• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do the Japanese appreciate Western animation?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifrit089

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Does anybody here have an idea of how well-known our animation is in Japan? I think it goes without saying that their animation has an impact in the West, but I was wondering if the reverse is currently true?

The only non-japanese show I am certain they like is Tom and Jerry, which was mentioned in this old ANN article:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-09-23/tv-asahi-top-100-anime

It was ranked #58, which makes me wonder why that is, especially for a slapstick show like that?
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
If Panty and Stocking being out is any indication, the Japanese are fans of western animation. As an actual example though, the Powerpuff Girls was HUGE in Japan. So popular in fact that the Japanese made their own version of it called Powerpuff Girls Z(personally i think it's terrible). So yeah, Japan likes our stuff.
smilydude13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's probably because Tom & Jerry is freaking incredible.
ifrit089

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
If Panty and Stocking being out is any indication, the Japanese are fans of western animation. As an actual example though, the Powerpuff Girls was HUGE in Japan. So popular in fact that the Japanese made their own version of it called Powerpuff Girls Z(personally i think it's terrible). So yeah, Japan likes our stuff.

Yeah, the character designs for Panty and Stocking seem to be the closest "match" to the ones seen in western animation. Definitely a nice tribute - it makes me want to watch it!

But I wonder if TV shows like the Simpsons have cultural appeal among the Japanese.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Take a look at the weekly animation DVD/BR sales articles on this very site. Western animation flicks are on the charts all the time.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
I could spend all day speculating as for the reasons, but whatever they are, Don Bluth films are outrageously popular in Japan. My daughters were able to see The Secret of NIMH, for the first time, in an imax theatre because of this. It was awesome.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
If Panty and Stocking being out is any indication, the Japanese are fans of western animation. .

Similarly, if The Matrix and Avatar the Last Airbender is any indication, the Americans are fans of anime.

Oh, wait...Shocked

Confused
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
teen titans
sponge bob ( not kidding look it up)
Rugrats
Nicktoons pretty much
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
ifrit089 wrote:
I think it goes without saying that their animation has an impact in the West...

I'm going to have to disagree with this, because a demographic of horny teenage boys and grown men loving their anime isn't what I'd call "having an impact" by any stretch of the imagination.

I can agree both sides of the ocean do influence each other, but neither has a significant impact. Like many who work in the "art" world, being original is very important and no one who creates stuff likes to hear "Oh, that's just Godzilla with a woman actor in the rubber suit. Huh? Well, the CGI sucks then."

There's so much more to animation than drawing and putting the frames together. Every series has a story, art boards, art direction, and scripts. These are just a few of the things it takes to make an animation worthy of a potential influence globally.

As for the question, I honestly can't answer what the Japanese enjoy from animation of other countries. I don't live there.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Pixar has a lot of fans over there, and a number of classic Disney movies do as well(just look at the sales for the special edition of the Beauty and the Beast re-relase just a few weeks ago).
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Pixar has a lot of fans over there, and a number of classic Disney movies do as well(just look at the sales for the special edition of the Beauty and the Beast re-relase just a few weeks ago).

I'm not surprised that Pixar films are popular in Japan, especially considering that each Pixar film works with a production budget that no Japanese animation studio could even dream of having.

Interestingly, I asked my brother after he visited the video stores at Akihabara in Tokyo and Nipponbashi in Osaka in recent years and he told me Disney has HUGE store displays at these stores--that's how strong the influence of Disney still is in Japan even now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say just look at Kingdom Hearts, there must be popularity with Disney animation for Square Enix to create the cross over series.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Disney is definately popular there. I think everytime I walk into a Japanese store, I see ALOT of Disney Princess and sometimes Winne the Pooh. Oh, and Tokyo Japan has an entire Monsters Inc ride. Pixar is popular in every country, I think. Universal apparal.

Also, they love to cosplay in Tokyo Disneyland (something which people in the American ones seem to be suspecious of... I've seen stories of people dressing up as Sore and Riku and getting getting out, or when someone had mascots pose with a plastic keyblade... Not everyone is a suspicious character or terrorist! What a way to ruin the fun...)
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
I could spend all day speculating as for the reasons, but whatever they are, Don Bluth films are outrageously popular in Japan. My daughters were able to see The Secret of NIMH, for the first time, in an imax theatre because of this. It was awesome.

holy smack! i'm so jealous ... that's been a favorite of mine for decades ... i'd love to see it in a theater ...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Japan has a very long history of enjoying western animation, to the point that it influenced Japanese animation. Just look at the god of manga himself Osamu Tezuka who wells well known for being a big Disney fan. And by many accounts is what lead to him drawing his distinctive style.

There's also many accounts of western cartoons being translated and aired in Japan as well as major animation films being extremely successful in Japanese theaters (Toy Story 3 in recent months).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2