• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Con That Failed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shingen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
I Tried to read the whole thing, but I ended up laughing at the end. It's been such a long time that I've ever seen such professional people trying to prove someone wrong in full detail.

You call that professional? I'm the guy who wrote that, and I'm not professional...
SyncLok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
One correction to the article itself, the AX Masquerade meltdown happened in 1999 (specifically in the Anaheim Hilton), partially because they combined what had been 3 separate LP rooms into one massive one for the Masquerade. Tech hilarity ensued... :/

AX was held at the Disneyland Hotel in 2000, where the Masquerade started less than 5 minutes late. (Not that there weren't other interesting happenings during that year...)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't really think of any awful con experiences, other than badge registration/pickup mayhem, but I think that's a given considering how many people don't attempt to go on Day 0 to avoid wasting Day 1's time waiting in hot summer lines.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to many cons ( I've only been to local cons so I haven't ever got to go to any of the huge ones) and I have to say last years was pretty bad when it came to the venders room. It sucked, very little variety and very little to see. Mostly it was just candy ( and to much candy at that) and a bunch of key chains and buttons. If I were to have known the venders room was going to be that bad I would have spent more of my money when I went to New York City earlier that month. But other than that the convention has always been very good. They always have nice staff, a nice variety of video games,( which introduced me to my current favorite Super Smash Brawls) and it was good fun. Except the fact that every year I went I had to call my parents to pick me up something to eat since they didn't serve food there, but bottom line if your ever near Evansville Indiana I highly recommend E-ville con.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Also other story for AXxDisney not happening anymore? Try explaining to the families the tables of adult doujins that were inevitably on sale in the dealers room.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Would Hentai doujins even be sold at a Western con?

Like, translated ones from Japan or ones Western artists actually made themselves?
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
did anyone notice that chibi-con ended up posting a response to this article http://chibicon.ca/toole.txt

Of course they put it on their own website with a link that few people know about, and not out here in public on this forum (or even in private to a PM or e-mail to Mike).....
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Would Hentai doujins even be sold at a Western con?

Like, translated ones from Japan or ones Western artists actually made themselves?

There's always plenty of untranslated Japanese doujins, both hentai and otherwise, in the dealer's room at Anime Boston. I'd always assumed it was the same at other cons.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
I was actually thinking of A-kon 7 myself just now. Despite the lack of electricity, I remember at least one person had a tv running out of the back of a van in the parking lot with an impromptu anime showing.

I'm 95% certain that the anime in the back of the van was run by ADV itself. That A-Kon really was an awesome example of the ingenuity and community of anime fans back in the day tho. While I'm sure today's con would find something to do, I expect it'd be more of people playing "red-rover" or meme screaming, as opposed to things like the guy who was in Steve Bennett's cel-painting workshop that kept painting by laptop screen illumination. (the whole panel kept going despite the loss of power, lot of flashlights and other weird light sources in there)
Shingen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
did anyone notice that chibi-con ended up posting a response to this article http://chibicon.ca/toole.txt

Of course they put it on their own website with a link that few people know about, and not out here in public on this forum (or even in private to a PM or e-mail to Mike).....

That's because I was asked to put it up on the site, the guy in charge of the convention said he was going to e-mail Mike.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Shingen wrote:
Brakus wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

That's because I was asked to put it up on the site, the guy in charge of the convention said he was going to e-mail Mike.

lets not assume the worst of everyone.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Shingen wrote:
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
I Tried to read the whole thing, but I ended up laughing at the end. It's been such a long time that I've ever seen such professional people trying to prove someone wrong in full detail.

You call that professional? I'm the guy who wrote that, and I'm not professional...

I was messing around with you, that and I was half awake when I wrote that, so I probably haven't read it very clearly. Confused

Anyway I wish you best on future plans of the convention Very Happy
Shingen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
That's OK, I was half awake when I wrote the text file. :-p

And thanks. It was a big letdown for us to not be able to secure a proper venue last year - our first choice had a room booked right in the middle of the area we wanted, and then every other place we went to was either too expensive for what they were offering, or too small for us.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Shingen wrote:

Haven't gotten an email yet, but a couple of things:
1.) Sorry for pulling out the "jump to conclusions" mat on the your event's lifecycle. When you've got new dates, not only will I post a retraction, I'll plug the shit out of Chibicon in my column space.

2.) That said, I think my conclusion was fairly reasonable, since I was pointed to a website for a con that last occurred in 2010 in March of 2012, by a former senior staffer. Looking at the site, it still seems clear that Chibicon is moribund. If you want to spread the "still alive" meme, job 1 has got to be updating that site, and plaintext won't cut it!

3.) Other than my mistaken "the con has SLIPPED BENEATH THE WAVES LIKE DEAD CTHULHU" assertion, uh, that plaintext actually seems to corroborate everything Ms Ives told me about the con. Thanks for providing the description on the errant Jason cosplayer with the real live hatchet, though, as that makes the mental image all the funnier.

4.) okay, do I really have to make a joke about "we couldn't find a venue large enough for Chibi-con" :D

Thanks for all the feedback gang, and thanks for keeping it positive. My next con is Anime Boston in a few weeks, and I can't wait!

OH, and

Petrea Mitchell wrote:
(BTW, if no one else is going to mention it, I caught the Kipling reference in the column title...)

YYYYYYES i love my job :D And it's not just a Kipling reference, it's also a Metallica one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
And it's not just a Kipling reference, it's also a Metallica one!

Drat. I suck at mainstream pop culture yet again. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6