• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime News Network Magazine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind I'd certainly give it a shot. But the website is certainly best for up to the minute news I think some nice long and hopefully quality articles could be published in the zine. Also specials that aren't released online until a later date (after the issue of zine has been out awhile) is a good idea. And keep the price low one reason I don't buy or subscribe to adv's magazine is its price
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:54 am Reply with quote
When a web site trys a magazine, I think of IGN and when they tryed it.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I think a mag would be a great idea. But, as previously stated, it's a tough business. To put together a full fledged magazine - not just a "fan-zine" type print-out - it takes a big investment of a lot of time and money. Also, magazines usually have information that's at least a month old - for those of us used to the multiple daily updates this site offers, a mag might tarnish your image of being the source for up-to-date news. That's the only thing that has stopped me from subscribing to new-type. Well, that and the hefty cover charge - free vs. $80/yr.
If you're really serious about something like this, why not try something like an e-zine. Put something together in a popular format like Macromedia Flash, and mail it out on CD-R. Or develop it for PS2/Xbox. With today's CD Duplicators, speeds are much faster than printing a whole Magazine, and most everybody has access to a PC, PS2 or Xbox. This might be the best way to go to make sure the info you put out is timely. Also, it could be much more interactive than just a magazine, which would make it more attractive, IMHO. Heck, you could even have previews, trailers, and advertisements to web links to help cover the production and duplication costs. PS2 and Xbox would probably be tougher to code/setup for and probably get expensive with licensing costs, but Flash sounds like a winner to me.
Whadya think?

That is a truly great idea. Instead of having a preview disc ala Newtype, the whole magazine could be a disc! You could include sample episodes, interviews, and convention video - all placed in an interactive format. I would most defianetly buy something like that. Disc magazines are fairly rare, although there are some in existance.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:50 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:

That is a truly great idea. Instead of having a preview disc ala Newtype, the whole magazine could be a disc! You could include sample episodes, interviews, and convention video - all placed in an interactive format. I would most defianetly buy something like that. Disc magazines are fairly rare, although there are some in existance.

Seconded. I rather buy the Disc than a Magazine. Just for not only novelty value, but also for ease of storage. A big box or 2 of 3 different magazines vs. a CD binder with enough room for 4 years worth.

The only problem I see is theft from stores. Unless you either incorporate a sensor tag into the CD or some sort of encryption program (i.e. you need to get a password from a site or the clerk, or the CD needs to access a site in order to work and use a unique password, so that the password can't be transferred), then the only way is ask/force retailers to keep it "behind the counter."
vherub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
This site does a great job of collecting and reporting on news. And the internet is a perfect venue for that. When you try to report news in a monthy format though, the content has too short of an expiration date. Traditional newsmagazines of the Time, Newsweek, US variety are on a weekly schedule- which would be far more work that what I imagine is being batted around.
So I suggest moving away from one of the key features of this site (the news) and focusing on the other parts that can get swallowed up by so much news (editorials/features/con reports/columns and reviews). The existing market of anime magazines, such as Anime Insider, Newtype and the rest are good for their own reasons, but I find lacking in their absorption, commentary and reflection. They seem focused more on showing pictures, and previewing upcoming shows.
What I really want is something akin to the NYTimes Book Review, but for anime. A collection of pieces on the works themselves, reviewed in a full manner and commented on. Not to say the reviews you have now are incomplete, but they do not lend a sense of authority to the observation. Currently if I want to know if I will enjoy a show or movie, I have to look around the internet, hit forums or possibly rent the show (and with multiple volumes, even renting just the first volume often gives a poor picture of how the entirety will play out). A site like AnimeonDVD does a good job on this, but there is still very much a market for printed reviews.

So

I suggest a quarterly magazine that has a dedicated, indepth review section on the one hand and expands upon the columns that normally appear here or the feedback that might result after it initially is set down along with new features that can be given a bit more time to work on. I would sugget approaching an establish anime magazine to see if an ANN supplement would be feasible rather than jumping straight into the whirlpool and hoping not to drown. Or even a magazine that might have an overlap audience and be open to the idea of giving 8 or even 16 pages of content with the hopes of attracting a larger reader base.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
i second that

but i'll do a third - have con footage ^^ show people what the culture is all about. This is also great publicity for the site hehe
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but i'll do a third - have con footage ^^ show people what the culture is all about. This is also great publicity for the site hehe

That's awesome - I totally agree, not everybody can go to all the cons, and there are different guests and pannels at most every con, so interview and pannel features, as well as cosplay stuff would be great.

And check this out - as a marketing ploy, setup some kind of package in combo with the first disk of a new series - free publicity!

I can't wait to get my first disk! Heck, I want to work on it! Cookie and Tempest - give me a PM!
chris keck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Dear Tempest,

In reference to what you said in a previous post,
tempest wrote:

/me is amused at how many people have assumed that this poll means we have actual plans to publish a magazine.

I curious about what actual plans you do have for ANN. In the news piece announcing this poll you said.
tempest wrote:
At Otakon this year we were asked what kind of future we saw for Anime News Network.

I tried to find some more in the Okakon article about ANN's future but could not. In February you had a poll asking if users would be willing to pay for "preimum service" on a dedicated server. Has anything come of that? Almost six months ago you posted two threads in the Forum asking for ideas to improve the Encyclopedia and My Anime. And, the Letter From the Encyclopedist used to regularly announce improvements to the Encyclopedia. There haven't been any updates since last October. Have you decided on any changes?

Does this magazine idea mean you're not planning any improvements for the website?

Best Wishes,
Chris keck
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
I curious about what actual plans you do have for ANN.

I've been wondering the same thing. I know someone had mentioned something about T-shirts being brought up during the pannel, but I haven't seen a full writeup listing just what was said at Otakon. I know he said here at one point he'd like to expand into other things like anime video games (durring the reviewer job search), but I'm not sure if that was part of this or just a passing comment.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
That is a truly great idea. Instead of having a preview disc ala Newtype, the whole magazine could be a disc!

A few people have already tried that. The closest thing to a complete DVD magazine (on anime) that has been moderately successful has been Anime Play, and even they found that they needed to increase the quantity of material in the print side if they wanted to survive.

DVD magazines are a great idea, but for now most people can't take a DVD on the bus with them and read it on the way to work. The most fortunate people have small tablet PCs with DVD players (rare), and can view it that way, but even the smallest tablet PC is big, heavy and clunky compared to a magazine, as well as very expensive.

Until a cheap and highly portable viewing device are readily available, I don't really see much potential in the DVD-Magazine market.

So if ANN did anything of the sort in the near future, it would be print.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
I tried to find some more in the Otakon article about ANN's future but could not.

Unfortunately we didn't have someone report on our AX and Otakon panel this year. I'll try to get someone to do it for NDK.

Anyways, it was just a quick question, with a quick answer. I essentially said,
[paraphrase]
"We do have some plans that I can't talk about right now (because the time table for them isn't certain yet and I don't like giving false expectations about something that may not happen for a while).

Generally speaking we plan to continue growing the site and adding various new features in the same way that we've been doing for the past five years. I do intend to move more and more towards paid, professional writers. It's hard to find good, dependable writers who will work free, we're very lucky with the writers that we have right now, but if we want to expand, we're going to have to start paying people professional salaries.

One thing that we don't have any plans to do, but I would like to see happen in the future, would be to have a print companion to the website. An Anime News Network magazine. Maybe we could take over one of the existing magazines like (jokingly) Anime Insider (Zac Bertchy was present in the audience)."

Quote:

In February you had a poll asking if users would be willing to pay for "premium service" on a dedicated server. Has anything come of that? Almost six months ago you posted two threads in the Forum asking for ideas to improve the Encyclopedia and My Anime. And, the Letter From the Encyclopedist used to regularly announce improvements to the Encyclopedia. There haven't been any updates since last October. Have you decided on any changes?

With Dan now working full time in Japan, progress on new features has slowed down a bit. We've been looking for a dependable programmer to fill some of that slack, and we've gone through a couple now, most of whom decide that they don't want to put the time in to work on ANN (see above about writers). Right now I'm working with a very promising new programmer, and I have high hopes that he'll stay for a while. But who knows, he might get a new job, or a new girlfriend, or a new hobby and decide he doesn't want to spend much time on ANN anymore.

The first three major projects we plan on doing, which have already been talked about, are the industry program (half done), the addition of manga and CDs to the release database (half done) and a slew of improvements to the forum (quarter done). After that, provided we get there, we'll look at other things such as the premium server.

Quote:

Does this magazine idea mean you're not planning any improvements for the website?

No, never. If we were to start a magazine (or take over AI :-p ) we'd continue all our work on the website. The idea would be to have two complementary publications (as opposed to two independent or two redundant publications), one in print and one online.

-t
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Until a cheap and highly portable viewing device are readily available, I don't really see much potential in the DVD-Magazine market.

Lookie at the portable DVD player....

Lookie Lookie. Very Happy
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:34 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
tempest wrote:

Lookie at the portable DVD player....

Lookie Lookie. Very Happy

I have a device very similar to that, only mine has a 14 inch screen and full function QWERTY keyboard. I lovingly call it a laptop. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

1) It's Clunky and heavy (compared to a magazine), you can't roll it up and put it in your back pocket.
2) Its expensive (but a start)
3) You try reading a magazine on a 7" screen
4) How often do you see people with these?

I'd take a full size magazine over this any day.
chris keck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Tempest,

Thank you for the update. When you ask for input from the members and there's no response from you for so long I wonder what's going on. Maybe I'm just impatient. I've been involved in several projects both at work and in volunteer organizations where it seems like everyone ends up talking about what we could do and nothing actually gets done.

I agree it's hard to get people to work for nothing. That's why slavery is so economically inefficient. If you posted specific projects that you need help with maybe there is something I could do. I enjoyed contributing some information to the Encyclopedia. I've always been something of an insufferable know-it-all, so I guess the accumulation of triva appeals to me somehow. I hope the anime information I can dig up and be of use to other enthusiasts.

chris keck
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4