• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winter is Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
But I do remember seeing an explantion for Bettenou, I forget if it was in the show itself or by one of the translators for the show but it was something along the lines that she was spoiler[a false god created from words, I think propaganda, and like all propaganda she was only as strong as the beliefs people had in her. [spoiler/]

Oh that's really interesting, and makes perfect sense with the rest of the show.

I really liked Un-Go. The first two episodes were kinda meh but after the Kazamori arc it was great. I think it was the addition of Kazamori to the cast that made it so much more interesting, injected that little bit of humour that I really enjoyed. If it were released on DVD I'd buy it *looks at Siren Visual*

On Chihayafuru:

Megiddo wrote:
That said, the execs are mainly looking for the anime to increase the sales of the manga.

I really hope the manga gets licensed >.<]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Aww, folks are still ragging on Guilty Crown? The last few episodes were great!

spoiler[Gendou starts the Human Instrumentality Project], and spoiler[he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids]. Instead, spoiler[Minmay sings the song that calms the Zentradi], leading the spoiler[bee fairy to stop destroying No. 6]. But then spoiler[things go to heck when V.V. appears and screws everything up].

And the fact that I can describe the plot entirely by simply explaining events in other series in no way indicates a lack of creativity and originality.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who noticed why episode 12 of Persona 4 went the route it did, can I?

Episode 11 ends with everyone wondering if things were truly over, with Yukiko wondering if that meant they would no longer be meeting together like that. Yu seems to be shaken by the idea of that. They ponder over this the next day and it seems to stir him up a bit to where he speaks up saying "Not yet."

Episode 12 continues this by focusing on the one character we actually haven't explored yet - Yu. At the start, we were lead to believe Yu's a blank slate that wasn't meant to have much of a personality because he's supposed to be a silent protagonist that you control in the game, thus you decide what he's like (hence his given name being a play on the English word "You"). Episode 12 addressed that Yu built a connection with the people he met and genuinely did not want to lose those ties. We saw that he had anguished thoughts in his mind that he might lose the friends he made because of everything going on and that he worried about the prospect that he might not have mattered to any of them if he didn't have his Personas and the problems involving the Midnight Channel were no more.

Yes, it did bounce around a bit and seems confusing at first viewing, but Episode 12 was the episode we finally explored the main protagonist. It wasn't out of left field, either, since Episode 11's ending signaled he was having mixed feelings over everything and did not speak up about them.
tojik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

Although I like the anime I have to say the game is much better, so if you like the anime you should play the game (its one of the best RPGs for a reason).

My personal take is that they compliment each other really well. A lot of the story parts in the game made me cringe, but they've been tweaked in the anime and I find them a lot more fun.

I'm just disappointed the anime doesn't seen to be making much of an impression, especially on newcomers. I was hoping it would make more of a splash and pave the way for P5.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I like Phi-Brain but it is made for those who appreciate puzzles. But it does seem as if the writers are struggling to come up with stories. It would probably have been perfect as a 13 episode series.

I was hoping Fam would be as good as the original Last Exile but it shares about as much with the original as the Star Wars prequels do with the original series. It's nothing more than a few fights with aircraft and a bunch of girly stuff. And no plot.

Hunter is about the only other show on your list that I'm watching. I'm looking forward to Natsume but it looks like the only new show of the season that interests me.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
tojik wrote:
I'm just disappointed the anime doesn't seen to be making much of an impression, especially on newcomers. I was hoping it would make more of a splash and pave the way for P5.

Even if it's not impressing people here (it is for me, personally I think it's the best video game adaptation so far), it's still selling well in Japan from what I've heard, plus it's getting a remake and a fighting game sequel. I'd say there's a good chance of Persona 5 happening down the road.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
That said, the execs are mainly looking for the anime to increase the sales of the manga.

I really hope the manga gets licensed >.<

Last night, I glanced at CDJapan to see if they had more than the first three Blu-rays listed, and was surprised to see them selling a Chihayafuru (manga) Vol. 1 under the Kodansha Bilingual label. Its release date was only a couple of weeks ago. I'm tempted to get it to encourage Kodansha to keep producing them (although I'd prefer a printed US release).
Rankarana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Guilty Crown is pretty horrendous, only haven't dropped it because it's got into Fractale-style amusingly awful territory, without being quite as insulting as that earlier saviour of anime.

UN-GO, on the other hand, was quite wonderful. There's little chance of a second season, I believe, due to the original 1950s novel basically having been exhausted (and try digging up much information on it; not fun!) and that's good. It ended coherently, wittily and in much the same way as the rest of the show. Why can't Shinjuro just rest ;_;

Your issues as per plot might be answered by the prequel movie that came out in Japan as the Bettenou arc was starting, Episode 0: Inga-ron. It explains Shinjuro and Inga's relationship, and possibly more about Bettenou.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Aww, folks are still ragging on Guilty Crown? The last few episodes were great!

spoiler[Gendou starts the Human Instrumentality Project], and spoiler[he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids]. Instead, spoiler[Minmay sings the song that calms the Zentradi], leading the spoiler[bee fairy to stop destroying No. 6]. But then spoiler[things go to heck when V.V. appears and screws everything up].

And the fact that I can describe the plot entirely by simply explaining events in other series in no way indicates a lack of creativity and originality.

Pffft, hahaha, that was rich. Nice one. XP

Still going all the way with Persona 4, as a loyal fan of the game series as a whole and of course P4 itself is still a great PS2 game...though I'm sure that PSP port is going to change a few minds.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I watched at least the first episode of almost every Fall series, but watched only six of them to the end. My favorite of the season was Bakuman 2. That is a show which grabbed my interest with episode one and hasn't released it since, even though it is now at something like episode 38. My second favorite would be Persona 4--rather than the fight-of-the-week show which I had feared it would be, it's a fun and funny show (although it seemed that after the teenagers investigation moving at a crawl for ten episodes, the solution is basically handed to them in episodes 11 and 12). My third favorite is Future Diary, which although riddled with screw-ups somehow remains an intriguing story. Fourth is Mawaru Penguindrum. I haven't watched the last episode yet, but my feeling is that it has dragged on longer than it should have. Fifth and sixth are Morita 2 and BokuTomo, but in all honesty I can't call those particularly good shows.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
Guilty Crown could be better, I think, but I'm curious as to what kind of ending noitaminA will manage given two seasons to work with, rather than one. I think it might be worth finishing to have as a benchmark to compare their other shows to (if nothing else).

Better use Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile or even Shiki for that purpose.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Rednal wrote:
Guilty Crown could be better, I think, but I'm curious as to what kind of ending noitaminA will manage given two seasons to work with, rather than one. I think it might be worth finishing to have as a benchmark to compare their other shows to (if nothing else).

Better use Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile or even Shiki for that purpose.

All of which were based on manga or novels, not original anime stories.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
I can't be the only one who noticed why episode 12 of Persona 4 went the route it did, can I?

Episode 11 ends with everyone wondering if things were truly over, with Yukiko wondering if that meant they would no longer be meeting together like that. Yu seems to be shaken by the idea of that. They ponder over this the next day and it seems to stir him up a bit to where he speaks up saying "Not yet."

Episode 12 continues this by focusing on the one character we actually haven't explored yet - Yu. At the start, we were lead to believe Yu's a blank slate that wasn't meant to have much of a personality because he's supposed to be a silent protagonist that you control in the game, thus you decide what he's like (hence his given name being a play on the English word "You"). Episode 12 addressed that Yu built a connection with the people he met and genuinely did not want to lose those ties. We saw that he had anguished thoughts in his mind that he might lose the friends he made because of everything going on and that he worried about the prospect that he might not have mattered to any of them if he didn't have his Personas and the problems involving the Midnight Channel were no more.

Yes, it did bounce around a bit and seems confusing at first viewing, but Episode 12 was the episode we finally explored the main protagonist. It wasn't out of left field, either, since Episode 11's ending signaled he was having mixed feelings over everything and did not speak up about them.

You nailed it Smile Since Yu is basically the "new character" not seen in the game since there his personality was chosen by the gamer, the anime needed to focus on him a little.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I really hope the manga gets licensed >.<

Last night, I glanced at CDJapan to see if they had more than the first three Blu-rays listed, and was surprised to see them selling a Chihayafuru (manga) Vol. 1 under the Kodansha Bilingual label. Its release date was only a couple of weeks ago. I'm tempted to get it to encourage Kodansha to keep producing them (although I'd prefer a printed US release).

Omigosh really?! I always buy from CDJapan! So tempted....
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
My favorites this season (in no particular order, since I liked these for different reasons):

Chihayafuru - for the same reasons as everyone else. It's awesome.
Un Go - This show was really unusual. spoiler[Fasciinating meta-fiction about conceptual gods!] Will buy this one when S23 puts it up for pre-order (also the only show that interested my husband, who is very picky)
Hunter X Hunter - This show is fun. I like how the writers remind you that Gon and Killua are still just kids from time to time. The Hisoka battle sequence in ep. 10 reminds me why I was originally attracted to shounen anime. I hope for more of those. Will be definitely continuing with this one.
Kimi to Boku - the humor and the way the characters are handled is very subtle. I'm glad I stuck with it, even though it was a slow starter. Plan to continue. (yeah, I know Bamboo and many others disagree, but that's ok.)
Fate Zero - Yeah, this one has a lot of talking, but some of the conversations are really interesting. My personal favorites being between Kirie and Archer Wink. The battle sequences are beautifully animated. This show was a particular surprise for me, since I expected "meh", and ended up loving it. Would buy it, but not at Aniplex's prices Evil or Very Mad.

Dropped:

Last Exile - Fam the Silver Wing - Some Last Exile stuf and characters mixed with a moe/cute-girls-doing-cute-things show. Surprisingly boring. So disappointed. Crying or Very sad
Future Diary - Repulsive characters and surprisingly silly. Watching wasn't really fun for me.
Guilty Crown - see above

I didn't even bother with the other shows, though I still might give Persona 4 more of a shot. From what I'm reading, Phi Brain isn't worth the little time I have. Would rather rewatch Natsume Yuujin-Cho in preparation for the new season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5