• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z DVD Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I just wish they didn't get rid of the Japanese music in the dub.

Actually, these new DBZ Season sets have the original Japanese music back in the dub now.

There's 3 audio tracks on the Season Sets:
1) Original Japanese Version
2) 5.1 English dub w/ Japanese Music
3) 2.0 English dub w/ US TV Broadcast Music (**avoid at all costs, sounds like low-rent techno wannabe garbage.)

** = IMO

Not entirely, character themes, along with other lyrical songs are not in that track. But that is not a very consistant thing, some of the Double Features have the character themes, others dont, and so on...
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Also some people liked the TV version of the music so it's no susprsing that it'll be included. At least it had the original.Hope it's the same for One piece when the full season box sets for that series come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also some people liked the TV version of the music so it's no susprsing that it'll be included. At least it had the original.Hope it's the same for One piece when the full season box sets for that series come out.

FUNi's One Piece sets have been coming out for some time now, and no, thankfully the horrific soundtracks of the 4Kids version are nowhere to be found on them.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I'm not against training in anime shows. I think they are important for character development and to some extent plot progression,. but do not need to be so long. I wouldn't say that all training episodes are filler episodes. If in the midst of a bunch of training episodes, an episode comes with the main character picking flowers in a field, then that's filler. YYK does training well with keeping it short and to the point. Two prime examples of this include spoiler[The first training period with Yusuke and Genkai. It's kept short and goes over it not all at once or as a whole flashback episode. It gives a bunch of it at first, then in the episodes following it goes back to some of it, which is a great way to do it.]

The other example is from a later episode where spoiler[The main cast trains for the Dark Tournament and while it spends a good part of an episode with the training aspects it doesn't spend 2 episodes going over everybody's training sessions.]

Filler isn't restricted to just being episodes and it isn't something conceived out from the gates. DBZ does training well and it doesn't need to be short like YYH to be good or great. It only seems long because there are many instances in the series with training. They do them in between other scenes too. One thing DBZ does well at is building up events that are to come. If you need to take long to make something work you do it.

Xanas wrote:
As far as comparisons of DBZ to other long-running Shonen series I think you kind of have to expect lots of similarities since in many ways those are based off DBZ.

Now that said, I think DBZ is weaker in many ways than Naruto especially. Naruto's supporting characters get to shine a great deal more than the ones in DBZ. The unique combat styles and skills also make things a bit less predictable. DBZ is a whole lot of fun, but you are hardly surprised at the multiple transformations/etc. after seeing one round of it.

Oppositely speaking, Naruto is weaker than Dragon Ball Z in a lot of ways. The characters in Naruto do get to shine more but to a degree I'm not impressed with. Too many flashbacking in and out between scenes. Also, explaining stuff that gets pretty irritating. It tries too hard to be deep. Naruto IS predictable. It uses ideas that are hardly original plus could be found in many other anime series before it. DBZ is unique in how it uses its plot. It has twists that turn events around. The characters have a charm to them that can be identified with. They have variety and each adds humor to the series.

DBZ delivers when it gets going. If you like battles and something fun you come to the right show. It's got many defining moments. Especially to where one might say to themself that they want to see what happened during the show again.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Vuwazy, I don't deny that many of the ideas are not unique to the show, such as power gained through training, or as the result of necessity. That being said, I don't agree overall that Naruto battles are cliche and predictable in comparison to DBZ. I also... can't really think of a twist in DBZ, even though I do like the show. Can you provide an example? Perhaps I'm just not thinking of one?

Naruto does have a lot more flashbacks than DBZ, but I like that myself. It's a good way of portraying backstory even though I would probably prefer that they do it as a set of episodes instead of as extended scenes in the middle of a fight. It's more difficult to fit that much time in though and they may only want to include a small amount of real data about the past so they can reveal something else later.

I'm probably more in the Rurouni Kenshin camp on that issue (which has a whole arc related to the past, which you very rarely get a glimpse of prior to that arc). That being said, I don't find flashbacks annoying in the slightest.

I think both shows deliver fairly well. I can name multiple awesome scenes in Naruto off the top of my head and I can do the same for DBZ (though less characters come to mind as being in those scenes).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Xanas. Heck, any fight with Shikamaru alone is far more creative and unpredictable than any DBZ fight (save maybe Gotenks vs. Buu, but considering how much I despise Gotenks, maybe not the best example). Sure, occasionally they'll resort to "let's just beat the snot out of each other!" like Rock Lee vs. Gaara, but DBZ is hardly innocent of that either.

And yeah, for twists, I'm definitely not following. Should I even put spoiler[Frieza was the one who destroyed the Saiyan's homeworld] in spoiler tags? It's so obvious that you'd have to be asleep to miss it. Compare to some of the recent twists in Naruto Part 2, that are often surprising.

Also, why is every shonen after DBZ considered "unoriginal" but DB/DBZ themselves aren't? The Monkey King inspiration is flat out known, and the first few DBZ episodes revealing Goku's backstory practically scream "Superman". Besides, just because you're not the original doesn't make you automatically inferior. Oda has flat out said One Piece is inspired by DB, and OP is far superior as far as I'm concerned.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, why is every shonen after DBZ considered "unoriginal" but DB/DBZ themselves aren't? The Monkey King inspiration is flat out known, and the first few DBZ episodes revealing Goku's backstory practically scream "Superman". Besides, just because you're not the original doesn't make you automatically inferior. Oda has flat out said One Piece is inspired by DB, and OP is far superior as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. Still, while DBZ was not the originator of many of the things that it did, it was the series that standardized those elements as a core part of shonen action series.

And put me in the camp of people who finds the way Naruto handles flashbacks to often be quite irritating. That is, in fact, one of my single biggest gripes about that series. If you want a far better example of a (basically) shonen series handling flashbacks, look at Inuyasha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4