• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Gunhed manga in the encyclopedia?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guilhem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quote
I wanted to put this title into 'My Manga' but I couldn't find it into the list... I didn't have more luck in looking onto the Kia Asamiya page either... Does this manga have a different title?

Thanks in advance Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The ANN Encyclopedia database is (as such things always are) a work in progress, its extent limited to the sum of the considerable efforts of the many people who have contributed to it, over the years. In practical terms, this means that the database is never complete, and it is probably never going to be complete.

That being the case, the proper response to a missing item in the database is to double-check that it really is missing. If you're sure it isn't in there under another name, submit it as a new anime or manga (or whatever), with appropriate references. An Encyclopedia staffer will add it in due time, and send you a PM confirming it. You can then add such additional data as you have, to the Encyclopedia entry.

Let me just add that no contribution to the Encyclopedia is too small or too trivial to be bothered with. We deeply appreciate all the efforts of everyone involved with helping the database grow.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Let me just add that no contribution to the Encyclopedia is too small or too trivial to be bothered with. We deeply appreciate all the efforts of everyone involved with helping the database grow.

I wish I could agree that for every aspect of the Encyclopedia. Rolling Eyes

For anime information, yes, of course. However, I'm not so sure about manga. Knowledge-wise, I am happy to see the Encyclopedia growing, but if we do allow every single unadapted, unlicensed manga title into the database, this Anime News Network will soon be outnumbered, no, overwhelmed, by manga titles. Just give me a few free weeks at home and I can turn ANN into MNN. Twisted Evil

Thus, IMHO there should be some limit to the manga titles in the Encyclopedia:

- Titles have been adapted into anime, or vice versa.
- Works from manga-ka who has other titles adapted into anime.

This is also partly the reason that I was against adding a new manhwa section in ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm. For the life of me, dormcat, I can't see what would be wrong with adding unlimited amounts of manga data to the Encyclopedia.

So what if they come to outnumber the anime? After all, the manga are the fertile substrate, so to speak, in which the conceptual flora of the anime are rooted. The two are mutually connected, like Siamese twins - and even manga which are never made into anime form are nevertheless part of the generalised cultural ballast of the two interconnected media. It can therefore be reasonably argued that no manga is irrelevant.

Manwha and the like, on the other hand, become relevant only if we accept non-Japanese "anime-like" productions (e.g. Wonderful Days or Oseam) into the database, or if they can somehow be said to have a direct influence on a particular Japanese manga or anime.

Once we do that, however, the "Anime" in ANN's name becomes watered-down. Doing so will require a redefinition of what we mean by the word "anime".

Summing up, I maintain that all manga, great and small, are relevant to the database.

- abunai
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Consider this train of logic. ANN is a website that focuses on English speaking North America (United States and Canada). While Japan's anime industry is an extension of manga, the U.S.'s manga industry is an extension of anime. Therefore, for this site, anime is more important than manga.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Consider this train of logic. ANN is a website that focuses on English speaking North America (United States and Canada). While Japan's anime industry is an extension of manga, the U.S.'s manga industry is an extension of anime. Therefore, for this site, anime is more important than manga.

Spurious "logic". Your premises are either wrong, incomplete, or indeterminate; hence, your "conclusion" can, at best, be said to be conjectural. I'm guessing you've never actually studied logic.

However, the "logic" part aside, I will cheerfully stipulate that anime is more important for this site than manga. Why? Because of the name: "Anime News Network" is a name that clearly signifies to the world that the site's focus is on anime.

However, that is not germane to this discussion. An editorial decision to include manga has already been taken - the question now is not "whether", but "how much".

- abunai
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think that the encyclopedia should be open to all manga titles. Just because a manga isn't available in some places, doesn't mean it is any less of a manga. Many manga titles by authors that have other titles animated are inferior. As long as there's a significant web presence for a series, the information should be relevant to the anime community and thus made availible in the ANN.

Although Masaya Hokazono's Inugami is not available in English, nor have any of his works been adapted into anime, it does not mean that this title is unknown. Since it is published in French, it has a very large web presence. Does the fact that it is neither from an anime-known artist or not availible in English make it any less of a significant contribution to the encyclopedia? Is there good enough reason to say that someone would not need to consult the encyclopedia to find out about this series?

I enjoy the encyclopedia because it's an instant resource. If someone mentions the Ramen Ikaga? manga, I can look it up in an instant. Although You Higuri hasn't been published in English(Albeit, that isn't true for much longer) or has any anime of her works, I can still find her in the encyclopedia.
Ryo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's a very good point.
If the encyclopedia is just for english published titles, what's the point of listing the publishers in the other languages? Restricting the list that way would be rather selfish. Of course there are a lot more manga titles than anime titles, but then again, anime titles usually have more information because they're the focus of this site.

As quincyarcher said, it's still a manga. Whether it's published in english or not means nothing to it. Might as well not list them at all, so someone will start a new website (MNN? Rolling Eyes ) with a manga encyclopedia. That way we would have the two lists, but lose the link between the two ('adapted from' info etc.). That would be a huge loss and would be quite annoying for those who use both.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
What it all boils down to is this: the Encyclopedia is a database. It is not a print encyclopedia, and therefore, there is not necessarily a permanent physical limit on how many entries we can have. We don't have to edit things down to fit a limited number of pages.

Since databases tend to bcome more useful, not less, with the addition of more data (giving more opportunities for crossindexing data that would otherwise be separate), there is no sensible reason why we would limit the number of anime or manga entries in any way - and plenty of sensible resons not to.

-abunai
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Bah... Just include everything into the database that's related, call it Otaku News Network and be done with it. Wink

Or maybe not... Smile

Still, I would like a database for all my CD's, shitajiki and other anime-related paraphanelia, but sometimes I get the feeling it would be a very time consuming process to create one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Guys, don't take me wrong. Anime smile + sweatdrop If I can have it my way, I'd like to include as much ACGM information as possible, no matter if it has been licensed and/or adapted. Just like Godaistudios has said,

Godaistudios wrote:
Bah... Just include everything into the database that's related, call it Otaku News Network and be done with it. Wink

This is exactly the same idea in my mind (eh, maybe not "otaku" Anime smile + sweatdrop ). Those who have read Maniac Road and/or Genshiken should know that anime can't exist independently without manga, games (video, computer, and even board), model (plastic and GK), music (OST, J-Pop), plus derivative merchandises and activities (doujinshi, cosplay, etc.). It is a huge cultural and economical complex. Worldwide.

However, currently there are (technical) limitations of this Encyclopedia. Language options for manga is still the same as anime. IIRC Japanese text encoding was another problem.

I'm still waiting for the Chinese language option and the locale system to replace the current language-based system (that will be opening the floodgate for me, BTW). Say, even with English, UK and Australian licensors are different from North American ones. Putting them under the same LCARS corner is not the best thing to do, right? Wink

This is just one improvement waiting to be implemented on the way-too-long to-do list (sigh).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1