Better than “Really Bad” dubs just means they are “Bad” dubs.

Hmm.. or maybe "good"?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
ex_mutants wrote:
Better than “Really Bad” dubs just means they are “Bad” dubs.

Hmm.. or maybe "good"?

Or "really good." Quite a few "really goods" out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4