• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Cites PS3 Price, Downturn for Quarterly Loss

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
They're not favoring the PS3, they're favoring the license waiver.

If I understand you correctly then, you're saying that they aren't favouring the PS3 in that they aren't really favouring either console exclusively. If so, that's fair for the most part although really it's not a criticism of PS3 then (hence the reason your comments confused me originally).

The simple truth is that third party exclusives are a thing of the past. It just doesn't make much sense to limit your market to owners of one console.

Quote:
This is, again, a misconception of the events. The 360 didn't have exclusives, but rather developers went with the console with the cheaper development costs.

Okay PJ, whatever. I'm not interested in this pedantry. These games were only on 360. Ergo, they were 360 exclusive. I never disputed your reasons as to why they were 360 exclusive.

Quote:
I'd also like to point out Bioshock was released on the PS3 first, then the 360.

Yeah...as others have said, this is factually false.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually would say they're favoring the PS3.. Japanese devs, anyway, since the 360 isn't much of a market anymore in Japan. Where as Western devs will mostly develop for both systems since both the 360 and PS3 are viable markets in America. Outside the oddball Western developers like Ratchet and Clank/Uncharted, though those franchises started earlier on in the system generation, so they might be hold-overs. Depending if the next Xbox can broaden the market in Japan, it might become even more of a one-sided thing for Japanese developers.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
. Depending if the next Xbox can broaden the market in Japan, it might become even more of a one-sided thing for Japanese developers.

It won't, Japan hates anything made by non-Japanese people.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Outside the oddball Western developers like Ratchet and Clank/Uncharted, though those franchises started earlier on in the system generation, so they might be hold-overs.

Well Naughty Dog is owned by Sony and I believe the rights to all of Insomniac's franchises are too (although not the studio itself I think). They also own Sucker Punch (Infamous), Guerrilla Games (Killzone) and Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet). Microsoft owns Lionhead (Fable).

Meanwhile, every third party studio that used to develop for just one console is jumping ship. Bioware, Bethesda, Infinity Ward, Valve, Rockstar, Bungie, Square Enix, Kojima Productions, Tri-Ace, From Software. They all release their games for both platforms now. Team ICO is apparently going to after Last Guardian. The aforementioned Insomniac is supposedly planning to start launching new, multi-platform IP of their own.

Again, this is the thing. Third party exclusive games are basically a thing of the past. These days it just makes sense to release across both consoles whenever you can. Hence, it really doesn't make any sense to say that developers favour either console.

Quote:
I actually would say they're favoring the PS3.. Japanese devs, anyway, since the 360 isn't much of a market anymore in Japan.

I'm curious which developers you're thinking of. I really can't think of many. I guess the Tales series has been PS3 exclusive (since its brief foray onto 360). I'm not sure of anything else.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm curious which developers you're thinking of. I really can't think of many. I guess the Tales series has been PS3 exclusive (since its brief foray onto 360). I'm not sure of anything else.

Disgaea, Tales, Rune Factory, Monster Hunter (well there was one 360 game.. oddly enough America never got it), Yakuza, Hyperdemension Neptunia. Basically all the J-RPGs I've played of the last couple years. Then all those heavy Japanese/anime games we'll never see in the US probably, like Love Application and Otometachi no Senjou. And some of them do seem to throw a few exclusives to it.. like Square's upcoming Versus 13.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
Ah okay. You've got a point then.

Mind you, I still think my point largely stands. As you said, those games are pretty much the epitome of Japan-centric and Japan is obviously an exception given that the 360 has sold about a fifth of what the PS3 has there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2