• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
No surprise, but Crunchyroll News confirms the stream will be sub only:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/14-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-puella-magi-madoka-magica-anime
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yet, at the same time, I am not going to pay what Aniplex is asking: $120 to own a 13-episode series is way too much for me.

Actually, it's only twelve episodes. But you can get the DVD release, I think that should be under US$100 for all three sets (excluding shipping).

You're looking at it completely the wrong way. This isn't just any show. If this was something boring or normal then maybe it would be too much money. But you're getting more quality in this one show that you would in several great shows combined. Therefore, that makes the show exceedingly good value for money.

So yeah, stop focusing on how many episodes you are getting for your money and instead consider how much awesomeness you are getting. When you look at it that way, the show goes from being a bit pricey (for today's fans) to being a massive bargain. PMMM is the sort of show that makes me glad to be an Anime fan. It's the sort of show that makes all those long hard slogs through countless mediocre shows worth it.

Do not delay, buy today.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
And so North America and Japan remain the only places where you can legally watch this show... I hope someone decides to pick it up over here, although I don't really see that happening.

All things in time; after all, it took us OVER A YEAR to get it legally over here!
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
May I ask why? Couldn't they have done this, I don't know, when the series was airing?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
May I ask why? Couldn't they have done this, I don't know, when the series was airing?

Better late then never?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Just a warning to Oz and UK enthusiasts: Crunchyroll is streaming it in North America only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Just a warning to Oz and UK enthusiasts: Crunchyroll is streaming it in North America only.

I expect Madman will most likely offer it, or at least some of it, on their website closer to the AU release date for the first DVD/BD (which is in April I believe). Still, makes no diff to me, I pre-ordered all the R1 LE's the moment they become available, gotta have that soundtrack.

The 3 week wait for oversea's shipping is soooo loooong. Rightstuf better have packed it well.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Actually, it's only twelve episodes. But you can get the DVD release, I think that should be under US$100 for all three sets (excluding shipping).

You're looking at it completely the wrong way. This isn't just any show. If this was something boring or normal then maybe it would be too much money. But you're getting more quality in this one show that you would in several great shows combined. Therefore, that makes the show exceedingly good value for money.

So yeah, stop focusing on how many episodes you are getting for your money and instead consider how much awesomeness you are getting. When you look at it that way, the show goes from being a bit pricey (for today's fans) to being a massive bargain. PMMM is the sort of show that makes me glad to be an Anime fan. It's the sort of show that makes all those long hard slogs through countless mediocre shows worth it.

Do not delay, buy today.

No I saw the series, a good show but not worth the money Aniplex USA is over charging for it and not giving you choices of where to buy it.

Even back when the market was mostly singles I can't remember having to pay this much for a series.

Edit: I might still eventually get it. Will at least wait till I can buy enough to get free shipping at TRSI. But I'm not happy about the pricing at all. Will probably re-watch the series on CR to decide how much I really want it at that cost.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
I am happily enjoying my LE set! And lest people forget that it is also a BD/DVD combo on top of the amazing soundtrack and all the goodies which are awesome as well!

I for one love BD/DVD sets, because I can watch the BDs in glorious 1080p when I'm at home and I can watch the DVDs on the go.

I wouldn't normally pay so much for 4 episodes, but with a show of this quality I gladly will. And, I already have the vol 2 & 3 LE's preordered!

I've already watched vol 1 twice subbed, and have yet to watch the dub yet, but I will probably watch it at least 1 more time before the next one comes out!

But, i do think it's great that CR picked it up finally. This is a show that everyone should see at least once.

But, if I were you, I would wait until CR has all of the episodes.
This is a show that is done justice by marathoning!
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
So Crunchyroll gave in and made a contract after all.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:

They sold out the limited edition on Rightstuf already I was gonna buy it on Friday but I guess I'll buy the blu ray only copy.

I was just there buying the second and third LEs, and the first one was still available: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/A72UPbSijN7bo9JY94/browse/item/93314/4/0/0
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah I just checked now and it says that more of the volume 1 LE will be arriving soon. So they are only temporarily out of stock for those who have yet to purchase volume 1.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I hope someone decides to pick it up over here, although I don't really see that happening.

Considering it's being pimped out all over the world, it's probably just a matter of when, not if.

Let's see...
So far, here's where it's being released (there might be more that I'm forgetting)...

Japan (obviously)
US/Canada
Australia
Taiwan
Italy
Germany

It's being released in Germany?

Damn, if it comes with a at least pretty good German dub, I'd love to see how German lolis sound. And I can practice my German, even with just subs.

And I want to pick up the Italian version, because Italian is the sexiest language alive. Or one of the sexiest. I'd say German is up there with it (if you actually know German, it's quite a nice language).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
I don't see why they are doing this so close to the DVD release....

It's to advertise the DVDs.

Anyways, I was shocked when I saw this. It does make for good advertising though and if there are already fansubs on the internet, then why not?

I've thought all along that Aniplex's strategy for Madoka presumed the existence of widespread illegal distribution and priced the product accordingly.

I've never believed industry claims that they don't pay attention to viewing figures for fansubbed releases. Given the reaction to Madoka in the fansub community, Aniplex could plausibly reason that demand was sufficiently intense to insure that a high-priced release would nevertheless still sell well in R1.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Edit: I might still eventually get it. Will at least wait till I can buy enough to get free shipping at TRSI.
But just buying one LE by itself will get you free shipping. Razz

MrHatandClogs wrote:
This is a show that is done justice by marathoning!
It's also a show that was a ton of fun to watch on a weekly basis because of all the speculah and discussion. CR won't be able to recreate that same atmosphere a year after the fact (except maybe for those few people who have managed to avoid knowledge of the show), but I definitely applaud the choice to space the episodes out like this. PMMM's frequent cliffhanger endings do make it a show pretty easy to marathon IMO, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10