• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Girls Turned Into Literal Chess Pieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowsdower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, I wish that the chess piece designs were more abstract. Maybe each character's color scheme or something. As it is, I find the weird, armless bust concept kind of ugly. Confused
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Where are their arms?! Shocked That's a little disturbing. But at least spoiler[Mami still has her head!! Anime hyper] If they had arms, I'd be tempted to buy these and actually, you know, play chess.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
These are some of the ugliest Chess pieces I've seen in a while.

I had to double-read the sentence detailing the price. What a shock they're reasonably priced. Did someone drop a number by mistake?

I heard this series wasn't the typical magical girl show. Clearly evident when we can see they all pulled each other's arms off.
Razz
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
So I guess Madoka and Homura took the next step to get married to be King and Queen.

The designs look kinda meh, and I don't really play much chess (like any really).
QuinnM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Literal Chess Pieces

Turned into "literal" chess pieces? There is no need for "literal" in that sentence unless literal has some other chess meaning that I am not aware of.

They have either been turned into chess pieces of they have not, there is no other interpretation possible, therefore "literal" is redundant there.

English, it's not hard people. -_-
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:
Quote:
Literal Chess Pieces

Turned into "literal" chess pieces? There is no need for "literal" in that sentence unless literal has some other chess meaning that I am not aware of.

They have either been turned into chess pieces of they have not, there is no other interpretation possible, therefore "literal" is redundant there.

English, it's not hard people. -_-

"Literal" is used in this case because people have long discussed (in Japan and overseas) how the girls in the Madoka Magica story were turned into figurative pawns in a high-stakes game affecting the entire world. Now, Takara Tomy A.R.T.S is literally turning the girls into chess pieces, albeit not pawns.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ralphmerridew wrote:
Kyoko has an explicitly religious background, so she should be the bishop.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

Would you make Sayaka the Knight and Mami the Rook, or the other way around?

Mami would be the Rook I think. spoiler[Sayaka fits as a knight given her desire to be a "hero of justice" and all that. Plus in chess the Rooks are generally rated higher than the Knights or Bishops I believe, and since Mami is probably the strongest magical girl in the series aside from Homura (and of course Madoka) it fits there as well.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
So I guess Madoka and Homura took the next step to get married to be King and Queen.

Except Homura should be the King. I mean, it's obvious who wears the pants in their relationship.

. . .

No, I kid, I kid. Homura is Madoka's little biatch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2