• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people hate Dubs so much?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess all things aside from my previous post in this topic....without an anime content being altered, or the lip-syncing being off. I would have to say that given the choice...between a beautifully translated dubbed series, or a beautifully translated subbed series, I would watch the subbed, simply because the Japanese language greatly appeals to me.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Do those of you who perfer dubs because you perfer the English language? Or are there other reasons?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
Good question, and for me I would say yes, I choose dubs because the english language simply appeals to me more. I understand it, from the words to the context and depth and feel of the language. It just feels more natural to me. That said though I haven't purchased or rented a single title that I didn't watch the sub and the dub for. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying both versions, I simply enjoy the version in my native language more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
I go both ways on subs and dubs. I enjoy some dubs, but when they're poorly done I have no problem switching to subs. I think part of the reason some dubs are poor quality is because they're done with outside talent that's not part of the usual voice actor pool.

CyberViper wrote:
I perfer fansubs over dubs for a few different reasons. First, it's easier to obtain fansubs. They are subbed by fans, for fans. I like to acknowledge the hard work of the groups who made the subs.

The amount of work a fansub team goes through may seem like a lot, but it's a small fraction of what the original development team went through. It's also less than the official importers usually go through. It's true that fansubbers don't get paid for their work, but they also get content they want for free as part of their process.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that hardly makes for an interesting discussion, 2real.

Keonyn: wah, missed that bit, sorry.

CyberViper: I'd take the English language one, but it would really have to depend on the content and feel of the series. Of course though, understanding it is half the battle.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
The amount of work a fansub team goes through may seem like a lot, but it's a small fraction of what the original development team went through. It's also less than the official importers usually go through. It's true that fansubbers don't get paid for their work, but they also get content they want for free as part of their process.

Hmmm...I never thought of that. Anime hyper Well...I guess that reasoning is out the window then too as well...

Eh, oh well. I still have a strong admiration for fansubbers Very Happy
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
yea i kno but its the only time i have realy just blantinly stated my ideas with no room for disscusion (now back to watching FMA)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
Well that's almost the best way to think about it, but there are at times where the Anime has characters being portrayed or presented differently, so it's not always entirely appropriate. It depends most on what just works for the character, plain and simple.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
I am a dubbie, but I am not some random n00b that all I know is dubs, I read alot of Manga aswell.

May we take a look at what have you read? You haven't made your "My Manga" publicly viewable.

Also, please stop using green text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
I have no issue with dubs unless the acting is bad enough where it takes me out of the story, which is very rare. That's usually older dubs too. Anything from the past five or six years is a vast improvement from what it used to be. Dubbing studios have really gotten the hang of it I think especially Funimation and Bang Zoom which are some the best I've heard lately, in my opinion. Dubs provide a better experience when one does not have to split his attention between the words and the action. It is also easier when your vision isn't the best in the world. I watch my anime anyway I can get it, though I have trouble following along with long-winded series like Twelve Kingdoms.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to try to decide "which is better?", but I think that one main reasons is that some fans want to sound more elite and hardcore, so they say, "The Japanese version is the only good version because it's original and we worship everything that comes out of Japan." I find it hard to take them seriously because most of them don't even watch dubs--it's either fansubs only or "Yeah, I buy some DVDs but I never turn on the English track because its TEH EVAL." I like some dubs. I dislike others. I'm willing to give most a chance for a few episodes. Also, it's not fair to present dubs that are either incomplete or infamously butchered as evidence for all dubs being bad. We're all well aware that Saint Seiya isn't finished, and about all the stuff that went on with CardCaptors, Sailor Moon (DiC dub) and One Piece. Most do try to imitate the original performance, and the scripts are generally on the mark--there will always be some editing for mouth flaps, better English phrasing, and instances of cultural references/language puns that simply wouldn't make sense to the average FanBoyJapanese-speaking anime fan. Besides, Ghost Stories does a lot to redeem all dubs, everywhere, including ones that haven't been made yet Smile
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Besides, Ghost Stories does a lot to redeem all dubs, everywhere, including ones that haven't been made yet Smile

I think Ghost Stories is a big step backwards for dubs. I don't mind dubs as long as they keep to the original story. ADV did a bunch of stupid jokes in it which weren't even funny.
Fui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:29 am Reply with quote
Dubs usually suck IMO. They just lack the emotion and sound corny a lot of the time. Like the girls when they're dubbed just don't sound right (not emotional or have an odd voice) and the guys don't sound evil or noble (Mugen sounds like a nerd dubbed...not badass at all...and no I didn't like Spike either). There are some exceptions in my opinion...I thought Inuyasha was watchable dubbed, but then again I never heard the Japanese version. Also, I thought FMA was decent but I hadn't heard the JP version, and my friends say FMA sounds better in JP. Oh but I dislike pretty much all the JP FLCL voice actors. Maybe because I'm Japanese and after hearing it in Japanese the English just sounds awkward and doesn't fit the character's personality. Japanese anime was made with the Japanese language in mind, after all, and conversation/voice plays a huge role in everything.

This is true the other way around, too. Japanese voices sound awkward in American media (and "engrish" sounds terrible in J-pop and anime, my god it's hideous). But have you heard Naruto dubbed? Does that not make you wince and cry for mercy? The JP Naruto can get annoying but the dubbed one is ridiculous. Anyway, it's preference but I know what both languages should sound like in the proper contexts and I'd have to go w/ subs in anime (just some more practice until I can watch it RAW...about 4/5 there Confused).
QwazilQwazil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote
well the place i download my anime from says they like to respect the original japanese voices for an unknown reason!
i think maybe when you watch a sub episode first and then later when you watch the dub episode some thing seems wrong you no what i mean?
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote
Issues of sound:

English is a mostly Germanic language with some Latin and Greek thrown in. Because of its diversity and because of its relatively high consonant percentage, English sounds more discordant to me than French or Spanish or Japanese. Japanese has only one stand-alone consonant, and so many more of the sounds come from the throat instead of the teeth and tongue. (Try saying "sushi" in a Japanese accent, then try saying "soo-shee" and you'll see what I mean).

There seems to be a fair supply of high-voiced females, or deep-voiced males, or vice versa, enough to give diversity to the voices. And some of these people actually have acting range. I was a little shocked to read that cynical and harried Koyomi from Azumanga Daioh was also shy and confused Chii from Chobits, or that 100-words-a-minute Excel was also the tough lesbian Juri from SK Utena. Too many American and Canadian voice performers are poorly trained or simply bereft of talent.

Issues of translation:

It's just too easy to change things when dubbing them. Have you ever seen a subtitled anime that tried to pretend it wasn't set in Japan? I've seen dubs that have. Also name changes--you *could* change names in subtitles, but why would you? (unless you need to keep consistency with a previously run dub)

ADR. You have to build your sentence structure around getting the words to fit the animated characters' mouth movements instead of what would be the best translation. Plus you can cheat. If a character is keeping his mouth closed and doing a voice-over, you can cut out his line if you want. Or, if it's a walking shot or the characters' backs are turned, you can add dialogue you feel needs to be there.

Even if you are translating in complete good faith, there are some concepts that don't translate. Example: you have a character who is fluent in English. Maybe it's a teacher or someone who has been to the US or the UK. And they have occasion to speak to a foreigner in English and impress their friends, who can only speak in broken English. How do you translate that concept when, for native English speakers, there's no single foreign language they're expected to know? Often they make the foreigner Spanish or French, and these come out OK, but not great. I'm still waiting to see one where they use Japanese as the language spoken.

Issues of release:

Dubbing takes time and money. You have to translate, ADR, cast, direct, hire a studio and microphones, maybe musicians or additional animators or CG people, and then produce the thing. Meanwhile the fans sit and wait. Subtitling can be done one episode a day, with five people or fewer, and that's if you're going for the full-on professional job. You could have a show aired in Japan on the 1st of the month on the DVD shelves of Anglophonic countries by the 28th if you weren't dubbing.

Dubbing is often a precursor to putting the show on television. Television means censorship and changes to please the sponsors and the government. It means bringing in fans who have no business being fans, dilettantes who have neither the mental ability nor the intention to learn and become deeper fans. It brings those people into the sphere of those who are deep and who do care, and it creates prejudices and strife.

Owing to the additional cost mentioned above, as well as the perceived (but not always real) added value, anime costs increase.

However, all that being said, I do not hate dubs, I dislike dubbing of anime as it is currently done. Done as a later-day supplement to releasing the subtitled show as quickly as possible, and done with the sole intention of evoking the quality of the show in another language (and not satisfying the FCC or the kiddies or their parents!), I would be indifferent at worst, and I might actually like some.
pingo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
OK, first let me start off with this....I am a dubbie, but I am not some random n00b that all I know is dubs, I read alot of Manga aswell.

Now.....Why do people hate Dubs & people who like dubs so much? They act like their opinions on which cast of VA's are better or which music is better are factual things. I'll admit there are/were some bad dubs, such as Card Captors & One Piece (though I do watch One Piece Dub). Fact is, just because a certain VA came first doesn't mean his voice is more suiting of a character. Or just because certain Music came first doesn't mean it's a better fit in the scene. Why should I have to illegally download Subs or spend alot of cash on subs just to be accepted in the minds of others when I could spend money on dubs which I (& many others) enjoy more.

Thoguths? (Please don't bash)

bad voice acting in anime or video games can ruin it totally.

the creators always pick their voice talent with much caution. in US they just gotta take what they can have.

If an anime makes a good enouge effort, it can be a good experience with dub. but mostly its cheesy dialouge and voices that dont fit the characters aswell.

examples of good dubs: mononoke-hime and cowboy bebop.

Take something like Naruto. It's absolutely HORRIBLE dubbed. I have never seen anything as stupid as that. But the japanese version is just so much better. it was intended to be those and so it works perfectly well when combined.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11