• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Samurai 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:38 am Reply with quote
Darkener wrote:
a CON this weekend in Atlanta... how did I not know that...? Sad

on a side note... there isn't a chance FUN will put more then 3 episodes per disk?... I guess being more like Bandai or ADV is asking to much... Sad

Well, Spiral is going to be at 7 discs, and thats a 25/26 episode series. I geuss it'll depend.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:04 am Reply with quote
Ok, let's see if I can explain this like how my friend did. Ok, according to my one of my VA friends at Funi IT IS NOT FUNI'S FAULT FOR THE # OF EPS PER DVD! I used to blame them too, until one day my friend told me, it isn't them who makes the desision, it is THE STORES WHO WANTS TO DISTRIBUTE THEM!!! I'm not trying to sound mean, but I want to clear this up, because I used to think that way too. Very Happy AND REMEMBER, IT IS NOT FUNI'S CALL WHEN SHOWS HAVE TO BE EDITED (I know this doesn' apply to Samurai 7, but just to make this clear.) THAT IS NOT THEIR CALL, IT IS CN'S OR WHOEVER'S CALL That I learned at a panal at Animefest.

Sorry if it didn't make sense. I'll have to ask him again later, but this is basicly what he said.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
AND REMEMBER, IT IS NOT FUNI'S CALL WHEN SHOWS HAVE TO BE EDITED[/b] (I know this doesn' apply to Samurai 7, but just to make this clear.) THAT IS NOT THEIR CALL, IT IS CN'S OR WHOEVER'S CALL That I learned at a panal at Animefest.

Sorry if it didn't make sense. I'll have to ask him again later, but this is basicly what he said.

It's also the FCC's fault.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote
Darkener wrote:

on a side note... there isn't a chance FUN will put more then 3 episodes per disk?... I guess being more like Bandai or ADV is asking to much... Sad

Have you noticed that FUNi's 3-ep discs have a lower SRP than everyone else's 3-ep discs?
E_X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, there's a lot of mature people in here. FUNi is one of my favs right now (good prices, great subs) so I'm glad they were the ones who got it but I won't be a hypocrite saying I'm glad it's licensed `cause I'm not.

People, the fact that ALMOST EVERYTHING gets licensed nowadays is a good sign anime companies (or corporations by now) are doing very well, so I don't think fansubs are going to get them bankrupt, quite the contrary.

Samurai 7 is a must for DVD `cause of the beutiful animation that can't be fully apreciated on fansubs. Don't know if I'll buy though `cause I'm broke. Laughing
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:46 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
i IT IS NOT FUNI'S FAULT FOR THE # OF EPS PER DVD! I used to blame them too, until one day my friend told me, it isn't them who makes the desision, it is THE STORES WHO WANTS TO DISTRIBUTE THEM!!!

Ehh.. FUNi is the one who decides how many eps per disc to put out... the stores don't get to tell FUNi what to do. They decide how many eps per DVD will turn them a profit, and that's what they go with. Their stuff is normally 3 eps per disc, because their SRP is cheaper. If they would put 4 to 5 on a disc, then it would sell for around $20 at Best Buy, which is what ADVs stuff typically sells for.

And yes, I don't think anyone here believes FUNi has anything to do with CN edits, or Bandai for that matter....

E_X wrote:

is a good sign anime companies (or corporations by now) are doing very well, so I don't think fansubs are going to get them bankrupt, quite the contrary.

Nobody said they aren't making money.. but you must not understand how niche a market anime is. Licenses are not cheap, and if we want the industry to be able to continue expanding, it needs more paying viewers. I would venture to say that for every one person that uses fansubs as a preview for a series, and then goes and buys the DVDs, there are 3 or 4 people who only download fansubs, and may buy the occasional DVD.

The more people that buy anime, the cheaper it can be sold, that's as simple as it can get.
manuverse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
I have to admit FUNimation is getting a bit better. I was impressed with Galaxy Police and Kiddy Grade. However if they mess up Fullmetal Alchemist, Bakuretsu Tenshi and Samurai 7 i will be very, very mad.
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:54 am Reply with quote
Most of the Yu Yu Hakusho discs have 4 eps on them. It really depends on which anime as far as the ones that have 3 per disc.
UberTai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Darkener wrote:

Have you noticed that FUNi's 3-ep discs have a lower SRP than everyone else's 3-ep discs?

Yeah, $24.95. I'd rather pay the extra $5.04 to get one or maybe even two extras episodes similar to what other distrubutors hand out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
Whether or not we get 3 or 4 episodes per disc also depends on the cost of the license. If the license was large amount, they have to put less episodes per disc to make up for the difference. A good example is VIZ with Inuyasha, the license for it must have cost a lot because they are putting 3 episodes per disc for the entire series.

If a company is able to put more than 4 episodes per disc (such as on old series, or even something like Fruits Baskets that Funimation did 6 episodes per disc) the license was probably really cheap.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Darkener

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

I really don't care if it was half the price... I would perfer to pay more and save on dvd space... I'm running out of space again... Sad
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
FUNi has two ways of doing Anime.

1) the DBZ way
2) a decent manner with "ok" subs

thats it.. and you should never forget what they did to DBZ and thats not all 1997 sine GT is still being treated in the same way as all ways.
FUNi is not even a decent company for anime to be released threw in the states. I would have much rather seen Pioneer or ADV get the rights to the anime.

You shouldn't jump on the FUNi Bandwagon so blindly ..... chances are you'll end up falling off and breaking your neck.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
FUNi has two ways of doing Anime.

1) the DBZ way
2) a decent manner with "ok" subs .

The "DBZ" way has only been done to 2 series and one of them was DBZ

I dont really know about subs (since i like FUNis dubs) but from flicking the Japanese translation subtitles track they seem to be one of the few companies who bother to include honourisms.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any other funi dub where they did it the "DBZ" way. By the way, Funimation is redubbing the Saiyan and Freez saga. This time uncut.

I don't see why some people still bash funimation just because of one dub.
Goshin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
You shouldn't jump on the FUNi Bandwagon so blindly ..... chances are you'll end up falling off and breaking your neck.
Your ignorance amuses me.

FUNimation has made strides since their supposed DBZ debacle, and everyone seems to recognize that except you and a few other FUNimation cynics. It drives me nuts how some people can only remember their faults and not their accomplishments.

FUNimation will do a fine job with Samurai 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10