• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo on Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
Nan Desu Kan has always had a very strict anti-bootleg policy, thanks in no small part to some very stanch anti-bootleg supporters on staff.

The one thing I appreciate is that there is normally a panel that focuses on how to tell the difference from a legitmate item and a fake. I love that samples are used as well. I wish I could provide some samples myself however in order to get them I would have to... pay bootleggers. Catch 22.

I wish other cons would have such panels (but who really is qualifed to run them?).

Oh man... If I did run one... and the shitajiki panel, and gathering... man... I would be busy at cons.
Abel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:
But how often does one see a dealer selling tons of legitimate merchandise and one or two excellent bootlegs?

Often. Vendors that sell legitimate items are not as suspect when it comes to bootleg items. One CD vendor who for years sold legitimate CD mixed in badly made copies and eventually got caught and ejected from A-kon a few years ago. It was a shock to everyone since for the past decade he had been legit. Other vendors will mix in a small amount of bootleg items with a bunch of legit goods. Heck even if I see that they are 95% legit I wll not suspect them of boots. At one NDK I pointed out that one vendor had Korean unlicensed clear file. They look really good however the thing to notice on them is the incomplete copyright information and the fact that they come with seals. Price is also an issue since they are cheaper.

To this day I still have new fans come up and what a shitajiki is (Often I have to say "It's a pretty picture on a piece of plastic"). You often hear some fans state that ignorance is an excuse for why they bought bootleg. I sincerely believe them. I was ignorant about them and I am sure that many fans have something that is bootleg which they obtained prior to learning about it. Information is power and sadly it is that information that those who run and manage events have to learn. The worst part about it is that with the high turnover that cons have, those knowledgable ones get replaced by those whom lack that knowledge.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit to having purchased bootleg materials to sella couple years ago. We didn't realize they were bootleg until they arrived, which we then turned around and sent back. Even then I think a few slipped through our inspection because of the quailty. We don't have anything left from that shipment, and believe me, I'm happier for it.

DVDs, CDs, and most wallscrolls are easy enough to tell. It's books and whatnot that we have problems identifying at times, especially when we want to deal in imported goods. Here's the best guide I've seen:

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

I actually have a bootleg Studio Ghibli DVD box set that the local bootlegger dropped off as a peace offering. I tried to put it out as part of an anti-bootlegging display, but all I got asked was if the box set was for sale. After the third person asked, I decided to take it down. I'm planning on donating it to NDK's anti-bootleg panel.

If the conventions take a firmer stand against bootlegs, many people will fall in line, especially in there local area. No one wants to lose that much business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2