• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Oh! Edo Rocket Alternate-History Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...THIS is a surprise....It's not Gintama like I was (and still am) hoping for, but it's a step in the right direction, and an annoucnement that I'm actually excited about. You guys up at Funi are in the right time period now though, so lets make that leap from Rockets to space ships and samurai Smile

How can this be a surprise when we've all known it since those clues were added? If you didn't know about the clues, then okay, but it seems like most people just ignored them on purpose, like they weren't going to license what was painfully obvious.

And I think a problem with Gintama is that it's so long and doesn't really have the ability to be on TV like the other shounen series, it's just not cut out for it. It'd just be kinda risky without exposure, since convincing people to buy an endless amount of DVDs isn't convincing without having seen a good portion of it. Whereas Soul Eater, another shounen, is actually a great license since it has a finite amount of episodes, at least for this run, and it's well animated.

Not to mention that Bleach destroys Gintama, especially now...that's actually what's hurting Gintama's ratings in Japan. Gintama wants to be the comedy for Bleach, but it really isn't cutting it. Maybe back when Gintama first started and Bleach was doing the Bount arc, but definitely not now during Hueco Mundo.

Now regarding all these licenses, in my opinion, where is Funimation getting all this revenue to even PAY for these licenses now? Rescuing Geneon titles I can understand but new ones too in this terrible economy?
The majority of people don't even have money, let alone jobless. And it's not the US alone. Japan was the first country to go into a recession in the crisis. I can see why Japan wants to get these licenses out, but I can't see how Funimation is producing the money to pay. Rolling Eyes
My hunch is at one point, Funimation is going to collapse under all this weight they're piling on. They're taking a really risky move here.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I meant both. They'd have to do a number of edits to make it passable on TV, and that no one would probably want to air it anyway.

i've watched like 45 episodes so far, and have yet to see anything that couldn't be aired. hell one of the running gags is them trying keep the show clean, so they don't get pulled off the air.

I don't mean censorship edits, I mean edits to jokes, lines, etc. Whole meanings of things would be changed I imagine. I imagine a Lupin III or Shin-chan style of dub for Gintama for some reason.

you know this show is gonna get the Shin Chan treatment. it has to happen. personally i'm all for it,we've already seen that Japanese jokes aren't universal. look what happened when Adult Swim aired Super Milk Chan untouched.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I meant both. They'd have to do a number of edits to make it passable on TV, and that no one would probably want to air it anyway.

i've watched like 45 episodes so far, and have yet to see anything that couldn't be aired. hell one of the running gags is them trying keep the show clean, so they don't get pulled off the air.

I don't mean censorship edits, I mean edits to jokes, lines, etc. Whole meanings of things would be changed I imagine. I imagine a Lupin III or Shin-chan style of dub for Gintama for some reason.

Hmm, to be honest I don't think it would need to be taken THAT far. Sure there are several punchlines that only a Japanese person, or a person well versed in Japanese culture would get, but for the most part the humor in Gintama's pretty universal. They'd have to change some of the Japanese pop culture references, but even then they wouldn't be 'heavy' edits. And even if it were to be done Shin-chan or Lupin style, since Gintama's not too anchored to plot, as long as the sarcastic and cynical spirit is preserved it would still be a successful dub.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

you know this show is gonna get the Shin Chan treatment. it has to happen. personally i'm all for it,we've already seen that Japanese jokes don't work here. look what happened when Adult Swim aired Super Milk Chan untouched.

So long as the Japanese language track IS ACTUALLY ON THE FREAKING DVD and the subs are accurate with notes. I liked the Shin-chan dub, it's funny, but I refuse to buy the DVDs because they don't have the Japanese track. Yeah, I know, it's not at all like the dub, I get it, but maybe I wanted to experience the Japanese version too. If they did that to Gintama, it'd annoy an endless amount of people. And Super Milk-chan was an awful show to begin with.
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...THIS is a surprise....It's not Gintama like I was (and still am) hoping for, but it's a step in the right direction, and an annoucnement that I'm actually excited about. You guys up at Funi are in the right time period now though, so lets make that leap from Rockets to space ships and samurai Smile

How can this be a surprise when we've all known it since those clues were added? If you didn't know about the clues, then okay, but it seems like most people just ignored them on purpose, like they weren't going to license what was painfully obvious.

And I think a problem with Gintama is that it's so long and doesn't really have the ability to be on TV like the other shounen series, it's just not cut out for it. It'd just be kinda risky without exposure, since convincing people to buy an endless amount of DVDs isn't convincing without having seen a good portion of it. Whereas Soul Eater, another shounen, is actually a great license since it has a finite amount of episodes, at least for this run, and it's well animated.

Not to mention that Bleach destroys Gintama, especially now...that's actually what's hurting Gintama's ratings in Japan. Gintama wants to be the comedy for Bleach, but it really isn't cutting it. Maybe back when Gintama first started and Bleach was doing the Bount arc, but definitely not now during Hueco Mundo.

Now regarding all these licenses, in my opinion, where is Funimation getting all this revenue to even PAY for these licenses now? Rescuing Geneon titles I can understand but new ones too in this terrible economy?
The majority of people don't even have money, let alone jobless. And it's not the US alone. Japan was the first country to go into a recession in the crisis. I can see why Japan wants to get these licenses out, but I can't see how Funimation is producing the money to pay. Rolling Eyes
My hunch is at one point, Funimation is going to collapse under all this weight they're piling on. They're taking a really risky move here.

'Destroys' Gintama? Have you seen Gintama's DVD sales in Japan? They're on ANN pretty frequently...and I've rarely seen Bleach overtake Gintama in units sold. Sure Bleach may destroy it in ratings, but DVD sales are the golden rule...and in that department Gintama slays Bleach.

Though your second point is valid. How IS Funi getting this money? And are they going to be okay taking on so much at once? It would suck to see their ventures come back and bite them in the rear.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
But...but...it's not even the 27th!! o__O Are they EST or PST? And when do they annouce it because it has been varied so far
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So long as the Japanese language track IS ACTUALLY ON THE FREAKING DVD and the subs are accurate with notes. I liked the Shin-chan dub, it's funny, but I refuse to buy the DVDs because they don't have the Japanese track. Yeah, I know, it's not at all like the dub, I get it, but maybe I wanted to experience the Japanese version too. If they did that to Gintama, it'd annoy an endless amount of people. And Super Milk-chan was an awful show to begin with.

If you lose the Kugimiya Syndrome, it's all over. The world ends right there and Gintama becomes shit outside of Japan...or at least in the US.

Quote:
'Destroys' Gintama? Have you seen Gintama's DVD sales in Japan? They're on ANN pretty frequently...and I've rarely seen Bleach overtake Gintama in units sold. Sure Bleach may destroy it in ratings, but DVD sales are the golden rule...and in that department Gintama slays Bleach.

Though your second point is valid. How IS Funi getting this money? And are they going to be okay taking on so much at once? It would suck to see their ventures come back and bite them in the rear.

I was talking about TV rating since everyone here is talking about it airing on TV. Anyways, TV ratings, yes Bleach makes Gintama look like crap despite all the filler arcs. DVD ratings I don't know... but I'll guess simply because Bleach is now 200 episodes and has no end considering how the manga just took the turn to extend the story even further (which isn't necessarily a bad thing yet)...this is also why you don't see Naruto rank in Japan's DVDs here either since it's 10 times worse than Bleach. You'll be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars by the time the series is over....it's better spending that money on stuff that are short or you know will end and worth archiving...for this season, the underrated Ga-Rei -Zero- absolutely epic. Not to mention that the older the DVDs are, the further the price will fall. That's how you win out on longer series and pay less for them.

I know I said the above despite knowing that Gintama is nearing 150 episodes, but considering how many filler arcs Bleach has had, I would not be surprised Gintama succeeds over Bleach in DVDs...not worth archiving useless fillers.

On another note, I never took note of the DVD ratings between the two for a few reasons. The first is Bleach is licensed here, why do I care anymore about how it's doing in Japan in DVD? The second is I would never think Gintama would be licensed simply because it would fail hard here due to half of the comedy scenes literally lost in the dub....and there will be people who think Gintama is a Bleach rip off just by judging the cover.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this leaves Eva Rebuild 1.0, Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, and something else. I heard Wakamoto was in this, might be worth checking out for that alone.
Its gona be probably Bamboo Blade or Allison and Lillia. Most likely Bamboo Blade.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
Heh, are alternate history animes EVER logical? Steam-powered mechs in the roaring '20s, anyone?
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you lose the Kugimiya Syndrome, it's all over. The world ends right there and Gintama becomes shit outside of Japan...or at least in the US.

Quote:

I was talking about TV rating since everyone here is talking about it airing on TV. Anyways, TV ratings, yes Bleach makes Gintama look like crap despite all the filler arcs. DVD ratings I don't know... but I'll guess simply because Bleach is now 200 episodes and has no end considering how the manga just took the turn to extend the story even further (which isn't necessarily a bad thing yet)...this is also why you don't see Naruto rank in Japan's DVDs here either since it's 10 times worse than Bleach. You'll be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars by the time the series is over....it's better spending that money on stuff that are short or you know will end and worth archiving...for this season, the underrated Ga-Rei -Zero- absolutely epic. Not to mention that the older the DVDs are, the further the price will fall. That's how you win out on longer series and pay less for them.

I know I said the above despite knowing that Gintama is nearing 150 episodes, but considering how many filler arcs Bleach has had, I would not be surprised Gintama succeeds over Bleach in DVDs...not worth archiving useless fillers.

On another note, I never took note of the DVD ratings between the two for a few reasons. The first is Bleach is licensed here, why do I care anymore about how it's doing in Japan in DVD? The second is I would never think Gintama would be licensed simply because it would fail hard here due to half of the comedy scenes literally lost in the dub....and there will be people who think Gintama is a Bleach rip off just by judging the cover.

I really don't see how anyone would think Gintama was a rip off of anything just by looking at the cover of it....I mean If one were to put a Bleach and Gintama cover together would they really look that similar? More like, Bleach looks like a rip off of several things....Spiky haired kid with sword? And it's doing just fine, Not to mention Shin-chan and Bobobo got licensed and they're more of a adaptation nightmare than Gintama would ever be. Heck Oh! Edo Rocket is probably going to be a tougher sell than Gintama, and here we are.

Shin-chan's doing well on AS with a whole new dub. Gintama really doesn't even need that much. They would have to change around some of the references, but not to a point where they're 'lost.'

Lastly how do we compare how Bleach is doing to a series that isn't out here on DVD yet? That's why I brought up DVDs. You can't compare AS's Bleach ratings to Gintama's since well...Gintama isn't on AS right? So how else were we to compare the two of them? You brought up that Bleach is doing better in Japan, and I simply pointed out that ratings aren't the only thing. Not to mention, by your logic, that would mean that Bleach's ratings destroying Gintama overseas doesn't mean anything either.

All in all, I wouldn't say 'Gintama will fail' because the comedy will be lost in translation. You DO realize that it's lost in translation even with subbing, which is why there are liner notes. I still maintain that Gintama will do fine out here if the dub is done with care, and the subs are accurate.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this leaves Eva Rebuild 1.0, Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, and something else. I heard Wakamoto was in this, might be worth checking out for that alone.
Its gona be probably Bamboo Blade or Allison and Lillia. Most likely Bamboo Blade.

Did they ever send C&D's for Alliso & Lillia?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Jeez, it's like they want to become Geneon 2.0. Rolling Eyes

And this is a bad thing...? Laughing
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
GeneralArrow wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Did they ever send C&D's for Alliso & Lillia?

no

Quote:
And this is a bad thing...?

Geneon fell apart remember? License too much and not able to release them soon enough...and Japan's Geneon is ready to fall any minute (or has it fallen I don't remember) Even if they do release it...if it's just a rushed piece of work like what ADV has been doing recently...it's not going to sell properly, even more so in this economy. This is why I think Funimation is taking a huge gamble here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
I'm sure that FUNi is perfectly aware of the current global economic situation as they purchase these licenses. Assuming that they're taking some sort of "huge risk" here would imply that they're utterly clueless about how to run a business...and the fact that they've been the most profitable division of Navarre for some time now shoots that theory down. They obviously feel secure enough in their financial position to be able to acquire these licenses (and seeing how several of them are former Geneon titles, I'm guessing that FUNi was able to pick them up on the cheap). Economic downturns don't affect every company equally; it could be that FUNi's still seeing strong sales on their most popular titles.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

you know this show is gonna get the Shin Chan treatment. it has to happen. personally i'm all for it,we've already seen that Japanese jokes aren't universal. look what happened when Adult Swim aired Super Milk Chan untouched.

Makes me wonder: WHAT THE HELL WAS ADULT SWIM THINKING AIRING THE STRAIGHT DUB OF MILK-CHAN IN THE FIRST PLACE? Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!

Quote:
And I think a problem with Gintama is that it's so long and doesn't really have the ability to be on TV like the other shounen series, it's just not cut out for it. It'd just be kinda risky without exposure, since convincing people to buy an endless amount of DVDs isn't convincing without having seen a good portion of it.

That's why you release it in season box sets, like how FUNi's doing with a lot of their shows lately. Not only do you get more DVDs for the Dead Presidents, you also save shelf space.

Quote:
Geneon fell apart remember? License too much and not able to release them soon enough...and Japan's Geneon is ready to fall any minute (or has it fallen I don't remember) Even if they do release it...if it's just a rushed piece of work like what ADV has been doing recently...it's not going to sell properly, even more so in this economy. This is why I think Funimation is taking a huge gamble here.

There's another thing that hurt Geneon: Charging an arm and a leg for their box sets. Who the hell in their right mind would pay up to $150 for a whole 26-episode series? What the hell were they thinking to charge that much? Did Geneon WANT people to bleed?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5