• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Studios Sue 4 'Heavy Downloaders' in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lothar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Maybe it wasn't a good idea to try to commercialize anime worldwide...

The irony is that earlier fandom (c. 1985-2000) thought that fansubbing would lead to great commercialization, and therefore more exposure of anime to a wider audience. While that's true to some degree, your average fan back then thought that "wider exposure" meant consumers would buy anime VHS/DVDs newly released on the shelves. We know now that this isn't how most North Americans watch anime because it's prohibitively expensive, and most have little use for collecting when they just want to watch. I think the earlier fans didn't realize this because they were the ones who didn't mind paying out money and wanted a collection, and assumed that other consumers would want the same thing.

I think fansubs reinforced the traditional model of commercial viewing rather than having new fans adopt VHS/DVD like the older fans hoped would happen. Just like commercial TV, fansubs aren't really "free" because of the time investment involved (e.g. TV commercials vs. downloading time). Fansubs gained popularity because it mirrored the already entrenched idea of "free" content. The ones who gained from the time commitment weren't the companies through advertising revenue (although they gained indirectly through merchandising), but the fan community itself through P2P.

Commercializing anime worldwide wasn't a bad idea. It was just done in a way that contravened what consumers were used to, and that's why we're in this war of attrition between producers vs. downloaders and pro-free culture vs. anti-copying people. Once anime gets on a Hulu-type model in subbed and dubbed formats, then the whole issue will finally die.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
JINROH wrote:
Here here ! I hope we see more people sued over this.I think the best way to hurt the downloaders where it counts the most,is the pocket book.Jail time and heavy fines is more then deserved in situations like this.

Some many so called 'fans' want nothing more then a free ride.
Many have little to no concept of right from wrong,or the value of the hard work of others.

If I watch anything past two eps,I buy it.I call it my fansub debt.I make regular payments to Rightstuf and YesAsia. Laughing

Near 5 grand spent US so far this year.Thats just on dvd's.

That's not really the point. Everyone knows all you said. What I belive we should debating is weather or not this is a good strategy to take, regardless of if it's right or wrong. See, it's not that the company wants to protect their profits, it's HOW they choose to do it.

Also....I'm gonna download forever anyway. (flame starter)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Anon-Onii wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Oh boy. I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of people here who'll disagree with the idea that DVDs are a failure. Sure they aren't fast, but they're great for collectors. And don't even try starting the whole dub vs sub argument because it's old and right now I'll tell you that a lot of people DO want dubs, and they're not terrible, but people who started off on fansubs tend to have trouble with this.

Hmm. I wont try to tell people whether they should or shouldn't like DVDs or dubs over anything else, you are right in that those arguments belong elsewhere. However: this topic and these prosecutions are looking at fansubs, and the problem we are dealing involves people who are fans of subbed anime. These people may like the delayed dubs and DVDs too, but they clearly have a demand for subbed files, a demand which is not being met by any of the ways in which most anime is normally released. Don't forget that these fansub fans are the people we are talking about, and the fact that you might not be one and don't share their frustration doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Despite the needs of 'collectors', DVDs are not being seen as an alternative by a large number of fans. Timeliness and convenience are factors. But also cost. Not the fact that there is any cost at all, but the fact that most of it is unnecessary cost. No matter how much it costs to hire a server and a few translators, it costs much much more to hire voice actors, a studio, design a DVD and its case, press the DVD in a factory and ship it to stores. These things are unecessary, and take time as well as money. Fansub fans do not want them, not at the cost of years of waiting. They are willing to pay, but the product being offered is not what they want.

Greed1914 wrote:
Also, while people may be frustrated, it still doesn't legitimize fansubs. Heaven forbid that a show not be available immediately because it would be impossible to wait.

You can argue that nothing that is illegal can be legitimized, but there exist shades of grey. An example I would make would be if the government banned electric and hybrid cars to protect the current model of petrol and oil. Would it be wrong for people to secretly use those cars? Wouldnt that show demand exists for change, and that the oil industry is outdated, just like the current anime distribution system? For people that are satisifed with dubs and DVDs, they will still be available, just like oil and petrol would still be available alongside hybrids. A stronger but less relevant example would involve Nazi germany..

Cars and fuels are not even close to what's happening here. In your example you point out something that would be an unjust law. Since when are copyrights unjust? If we didn't have them then no form of media would be made because nobody would be obligated to pay for it. Besides, there is a demand for cocaine and meth, but that doesn't mean that we should change the law to allow those. So if you really want to use examples that are way off subject, then please go ahead because there are equally useful ones for the other side.

Cenebi wrote:
Good job completely ignoring my argument altogether, instead focusing on the fact that I download anime, which is irrelevant to my argument's validity.

Quote:
To bring up another belabored point: you don't hear dub fans complaining when they purchase bilingual discs, do you?

I wasn't even aware they made bilingual discs, and I'm sure if they could buy a cheaper DVD that had only their own language on it, they would.

To clarify, I don't think I have the right to download anime, nor do the fansubbers have the right to sub them. What I do, and what I have the right to do are not always quite the same.

You'd be hard pressed to find many Anime DVDs that weren't bilingual. And I think that most DVD buyers enjoy having the option. The fact that I don't have tha option is what keeps me from buying any of Media Blasters's recent sub-only releases.

melonbread wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
melonbread wrote:
This is not the way to solve the problem.

How about an alternative solution instead of a simple statement? And while it may not "solve" the problem, it's always a good idea for companies to let people know that they will protect their products.

It's a well know fact that going after downloaders does nothing to solve the problem. At all. If you're going after anyone you need to go to the people who run illegal streaming/download websites, or people uploading vast amounts of anime, but that's really not any kind of solution either.

The solution is putting out a product faster than that of the fansubbers, as we're seeing happen finally.

I was going to write in my original post that I thought the anime companies were just sueing these people for the money, but I just decided to post a statement.

Why act all high and mighty about it?

If you had said ANY of that stuff the first time to explain your statement, then it would be fine. However, you chose to make a simple statement that implied that you had a better idea without actually offering one.

Also, some others keep offering the idea that because so much downloading goes on tha companies should just roll over and not bother to protect their material. If they make it then they have a right to get something for it. Sure all this is definitely a sign that better methods need to be in place, but it still doesn't change that current laws give a company the right to sue for copyright violation.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It was pretty dry.Funny though.

Anyway.

How many people download? Millions do.Everyday.

How many people get caught each year? People here and there do,few if any.

So when exactly,are the millions of downloaders supposed to fear this propaganda? IMO It's a dream of an impossible justice.They would have to do something pretty damn drastic to stop all these people.And even after they have sued these 4 heavy downloaders,I still don't think they'll have the money to do it.

I can understand and accept the fact that downloading is something that is never going to be stopped. However I think that by doing this though, you need to get after whoever you can. Millions download everyday, and you would think that when you're downloading your chances of getting caught are pretty slim, but I sure wouldn't want to be those one in a million people that ends up getting caught and scrounging for money to pay back these companies. You may think that it will, but it can happen to you.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
@JINROH
Even if people do not want to pay a even a cent for anime, they are still fans of anime. If they weren't fans, they wouldn't watch them and they wouldn't take the risk of getting sued for the hobby.
Okay, they don't support the producrs/publishers by buying DVDs, but they are still true fans of anime!

Sueing fans is the wrong way!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
@JINROH
Even if people do not want to pay a even a cent for anime, they are still fans of anime. If they weren't fans, they wouldn't watch them and they wouldn't take the risk of getting sued for the hobby.
Okay, they don't support the producrs/publishers by buying DVDs, but they are still true fans of anime!

Sueing fans is the wrong way!

I would argue that a true fan knows that they need to contribute at least a little bit monetarily. I'm not so foolish as to believe that people should pay for everything they ever watch, but not ever paying for it doesn't really help because then they're just bypassing payment and looking at illegal options as a replacement.
Clobclark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I would argue that a true fan knows that they need to contribute at least a little bit monetarily. I'm not so foolish as to believe that people should pay for everything they ever watch, but not ever paying for it doesn't really help because then they're just bypassing payment and looking at illegal options as a replacement.

I think you need to start searching for a new user name Mr. Greed.

Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Clobclark wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I think you need to start searching for a new user name Mr. Greed.

Very Happy

Nope, I look at it as a form of motivation for people to better themselves. I want more money, therefore I work to get it. Wink
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing against act of downloading media content. It's another way of obtaining media among young generation, so I can't say no to inevitable. So far most people expressed their opinion as consumers, but not from producer/distributor's point of view. Japan itself is not a major player in worldwide media distribution. Here's the core issue that media distributors have to deal with.

How can we gain foothold over media distribution via internet so that we could make profit from someone's act of downloading?

Making profit is important not because these people are just business people. That profit pays your favorite Anime shows and motivates other venture capitalists to invest on new shows.

Here's another thing to think about:

And why do fansubs and file sharing getting subjected to legal scrutiny and heavy downloaders getting lawsuits?

It's the financial implication. Something that fansubs and many file share networks took lightly. Ideally when someone in US downloads latest episode of Bleach from Japan, TV Japan should receive a percentage from an international advertiser, right?
Unfortunately that never happened and it's not helping financially FRUGAL Japanese media industry including animation, TV, and movie. Once again, Japan doesn't have media distribution power as the US. Honestly, I don't know anyone from fansub community took initiative to make internet media distribution of foreign media as profitable business. So far, there is no win-win situation yet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Lothar raised some really good points above. The whole central issue that drives fansubbing in the first place is that anime is marketed to the R1 consumer in a way that's unlike just about every other television series out there. We're all used to watching ad-supported shows as part of a standard television lineup, whether they be carried by a free broadcast network, a member of the basic cable lineup, or a channel available only via digital/satellite. Even though we're technically paying for two out of the three options, we don't think of them in that light, since television has become a utility akin to water or electricity that we pay for without thinking of what we'll specifically use them for. And it's only after a television series has made the big ratings bucks on the air that it's released on DVD in a reasonably-affordable format in order to recoup some additional (and sometimes substantial) profit. With anime, though, outside of the rare series that manages to make it to domestic television, the distributors are left with obtaining the vast majority of their profits from direct DVD purchases, which is a model the North American consumer is completely unfamiliar with as a whole. Without that try-before-you-buy opportunity that normal television affords, many of us use illicit means to determine what purchases we'd like to make.

I can't really say that there are titles I own that I wouldn't have bought if I had been able to watch them on TV first, since I saw the vast majority of my collection (either legally or illegally) before purchasing it anyway. And I think that becoming an anime fan has turned me into a DVD collector in general, to the point where I'll go out of my way to purchase American movies and series that I might not have beforehand. But having the option of being able to fully, legally watch anime series and weed out what we'd actually be interested in buying while simultaneously supporting the industry would be a massive bonus. Outside of the very recent streaming overtures that several companies have made available, the only service that exists to fulfill that role is Netflix.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I don't think downloading, prostitution and drugs can be compared in this manner.

The one thing they do have in common is debate, but that's pretty much the end of it.

With drugs, the "victims" are the users. With prostitution the "victims" are the prostitutes. And finally, with downloads, the "victims" are the creators/producers/vendors.

With drugs and prostitution, the "victimless" argument states that the victims are themselves choosing to be involved in this activity and therefore, as long as the activity isn't forced on them, they are only hurting themselves, if even, and everyone has a right to hurt themselves as long as no one else is directly harmed.

This argument does not apply to downloads at all, because the "victims" are not willing participants.

With downloads, the "victimless" argument states that there is no victim because nothing is actually being taken from the "victims." No "theft" occurs in the traditional sense of the word, and the "culprits" aren't actually doing anything to the "victims."

On a completely different note, it's still apples and oranges even if the two "victimless" arguments are false. Much like theft can't be compared with murder, the alleged ill-effects of piracy don't hold a candle to the alleged ill-effect of drugs and prostitution.

Copyright and it's other "intellectual property" brethren are topics that requires serious discussion and perhaps serious revision. However trying to draw parallels with completely dissimilar topics doesn't aid the discussion in either direction.

-t

However, I'm in the camp that theft is theft. If someone creates art for profit & someone else runs off copies which means the original artist sells fewer copies, then how has the artist not suffered a loss? The whole "It's not a crime because the original copy is still in the originator's hands" is smoke & mirrors. Anime is made to be viewed so if FansubbersRUs fansubs Kuroshisuji & it does well on the fansub level, but then no one buys it should it get licensed here so that if it does make it to a 2nd season, the licensee doesn't bother due to the poor sales in the locality, how has the licensee, the licensor & me, a probable buyer of said title considering I'm faithfully buying the manga from a local Japanese bookseller not been inpacted negatively?

In the same way, I hate to inform you the image that drug users are ONLY impacting themselves is very, very, very wrong. Just yesterday I was looking for a missing client & one of the phone numbers was to the grandmother of the woman's children who told me she hadn't seen my gal in over a year. That's over a year since the kids saw mom also. I can't even remember how many of my daughter's school friends were in the care of family members other than parents due to drug use. My teen's best friend has a gambling addict for one parent while the other likes drugs.
Not to mention all the things these addicts steal in the name of paying for their addiction. Every time I speak with a parent who says something to the effect "He hangs out at street A & Street C" I wonder just how badly one has to burn one's parents to get to the point they can speak to one in such a distant manner.

As for prostitution, there's their own kids they have, again any family they might have & the family of their victims that get to deal with diseases brought home, possibly leading to divorce, etc.

We're already seeing less the "victimless" act of downloading messing with American licensors. If fansubbing/filesharing somehow magically vanished tomorrow & people actually HAD to pay for their anime/use legal channels or do without, then we could test this theory everyone has that downloading is actually good for the industry, but it won't ever happen because of how we got to this point. It's moved from the "spread the good word" VHS tape days to fansubbers working to be the first to get titles up for their own glory even though the industry has been saying it's killing them.
It's not their glory to seek. They had NOTHING to do with the production
How is that not also affecting people other than the company that made the anime itself? If they're making less anime, that means manga artists who MIGHT have seen their stuff licensed & thus maybe made a few more bucks in the deal don't get that compensations. We hear about the lousy pay at the lower levels of anime production which, if anime were to receive more of the money some of us believe is being lost to fansubbing the increased demand for work might increase the pay of the lowest of the low in anime production.

So from where I stand the whole ripple effect cause from downloading IS impacting me & everyone else here who DOES choose to not download. I had to wait a year to pick up with Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyoji, Saiunkoku & Hellsing Ultimate. ADV seems to be on life-support & we still aren't seeing Sgt Frog or other titles.
Prostitutes are not the only victims of that "crime"
Drug users do not only hurt themselves
And those who download anime are hurting all other anime fans.

They all have a ripple effect that impact many, many others
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Can we compare this to "America is addicted to oil" analogy?

...Guess not.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
kevin_video wrote:

That's actually a really dumb comeback, and rather pointless too. See, that's like saying that every single possible TV show you ever watched, especially right through, you should be paying for. Should I be sending you a bill for reimbursing that childhood of yours? Or any of the series you watch now on TV? How about everyone else? Should they be paying for what's on TV just because they happened to watch it right through? No. We watch it because it's available. That's why. If it wasn't there, then the temptation wouldn't be there. Why do we watch what's on TV? Do we like it? Maybe, but not necessarily. We watch it because it's on. Sometimes it's because it's the best of the worst that's on during that time slot. And in before all the "well it's licensed, and the commercials help pay for it" blah blah blah. So? It's still just a matter of it being there. Just because it's licensed doesn't mean that the commercials are going to pay for the terrible ratings it's geting if no one's watching it.

I don't know where you live, but where I come from, I pay money to watch TV. You see, I have this magical thing called a 'cable bill' I agreed to give the cable company money every month, and in return, they broadcast TV channels into my home for my viewing pleasure,
Not only that, but the people making these TV shows are aware of, and have agreed to, having their shows broadcast on these channels so that I may watch them. I'm not doing it begind their back, or against their wishes. And it's all 100% LEGAL. You can't say the same thing about watching a fansub.
Comparing watching something on television to watching an illegal download is ridiculous, and shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Honestly though, I don't get why anime fans think that television is free. Makes me think a lot of them are still living with Momma and Daddy and having the cable bills paid for them.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

I don't know where you live, but where I come from, I pay money to watch TV. You see, I have this magical thing called a 'cable bill' I agreed to give the cable company money every month, and in return, they broadcast TV channels into my home for my viewing pleasure,
Not only that, but the people making these TV shows are aware of, and have agreed to, having their shows broadcast on these channels so that I may watch them. I'm not doing it begind their back, or against their wishes. And it's all 100% LEGAL. You can't say the same thing about watching a fansub.
Comparing watching something on television to watching an illegal download is ridiculous, and shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Honestly though, I don't get why anime fans think that television is free. Makes me think a lot of them are still living with Momma and Daddy and having the cable bills paid for them.

Um but buying DVDs is also not equivalent to watching something on TV even taking into account commercials and cable fees.

I do think of fansubs as the closest equivalent to watching something on TV (that doesn't mean I think they are exactly the same thing.) If I like something I watch on TV I buy the DVD. I don't buy DVDs for things just to watch them whether it is anime or not. However I do buy DVDs because I want to own a series I already saw and enjoyed (technically since I watch very little TV most of what I buy is anime DVDs now adays).

If the series I watch through fansubs were available on paid for cable TV (which I already pay for) then I would not see the need for fansubs.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
*downloads a few fansubs while placing an order with RightStuf*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10