• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YuruYuri (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:
Past wrote:
So I was watching the first episode and I was like, where is the yuri again? Which girl or girls are actual lesbians? With a show that it's implied there is yuri that ends up only showing run of the mill yuri-esque antics like oppai grabbing, dog-eyed admiration and glomping, that is not going to pass for me. Yeah of course the characters are preteens, but I think that still leaves room for portrayal of mature relationships. I'm fine with the probable awkward love triangle, but to see a slice-of-life show with a committed pair or a budding relationship would be a refreshing twist. My expectations of this for a title like yuruyuri are already set high, so I hope it doesn't disappoint with simple shoujo-ai pandering.

Ouch. From the first episode it looks like it's going to be faithful adaption of the manga, so yeah you're going to be disappointed hard. Here's my kinda review of the manga here.

Also, it's kinda rare for yuri to have actual lesbians. I know that sounds strange but it's true mainly because it either never gets actually confirmed or the character is like "If it's you I'm absolutely cool with it." So yeah, yuri rarely equals lesbians. And here's a post on this topic if your curious.
Ok well I'll probably still watch it as a cute, moe, slice of life comedy. It's just the reviews that I read on it, here at ANN mind you, made it sound like the lesbian content was more overt. My initial expectations of it were probably closer to what is intended, but the reviews gave me an exaggerated depiction and I reacted with the notion it might be one of those rare instances. Excited I was, but its not entirely a downer if it's just a cutesy moe show. And no I'm not one of those that seek out anime with lesbians in it because I identify as one myself, heck I'm not even female Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

And here comes the Yuri. Twisted Evil

Breast dribbles are the best kind of dribbles.

That cold scene reminded me of a certain scene (NSFW) from Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo. I wonder if they were going for a parody or it just happened to fall like that. Either way, it made that scene much funnier to me.

The first episode had ups and downs, but this one felt much more level. There weren't as many highs, but there weren't as many lows either. It's definitely a cute show, and I don't normally go on cute alone, but this one is charming. I think it's because I love perverted girls. No, it's definitely because I love perverted girls. The show is definitely much better than I originally wrote it off as, and I'm glad I gave it a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Agreed. You can't go wrong with a "cute girls doing cute (vaguely lesbianic) things" formula. Still dying to see Pervo Sister, though.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That cold scene reminded me of a certain scene (NSFW) from Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo. I wonder if they were going for a parody or it just happened to fall like that. Either way, it made that scene much funnier to me.
Hey I played the visual novel this anime is based off of. You should really play it too if you like perverted girls. Yeah it's not entirely true that lesbians are rare in anime. When it comes to adult stuff and quite a few ecchi series, it's out there.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Agreed. You can't go wrong with a "cute girls doing cute (vaguely lesbianic) things" formula. Still dying to see Pervo Sister, though.

Thankfully, a character design for the sister does exist:

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/1310590676396.jpg/

This appeared on Petit Yuri Hime S which contains extra side stories from other YHS titles which supposedly comes with the magazine. I don't know if the anime will incorporate her though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/1310590676396.jpg

Yipe. That's a big sister. Somehow I thought we were talking about a little sister here. That makes the fixation a bit more serious.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Bad News: It's an older sister. Not only that, it's a much older sister, like 18-20. That's creepy (unless they play it PERFECTLY).

Good News: She's apparently not a supporting character, so she'll probably only get mentioned a few times with no appearances.

I still wish it was a little 8 year old sister, though.

Past wrote:
Hey I played the visual novel this anime is based off of. You should really play it too if you like perverted girls. Yeah it's not entirely true that lesbians are rare in anime. When it comes to adult stuff and quite a few ecchi series, it's out there.

Eh. Visual novels don't seem like my thing. Click, click, observe sexy lesbian sex scene, click, click, etc... I'd probably read a one shot or low volume manga, though, because it's not trashy and is kind of cute, but it doesn't seem like it could carry itself a long ways.

And darkchibi07, how did you not start this thread? You don't post a lot, but it's pretty clear from your other posts that this is totally your kind of thing, so I was surprised you hadn't made a thread yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/1310590676396.jpg/

This appeared on Petit Yuri Hime S which contains extra side stories from other YHS titles which supposedly comes with the magazine. I don't know if the anime will incorporate her though.

Much obliged! I'm not quite sure what to make of TKoH's disappointment that creepy stalker sister isn't an 8-year-old girl, but to each their own, I guess.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense that she's older. They probably just wanted to make her as taboo as possible, since she's older that makes her gay, incestuous AND a pedophile.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Much obliged! I'm not quite sure what to make of TKoH's disappointment that creepy stalker sister isn't an 8-year-old girl, but to each their own, I guess.

I know, I know! Trust me, Blood, it's all in the name of comedy. I just find the "obsessed with my Onii-san" type much funnier than the "drooling over my imouto" type. Little sisters are capable of pulling it off more seamlessly (and funnier) since to the oblivious, they just seem like they really wuv dere big sista. Even though we know that little sister is crazy, the ones in the dark are so easily fooled by it, and I find both that and the contrast amusing.

Most big sister with siscons are played as goofy pedophile types that shower their younger siblings with a lot affection, and it's usually unwanted, forced affection, so that makes it creepier and, quite honestly, stale because it's so overdone in unimaginative ways. In my perfect little world, big sisters would be played like MiyaMiya from Bamboo Blade where they are black and white. So the big sister would be completely obsessed with the little sister, but they'd never show in an over bearing manner while still doing things that are creepy because we, the viewer, would know she's a pedo. So a simple act of offering to wash her little sisters back while bathing would be made much more awkward because there are some real ulterior motives there, but the little sister doesn't know this. The only people who would know are us who are, theoretically, getting a kick out of the "seemingly harmless, but actually creepy" contrast going on, and Kyouko, who would be acting like a spas, which would also be amusing.

Again, it's the contrast and Kyouko's reactions that I would find amusing, not necessarily the pedo-ness of it. Unfortunately, big sisters (and older characters in general) with siscons are rarely played like that. Like I said, if they played it perfectly (black and white) I'd have absolutely no problem, but anime rarely does that and would rather go with outwardly obsessive types. Although, for some reason, siscon little sisters don't ever seem to get old to me, and that's why I was hoping for an imouto.

I knows muh comedy archetypes, Blood!
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm in love with the gray-haired fantasy girl (I think her name is Chitose or something). I can't say I remember ever seeing a show where a girl fantasizes about 2 other girls.
lelliel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I can't say I remember ever seeing a show where a girl fantasizes about 2 other girls.

Well the only girl I can think of Kanako from Maria Holic, but I wouldn't recommend it since:
1) Kanako's backstory and characterization make it painfully obvious she's a walking stereotype of what straight people think lesbians are - which is women who have had bad experiences with men. She's a lesbian who has hives when she gets touch by men due to traumatic childhood experience related to boys. Totally not stereotype related at all.
2) She's annoying mainly because she's whimpy, and whiney.
3) She's the only lesbian on the show, and from the few episodes I've seen she gets berated quite often. Depending on how sensitive you are, it can induce cringing.

-----
Anyway to not make this totally off topic, Akari's sister's name is spoiler[Akane], apparently.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 wasn't bad, just wish they'd have more Chitose >.>
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I'm dropping this show in favor of A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives. The characters and the art style just isn't doing it for me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I was once standing in line at an espresso bar. The girl in front of me ordered a decaf, nonfat latte. The girl behind the counter turned around and called out the order: "one more Why Bother!"

Episode 3 left me with that sort of feeling.

It would be way cool to be a 7th grader with your own equipped apartment, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5