• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I am Late to the Party But THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hayate and Other Shows will get another chance!

Will they? Will they really? FUNI already has a big enough backlog of licenses as is. If Sentai doesn't get it, who else will? I actually hope another company rises up, with a similar LE model like Nisa. I mean, the less companies out there, the less chance of ever seeing a physical release. Especially nowadays...
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Definitely NOT the way I hoped for the year to start Sad

Thanks Bandai for Scrapped Princess, Code Geass, E7,Gurren Lagann and Cowboy Beebop

On the other hand, here's another dissapointed Gosick fan. Crossing my fingers that FUNI will be interested (and cast Chris Burnette as Kujo) but will buy subbed if it's available.
ValNero001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
While I find this to be very sad news, I'm also not surprised. I was a big fan of Bandai back in the day. They released some of my favorite anime like Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Fantastic Children, Freedom, My Hime/Otome, and the Please Teacher/Twins series but the last couple years they have gone downhill and made some stupid mistakes. At first it was just annoying things like problem disks being shipped out like Eureka7 vol. 11 and a volume of My Hime. Then it was the cancellation of the final collectors box of Lucky Star. Then they just turned into complete morons by pulling dubs. I paid full price for ALL the dot Hacks, all My Himes & My Otomes, and all of Lucky Star. Then they release their OVA specials as subbed only? What the hell? Then other shows that I was looking forward to only got sub only releases like Hayate The Combat Butler. At least if you look hard enough you can find the Animax dub of Hayate which is pretty good, and since it doesn't have an official US release, better then nothing (or in the case a subbed only release). And while I will gladly put down money for 3/4 of anime releases from any US company, if there is no dub, I won't touch it, no matter how much I want to because then the release is just a glorified fansub. And if I wanted a fan sub, I'd can probably find one online for free. And with current dvd software, I could burn them all to dvd complete with menus, music, and no company logos you can't fast forward through.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Also: WTF is going to happen with K-On! Season Two?! Does this mean we're never going to see it get released over here?!

Someone else is guaranteed to pick it up. Whether they get the same voices though, I dunno.

Guaranteed? Really?

If the first season of K-On! were actually a big hit sales-wise (e.g. it sold as well as it did in Japan, or all the R1 "fans who absolutely love the show" actually bought it), Bandai Entertainment might not be in this situation.

Do we even know if they actually made money on K-On!'s R1 sales?

I'm not sure how many other companies will be willing to pay the licensing fees and dubbing costs on the second season and movie, if the first season didn't make money.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
And the real kicker (the kick right to the balls) is the fact that Bandai is ass at digital distribution. It'd be one thing if they'd put up Turn A Gundam (or other shows) for download on iTunes, PSN, Amazon, etc., for download, but given how they've done it in the past, if we are ever lucky enough to see 'em online, it'll be $3-5 an episode... just to RENT.
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope Funimation or Sentai picks up Gosick. Sentai did a nice job rescuing the Rozen Maiden license so surely they can grab a similar niche title like Gosick, considering it has a sizeable Western fanbase.

otherwise I will be a very sad panda Sad
TronBonne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely disappointed that Jade's manga has been cancelled, it was only 2 volumes.....*sobs* But I will thank them from the bottom of my heart for deciding to continue releasing the rest of the Tales of the Abyss anime, and for giving us the Asch manga.

I can't say I own too many Bandai titles. I only have all the limited edition singles for both Code Geass seasons, Tales of the Abyss, and Clamp School Detectives. I do want to pick up some of their other stuff (Sword of the Stranger, etc), but some series are just out of my price range (Hayate the Combat Butler singles, some of their Gundam titles).

It's sad to see them go, even if I didn't like their business model of single DVDs. And I hope the people who get laid off are able to find new jobs.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
From how the post reads, Bandai isn't loosing it's licences. They only way for companies like Funi and Sentai to get shows like Nichijō, Turn A Gundam and Gosick would be for Bandai to turn into something like Enoki Films. Enoki Films licences shows and then Sub-licences the show to places like Funi. Since they aren't declaring bankruptcy, they still control all their assets.

That's the key thing most people are missing. They aren't releasing the shows, per se, but will be doling them out to other distributors. How much of a role they will play beyond the licensing process remains to be seen, but they are no longer doing the heavy lifting, at least distribution-wise.

On another note, I imagine that with Gundam, some of the people at FUNimation and Sentai would be more than excited to get their hands on future titles, given how some of them are fans. It should be very interesting to see how they or someone else would market the franchise and if they could push it up to the forefront that it has long sought. And ironically, it looks like Nichijou and Gosick may actually be handled by the "expected parties", rather than the surprise one in Bandai Ent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
TronBonne wrote:
I'm extremely disappointed that Jade's manga has been cancelled, it was only 2 volumes.....*sobs* But I will thank them from the bottom of my heart for deciding to continue releasing the rest of the Tales of the Abyss anime, and for giving us the Asch manga.

Yeah I'm most disappointed on the Jade manga not coming out Sad At least we got the anime series finished before then and both Asch mangas!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I am Late to the Party But THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hayate and Other Shows will get another chance!

What makes you think Hayate will do well in the US? The manga's release is about as bad as Excel Saga's, which for a Viz release is a sign of not so good sales, plus the anime probably didn't do so hot.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Guys, NOBODY has said they are sublicensing DVD rights to other distributors. In fact, all indications are of the opposite, wherein they will just keep the discs in print until their rights expire. That could be a year from now, that could be seven.

We'll have more details in our interview tomorrow.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

What makes you think Hayate will do well in the US? The manga's release is about as bad as Excel Saga's, which for a Viz release is a sign of not so good sales, plus the anime probably didn't do so hot.

It was kinda hard for the anime DVDs to sell well, asking $320 MSRP was sheer insanity, (as an example considering the lack of 50 episode length on the market considering how things are mostly smaller cours now) the entirety of FMA:B on BD and an additional 13 episodes MSRPs is just $10 more. You can buy Hayate S1 for cheaper in Japan than here, and that's saying a lot considering the market's prices.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Guys, NOBODY has said they are sublicensing DVD rights to other distributors. In fact, all indications are of the opposite, wherein they will just keep the discs in print until their rights expire. That could be a year from now, that could be seven.

Would they still keep DVD rights for the stuff they cancelled, like Nichijou and Gosick? Or do they forfeit them?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I was going to buy those DVD Crying or Very sad
I was really looking forward to gosick. it was easily one of my favorites of this past year.

RIP Bandai USA
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I know that much for the older series which is just fine. However the newer series they did pick up should be left to another company in physical media means. I am actually looking forward to this interview, and it's time for me to go bargain bin diving again i see..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 24