• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven Game Gets Remake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Nintendo Direct was full of RPGs.

I like it. Surprised
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested in giving this a try, much more than the other new one that just launched. It's such weird timing, if SaGa 2 had been announced prior to Emerald Beyond.... Emerald already seems DoA, so much of the exploration elements are looking like they're lacking and half-baked, and then suddenly SaGa 2 shows up, is already an established game, and has traversable 3D environs.

I hope this remake does well and sends the message to SE that we want more SaGa, but we want it to look like this and not Emerald Beyond.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'm very interested in giving this a try, much more than the other new one that just launched. It's such weird timing, if SaGa 2 had been announced prior to Emerald Beyond.... Emerald already seems DoA, so much of the exploration elements are looking like they're lacking and half-baked, and then suddenly SaGa 2 shows up, is already an established game, and has traversable 3D environs.

I hope this remake does well and sends the message to SE that we want more SaGa, but we want it to look like this and not Emerald Beyond.

So what you will but Emerald (& Scarlet Grace) still looked better than the remasters of RS2 & 3.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I have a saga game or two in my backlog, but this one looked really interesting with the kingdom building aspect.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The saga games are definitely in my backlog to try, and this one looks good enough to jumpstart me.
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:18 pm Reply with quote
When they talked about generations I thought it was going to be a SaGa Frontier 2 remaster announcement since that was the last one left without one.. This was a complete surprise for me. I also bemoaned how Emerald Beyond looked very low-budget and cheap and then seeing this makes me wonder if this is where all the focus was going. A remake of 2 sounds very interesting with all the systems in play and I hope they do it justice. I'm a little surprised they didn't pick 3 as I always thought that one was the most popular. Either way, I'm happy with the news.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be a great remake! And is that Aleks Le?
Riku157

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:10 am Reply with quote
I just want Saga Frontier 2 to get something finally. I might get this eventually, but at this point I only really care about Frontier 2. Lol
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:32 am Reply with quote
SaGa Frontier 2 still holds up and definitely needs a port, with maybe a bit of HD to smooth out potential crustiness on newer screens. I wouldn't want them to try and redo anything in regard to the hand-painted watercolor sprites and backgrounds.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

I'm still confused by this, btw. I was at the front of the line saying that Emerald looked bad, like bargain bin budget-tier, and to have that be the new mainline entry, and to follow it up by an actually good-looking remake within the same year? What is even going on?

Gem-Bug wrote:
SaGa Frontier 2 still holds up and definitely needs a port, with maybe a bit of HD to smooth out potential crustiness on newer screens. I wouldn't want them to try and redo anything in regard to the hand-painted watercolor sprites and backgrounds.

I think what most people want is a Remastered edition, similar to what SaGa Frontier got. Just make it look better for 1080p+ resolutions, and possibly finish up some of the things that were left unfinished in the original, like SaGa Frontier did for Fuse's quest. Off the top of my head, one of the things that really should fix is the Gustave story's final battle, since very few strategies were actually viable, and they relied on the CPU choosing to go in exactly the right spot, the RNG to hit the right number of enemies, etc.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:45 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:

Gem-Bug wrote:

I think what most people want is a Remastered edition, similar to what SaGa Frontier got. Just make it look better for 1080p+ resolutions, and possibly finish up some of the things that were left unfinished in the original, like SaGa Frontier did for Fuse's quest. Off the top of my head, one of the things that really should fix is the Gustave story's final battle, since very few strategies were actually viable, and they relied on the CPU choosing to go in exactly the right spot, the RNG to hit the right number of enemies, etc.

Oh yeah, I'd agree to that 100%. Gamefaqs still has a separate guide to the Battle of South Moundtop. I remember back in the day, printing off a copy of that exact guide, with it's turn by turn exact instructions that still end up relying on the CPU making a wrong move at a specific time. Wild and terrible RNG at the end of Gustave's scenario , which is pretty much a story-driven breeze up to that point.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gem-Bug"]
flamemasterelan wrote:
Oh yeah, I'd agree to that 100%. Gamefaqs still has a separate guide to the Battle of South Moundtop. I remember back in the day, printing off a copy of that exact guide, with it's turn by turn exact instructions that still end up relying on the CPU making a wrong move at a specific time. Wild and terrible RNG at the end of Gustave's scenario , which is pretty much a story-driven breeze up to that point.

I did the same. Printed the guide, too, even!
And it's a shame, because I liked the war game in SaGa Frontier 2, and I get what they were going for as a concept. Like, every other fight had the Steel Soldiers as your units, and they were definitely the strongest on the field, so having them as your enemies was a great idea...in theory. It could've even worked if they hadn't committed 100% to Gustave's side being cutscenes by that point and not having any unique units anymore. Especially if they let you use Gustaf!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1