• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Tars:
Quote:
Why should we even believe you?

'Cus it makes sense?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Still I think it's good that Aniplex is offering multiple price points, even if they are more expensive.

They're not that much more expensive, not with the automatic discount RightStuf puts on to every customer. We're not talking about an amount that is going to break the bank.

But yeah, you'd think with the multiple price points that people would just shut up and be grateful. Aniplex could have easily made this an exclusive release with <1000 copies up for grabs. Garden of Sinners had only 800 sets on sale, and all of them were snapped up fast. It would have been so easy for them to have gone the same route with PMMM, so people whining about the price really bug me.

Yes, we actually are talking about prices that would break my bank. I have to justify what I purchase, even if it is just to myself. I also, as I said, want to discourage the whole thought process that Aniplex is using. There is only *one* way that I can do that, which is through my wallet, as I said before.

The value of PMMM is a subjective thing, not an objective one. You clearly think that PMMM is worth $120+; I do not. I *have* paid that much (more, actually) for a series before, but that was for something that was out-of-print (Haibane Renmei, IIRC) and when I had a lot more disposable income. Neither of those things pertain today: money is a lot tighter for me, and PMMM is not out-of-print.

I can understand that you and others feel that paying what Aniplex is offering is totally worth it. If enough of you buy it at that price point, then I expect Aniplex will release more products in the future at higher prices because you'll have shown that the market can bear those higher prices. If that happens, the amount of anime I purchase per year will decrease, or I might find something else entirely to spend my money on that gives me better value for my dollar. That's just how things go.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Please. People hack DVDs all the time nowadays. So it's pretty easy for an R2 company to just add English subs to discs it wants to get rid of, because it overshot on its sales estimates. And those subs, even if accurate, look exactly like they were layed on the screen by a Japanese company. They take up a big chunk of the middle of the screen and are clumped together.

One cannot take a commercial DVD and add information to it. They are stamped from a master, in a process not entirely dissimilar to how vinyl records are made.

Yet you seem to be suggesting they added subtitles, changed the region code, added a dub soundtrack and somehow replaced the original menus with English menus.

Commercial Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs are all made using a similar process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FQzwNzUE4&feature=related
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
When Aniplex marketing is successful (and is the only survivor)... the other companies will probably adapt that one (high limited edition pricing and imports).

I don't agree to this. Aniplex doesn't appear to be stupid, and it shows because this is their production list and we can clearly see trying ask $70 for 4 episode singles of Hell Girl would have been laughed out of a market which didn't even buy the box set at $50.

Considering the niche market anime is, Aniplex seems to be trying a more direct approach of "If you don't want cute girls doing cute things, you're going to pay for it" and it seems to be working.

People need to remember: 2% of all works pays for 100% of it.

If the NA anime industry wants to earn revenue from disk sales, it's going to have to increase the 2% to 10% or raise its prices on in-demand titles.

The choice isn't difficult because to convert 2% to 10% is akin to the days of being original and we all know how well that worked out for the industry.
Reliak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tars:
Quote:
Why should we even believe you?

'Cus it makes sense?

It makes sense that Aniplex had so much leftover stock of Madoka, which sold an average of 70k copies per volume, that they took the DVDs they had already printed, removed them from their packaging, reauthored them to change the number of episodes/disc (because there are 6 discs in the Japanese release and only 3 in the US) and also the region coding, and then added a subtitle track and a dub, so that they could sell them in another part of the world?

I suppose it's possible. But it seems like it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to print new discs! And it's doubtful that there was really that much extra stock of Madoka in Japan, in any case.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But yeah, you'd think with the multiple price points that people would just shut up and be grateful. Aniplex could have easily made this an exclusive release with <1000 copies up for grabs. Garden of Sinners had only 800 sets on sale, and all of them were snapped up fast. It would have been so easy for them to have gone the same route with PMMM, so people whining about the price really bug me.

You make it sound like Aniplex is generously doing everyone a massive favour by not doing the Garden of Sinners thing with PMMM. Generosity doesn't factor into their release strategy. The reason they are doing it this way with PMMM is that they believe, quite rightly, that they will make more money as opposed to doing a Sinners type release. I'm still perplexed by the Garden of Sinners approach. I know there is money out there that would be instantly slammed into their coffers if they came out with a non-LE version of it. I find the ways of Japanese companies quite byzantine and perplexing at the best of times, so maybe there is some factor that we as outsiders are not aware of that prevents them from doing some other kind of Sinners release. If so, I'd love to know what it is.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I can understand that you and others feel that paying what Aniplex is offering is totally worth it. If enough of you buy it at that price point, then I expect Aniplex will release more products in the future at higher prices because you'll have shown that the market can bear those higher prices. ...

Its the expected difference in sales volume at the different price points.

Setting aside the Limited Editions, which are at a premium price compared to another release they also sell, in DVD's, Blue Exorcist is in half-season volumes, PMMM is in 4-episode singles, so the price of a single broadcast season is $60 for Blue Exorcist and $90 for PMMM. So Aniplex is saying they think $60 times the extra sales for Blue Exorcist is worth more than the $30 price premium times the sales at $90. And that $60 times the extra sales for PMMM is not worth as much as the $30 price premium times the sales at $90.

That sounds plausible to me. A whole lot of the "but I won't buy PMMM at $90" brigade are going to also be "but I won't buy it at $60" also.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

This is Aniplex, which is a division of Sony. They own the friggin' authoring houses.

Aniplex has to pay SonyPCL for its services like anyone else.

Just 'cause it's the same parent company doesn't mean it's free. Money changes on the books.

Q-tec is part of Bandai group and Sunrise has to pay them for everything, I know that first hand.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It's being released in Germany?

Damn, if it comes with a at least pretty good German dub, I'd love to see how German lolis sound. And I can practice my German, even with just subs.

http://shop.kaze-online.de/madoka-magica-volume-episoden-0104-p-1136.html

Apparently it is indeed getting a German dub.

agila61 wrote:
I wouldn't give up hope ~ if Madman is successful with it in Oz, then MangaUK would be faced with a series with an English dub already done and PAL video already mastered.

And I don't know if Madman has the BD licenses as well, but if they are pressing a region B BD, MangaUK could just go for the BD rights and just act as distributor.

Manga can't just distribute someone else's discs since they need to have the BBFC logo on them, which means they would only press them if they were pretty certain they could shift 3000 units (or price it high enough to cover the unsold copies).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Bitchin'.

PMMM is really popular. In Italy it's the most pre-ordered BD in the whole country on Amazon. And it's actually airing on Italian television.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
agila61 wrote:
I wouldn't give up hope ~ if Madman is successful with it in Oz, then MangaUK would be faced with a series with an English dub already done and PAL video already mastered.

And I don't know if Madman has the BD licenses as well, but if they are pressing a region B BD, MangaUK could just go for the BD rights and just act as distributor.

Manga can't just distribute someone else's discs since they need to have the BBFC logo on them, which means they would only press them if they were pretty certain they could shift 3000 units (or price it high enough to cover the unsold copies).

That'd be 3,000+ units total, between Oz and the UK, unless you know of any particular reason why Madman would balk at having the BBFC logo on their BD's.

I wasn't talking about just flogging unsold inventory.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne:
Quote:
One cannot take a commercial DVD and add information to it. They are stamped from a master, in a process not entirely dissimilar to how vinyl records are made.

Except you can't recode vinyl.

Quote:
Yet you seem to be suggesting they added subtitles, changed the region code, added a dub soundtrack and somehow replaced the original menus with English menus.

Well, if you can hack a DVD/BD player to make it region-free, I'm not sure why you can't do the same for the disc itself.

Reliak:
Quote:
It makes sense that Aniplex had so much leftover stock of Madoka, which sold an average of 70k copies per volume, that they took the DVDs they had already printed, removed them from their packaging, reauthored them to change the number of episodes/disc (because there are 6 discs in the Japanese release and only 3 in the US) and also the region coding, and then added a subtitle track and a dub, so that they could sell them in another part of the world?

Pretty much. And 70 k might seem like a lot, but it seems like it's only the LEs which got the bulk of sales, while the regular editions did pretty weakly in Japan. Assuming these stats are accurate. And even then, Madoka's not even one of the bigger hits. Naruto, One Piece, Shrek, and Princess Jellyfish outsold it. Hell, even Tiger & Bunny, and that show seems even more niche than Madoka.

Quote:
But it seems like it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to print new discs!

But then you gotta pay for those discs, and repackage them.

Blood:
Quote:
I'm still perplexed by the Garden of Sinners approach. I know there is money out there that would be instantly slammed into their coffers if they came out with a non-LE version of it.

Again, it's because they had inventory they needed to get rid of, since the price was too high for the Japanese consumers, too.

agila: Except Blue Exorcist isn't even dubbed like Madoka, even though it's based off of a manga which would have higher awareness than Madoka.

samuel:
Quote:

It would not make sense, since Sony would essentially lose money by paying twice for a facility it owns.

Quote:
Q-tec is part of Bandai group and Sunrise has to pay them for everything, I know that first hand.

I'm guessing it's because video editors are a dime a dozen. But if you're producing your own DVDs, there is no reason to charge one of your own subsidiaries for manufacturing costs. That is likely to put you in the red in the long run.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TheAncientOne:
Quote:

That's exactly what they're saying. They're saying the DVDs are printed in a way that they can't be recoded.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TheAncientOne:
Quote:

You haven't exactly told us how to add more data to a Blu-ray without ripping it and re-encoding it, either. I am curious to see what you can point to that shows how easy it is to add all those additional elements to a commercial Blu-ray.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, if you can hack a DVD/BD player to make it region-free, I'm not sure why you can't do the same for the disc itself.

How is getting a disc player to ignore the bits of data which say play/don't play anywhere near equivalent to changing the data on a commmercial disc?

Quote:
Reliak:
Quote:

Pretty much. And 70 k might seem like a lot, but it seems like it's only the LEs which got the bulk of sales, while the regular editions did pretty weakly in Japan.

Umm... There's a reason why "the regular editions did pretty weakly in Japan." Do a search on Amazon for "まどか☆マギカ blu-ray", and you will _only_ see listings for the limited edition. There are no regular edition blu-rays for Madoka Magica. Do the same for the DVD version, and you will see both limited and regular editions. If you look at this post, you'll see that Madoka did quite well with the average number of discs sold per volume last year, and it gives you an idea how the BD vs. DVD sales went... It gives you a point of comparison with other series (and Princess Jellyfish's average disc sales are shown in the post above, which shows that there's not much overlap between the anime and manga buyers for that title).

Quote:
Assuming these stats are accurate.

Which stats? I just see a list of articles that refer to Madoka Magica.

Quote:
And even then, Madoka's not even one of the bigger hits. Naruto, One Piece, Shrek, and Princess Jellyfish outsold it. Hell, even Tiger & Bunny, and that show seems even more niche than Madoka.

Eh? Are you talking about video sales, or are you talking about the sales of _all_ merchandise (novels, manga, video, toys, and all other stuff out there)? Japanese sales? US sales? As for Japanese video sales, then how about this post over on AoD. It looks like Madoka has done quite well whether you look at the average number of discs sold or the ¥ earned by those sales... When looking at _everything_ sold under a series' label, I can easily see how Madoka wouldn't compare to relatively mainstream shounen action shows like Naruto/OnePiece/Bleach/etc. There's relatively little manga based upon Madoka out there, and Madoka was very late in getting other merchandise onto store shelves.

Quote:
Quote:
But it seems like it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to print new discs!

But then you gotta pay for those discs, and repackage them.

How is that not what AniplexUSA has done? Press new discs with four dual-audio, subtitled episodes, create english-language packaging and put them together.

Quote:
Blood:
Quote:
I'm still perplexed by the Garden of Sinners approach. I know there is money out there that would be instantly slammed into their coffers if they came out with a non-LE version of it.

Again, it's because they had inventory they needed to get rid of, since the price was too high for the Japanese consumers, too.

I can see how you could perhaps say that if the US release of the import set came long after the sales in Japan slowed down and they had extra copies laying around all over the place, but when we got it no more than a week after the Japanese release?

Quote:
samuel:
Quote:

It would not make sense, since Sony would essentially lose money by paying twice for a facility it owns.

Sony will want each part of the company to show a profit, and Sony's disc-pressing subsidiary can't do that if they give their services away. It makes perfect sense...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny that even though GATSU has long exhibited this behaviour, some people are still unaware of how much of a waste of time it is talking to him. Pretty much the only evidence he's provided in this debate about DVD authoring is "talk to Justin". I'm not convinced by that and neither should anyone else. If Justin wants to come here and talk to us and back GATSU up, then I'll listen.

If you read his posts he's polite enough, but he just doesn't listen to anyone. Once he gets an idea in his head he refuses to accept that he could be wrong, even in the face of evidence that contradicts him. He goes off on tangents like you wouldn't believe. He claims that Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) outsold Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The former show bombed which I think is sad, even though I never watched it. The latter happens to be the fourth-best selling Anime series in history. Which outsold which now? Speaking of PMMM, he not only asserts that Tiger & Bunny outsold it as well, but he also says that Tiger & Bunny "seems even more niche than Madoka". That's just wrong; neither title is niche, and Tiger & Bunny must surely rank as one of the most accessible titles in years.

GATSU's a fountain of biased and incorrect information, and stubbornly refuses to change his mind when wrong. That is not an insult towards him or a personal attack, it is a statement of fact. So please people, do not feed him. If you want to waste your time pointlessly arguing, go argue with a brick wall. You'll still get the same result, and at least you'll be outside and getting fresh air. And hey, maybe the wall will prove to be better conversation partner; you never know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10