• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses High School DxD TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
This modus operandi is far from new: remember what afforded AD Vision to pay for Evangelion - their Softcel brand.

But I gotta remember the rationales here the next time Hollywood releases the same old, same old. Laughing
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
well hurray for dxd to get license & dub by funi indeed so want check dub give freezing funi dub.

now if keep up only matter of time till manyuu hikenchou will get license or dub.

or til we wait for this one animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-29/sekai-de-ichiban-tsuyoku-naritai-manga-has-tv-anime-in-the-works
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
*sigh* FUNimation, you wonder why my respect for you is dwindling. Instead of re-releasing the Geneon titles you rescued long ago (Like Lain and Haibane Renmei!!), you just waltz around grabbing crap like these. You wonder why Discotek is now officially my all time favorite anime licensing company.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
Lets see...Some of my recent Funimation purchases include

Casshern Sins
Rideback
both seasons of Spice and Wolf
Princess Jellyfish
One Piece
Badlands Rumble
Hetalia

Yup, ecchi like High School DxD is totally the only thing Funimation is putting out nowadays. Just like Sentai is only putting out stuff like Infinite Stratos and Motto To-Love Ru and Media Blasters is only putting out Queen's Blade (which is actually really good, but it has boobs, so no one cares).

Nope, neither of those three companies have any kind of diversity in their acquisitions. It's ALL ecchi being put out nowadays. Nothing else. Just tits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, threads like this seem to exist solely so certain posters can come and publicly proclaim how much they hate - HATE, I TELL YOU - animated boobs and panty flashes. I really wish ANN would install some dispensers here so that these fine, upstanding, sophisticated viewers could get their hero biscuits in a timely and convenient way.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
*sigh* FUNimation, you wonder why my respect for you is dwindling. Instead of re-releasing the Geneon titles you rescued long ago (Like Lain and Haibane Renmei!!), you just waltz around grabbing crap like these. You wonder why Discotek is now officially my all time favorite anime licensing company.
I think Funi said on a recent ANNcast that both of those were in licensing hell for a while, which is why they haven't been released yet.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Konopan wrote:
Absolutely heartbreaking.

Why can't the booby show I actually like (Manyuu Hikenchou) be licensed? There's already Demon King Daimou for the "lame-action-fantasy-full-harem- except it's actually a parody and there's some full frontal exposure because we ran out of bad and almost OK jokes because this isn't a show like Zombie Deskcar" genre of anime. The only thing this potentially offers over that is S-Cry-Ed references. And the ED.

I'd like to see Manyuu Hikenchou here too, and likewise Seikon no Qwaser 1,2, but complaining about it, and lamenting on Highschool DxD is totally ironic. Like Sekirei, both are "Boobies FTW" type shows (Manyuu Hikenchou waay more so, obviously) so if this does well it provides more incentive for Funi or MB or whoever to license those.

Plus, all the whining and complaining here will be like 10x if that got licensed instead Laughing

I imagine the pitifully low numbers Manyuu has on sites like MAL (only half the people have watched it compared to High School DxD, and its complete and had a 6 month start) scares license companies from it. Its really only aimed at one audience (massive boobs), while shows like this try to appeal to fans of all types of boobs.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I see people saying that tits and ass will make them a lot of money, but I think this attitude has put a ceiling on the acceptance of anime in America. When you talk to people outside of the anime community about it, their impression of it is formed by these "let's make a lot of money" titles. I don't really care if someone buys or enjoys High School Titties. I just think it is a shame that so many great shows will NEVER get released in the US.

When the hell will we see Nodame Cantabile?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I see people saying that tits and ass will make them a lot of money, but I think this attitude has put a ceiling on the acceptance of anime in America. When you talk to people outside of the anime community about it, their impression of it is formed by these "let's make a lot of money" titles. I don't really care if someone buys or enjoys High School Titties. I just think it is a shame that so many great shows will NEVER get released in the US.

When the hell will we see Nodame Cantabile?

The thing is that shows like High School Titties (heh) don't stop what you would consider great shows from being released. What stops those shows from being released is that there is not enough people like yourself who are willing to buy them. So don't blame High School Titties for that.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok so Funimation licensing a title with boobs isn't all that surprising anymore. Unless I've missed recent release trends, I think there's something far more surprising.

Quote:
The six monthly Blu-ray Disc/DVD volumes for the High School DxD television anime...

From a quick look at the show's page, there are a total of 12 episodes. So I'm assuming we're going to be getting 2 episodes per disc (and a bonus video). I highly doubt these are going to be priced relatively cheap. It would seem that Japan's release style is actually coming over here to the US. Though I don't expect these DVDs to retail at $60-80, I don't expect them to be under $25 (20 at the lowest).

*Tin foil hat* After Bandai's withdraw from the market over a similar issue, it puts a new angle on Funimation's decision to sue ADV/Sentai (especially since they are acting on behalf of ARM/Sojitz).
[/b]
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well hurray for dxd to get license & dub by funi indeed so want check dub give freezing funi dub.

Back in April 2011, Funimation announced the U.S. and Canadian home entertainment, broadcast, digital, mobile, and merchandise rights to Freezing. A release on DVD and Blu-ray was set for 2012, which of course means a dub.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Roguespider wrote:

Quote:
The six monthly Blu-ray Disc/DVD volumes for the High School DxD television anime...

From a quick look at the show's page, there are a total of 12 episodes. So I'm assuming we're going to be getting 2 episodes per disc (and a bonus video). I highly doubt these are going to be priced relatively cheap. It would seem that Japan's release style is actually coming over here to the US. Though I don't expect these DVDs to retail at $60-80, I don't expect them to be under $25 (20 at the lowest).

Huh? Confused

Unless I'm the one misreading things it says...

Quote:
Tetsuya Yanagisawa is directing at the anime studio TNK with script writer Takao Yoshioka and character designer Junji Goto. The six monthly Blu-ray Disc/DVD volumes for the High School DxD television anime series will ship between March 21 and August 22, and each volume will have an original video.

Talking about the Japanese release (singles) not the North American release (which will be a box set like all other FUNi releases and it will most likely will be released either in the Fall or Winter after the "waiting period" to prevent reverse importation).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Roguespider wrote:
Ok so Funimation licensing a title with boobs isn't all that surprising anymore. Unless I've missed recent release trends, I think there's something far more surprising.

Quote:

*Tin foil hat* After Bandai's withdraw from the market over a similar issue, it puts a new angle on Funimation's decision to sue ADV/Sentai (especially since they are acting on behalf of ARM/Sojitz).
[/b]

It's talking about the Japanese release. Chances are that this won't be released by FUNi until around Christmas, or later. Like their Asobi ni Ikuyo! license was from AX and isn't being released until this spring; and that show will be nearly two years old by then.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
... I really wish ANN would install some dispensers here so that these fine, upstanding, sophisticated viewers could get their hero biscuits in a timely and convenient way.

THAT needed a spew warning! :fallsoverlaughing:

do they have heretic biscuits too? 'because I'm up for that.
Is it ok to like story, style and jiggles?
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You can gripe all you want, but I believe the two Rosario + Vampire seasons have been pretty strong sellers for FUNi here in the USA (Nana Mizuki actually does a pretty good voice acting work, considering that "Outer Moka" and "Inner Moka" are such wildly divergent characters). As such, I'm not surprised FUNi got the license for the new series....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7