• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Well, the other thing is that NHK only has 8 volumes, so at least you wouldn't be committing yourself to a lengthy series. But yes, uh, "sampling" via the various methods open to a computer-using individual these days is never a bad idea when contemplating an investment of money.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Considering about $400 worth of Bandai stuff. Among them would be some blind buys:

Banner/Crest of the Stars: I enjoy space operas and have heard some good things about this one. But am I prepared to sit through three series?

Yukikaze: Haven't heard a lot about this one but it looks interesting - fighter pilots fighting aliens should make for awesome air battles.

Escaflowne (TV series or movie): I've heard that one was good and the other sucked. I'd like to check out the good one because I've heard it was really up there as far as story. I just can't remember which one it was.

5 Centimeters per Second/ The Girl who Leapt Through Time: Both are highly-regarded films. 5 cm may be a little slow for me though.

Edited for spelling. See below. Total whiff.

Last edited by Imperialkat on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
@imperialkat

While Crest and Banner might be three series, they're 13 eps each or something like that. I think they get better each season. It's much more focused on the relationship between Jinto and Lafiel than the epic war for the most part though. I personally like my space operas really long, so 36 eps was too short for me, but it could just be me wanting more. But Banner III was never released stateside (it's like a 3 ep OVA or something, though Banner II ends on its own well enough, at least where the two mains are concerned). I'd definitely pick it up, though I can see it being boring for those who don't like the genre, but you said you did. Just be prepared that Crest especially has almost no focus on space wars and is entirely about Jinto and Lafiel's budding relationship.

The good Escaflowne is the TV series. The movie is a retelling, though the soundtrack is very good and the animation is epic better. I dunno, just youtube the fight scenes from the movie or something.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
5 Centimeters per Second/ The Girl who Leapt Through Time: Both are highly-redarded films. 5 cm may be a little slow for me though.

This post helped me realize that there's only a one-letter difference between "retard" and "regard". I'm certain there must be some joke out there that exists because of it. You can imagine which one I thought this post first meant. *Insert appropriate reaction gif*

And I'll second the Escaflowne tv series recommendation - definitely better than the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
Considering about $400 worth of Bandai stuff. Among them would be some blind buys:

Banner/Crest of the Stars: I enjoy space operas and have heard some good things about this one. But am I prepared to sit through three series?

They're really good and each is 13 episodes or less, so they're short. Totally worth it.

Quote:
Yukikaze: Haven't heard a lot about this one but it looks interesting - fighter pilots fighting aliens should make for awesome air battles.

It has some great jet fighter action and is well animated.

Quote:
Escaflowne (TV series or movie): I've heard that one was good and the other sucked. I'd like to check out the good one because I've heard it was really up there as far as story. I just can't remember which one it was.

This is a classic. Must watch.

Quote:
5 Centimeters per Second/ The Girl who Leapt Through Time: Both are highly-regarded films. 5 cm may be a little slow for me though.

Skip 5Cm Per Second unless you're a fan of Makoto Shinkai and his uncanny ability to drop the ball near the end of just about all of his works. Definitely pick up The Girl Who Leapt Through Time before it's gone though. That's a great flick.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat, don't do yourself the grave disservice of not viewing 5 cm/sec; it is one of the greatest works of art in animated history. Episode 1 & 3 are the true gems, but 2 is needed, as it further puts things into perspective. Allow yourself to develope expectations for the two main characters, formulate hopes for their future, become consumed by the strength of their bond and the power of their love, until the very end. And then, appreciate the emotional compensation you'll recieve in almost immediate retrospect.

Anyway, I'm considering buying...

Edit: While in the heat of defending something near and dear to me, that I regard as an instant classic, I forget to go into detail and merely provided a list.

Crest of the Stars: I saw it sporadically years ago on G4TechTV and it seemed cool. But, I can't surf ANN more than 10 minutes without seeing it referenced somewhere or someone speaking about much of a masterpiece it is. So, I bought it.

SaiKano: Blame administrators Bamboo Dong and Daniel DeLorme for touting it as an exquisite piece of angst, tragedy, and romance and comparing it to Bokurano, respectively.

Blue Drop: Key gave it a fairly-high grade and it looks interesting. Reminds me, in a strange way, of Uta~Kata.

Escaflowne: Fox ruined it, so I saw a watered-down, incomplete version. And, it's regarded as being one of the best series during a time when we were almost inundated with nothing but high-quality series. I heard the writing is fantastic and the story is epic and adventurous. Plus, the romance is nice, too. I bought it.

Flag: Looks very interesting, and I'm sort of going threw this military/mecha phase. Probably because I just finished Patlabor. The only problem is: it's in hopelessly limited supply and ridiculously expensive.

Haibane Renmei: Works that raise deep philosophical questions and bare layers upon layers of symbolism and hidden messages intrigue me to no end. I have seen a few episodes, but I want to own it and consume this thought-provoking masterpiece, properly.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Imperialkat, don't do yourself the grave disservice of not viewing 5 cm/sec; it is one of the greatest works of art in animated history. Episode 1 & 3 are the true gems, but 2 is needed, as it further puts things into perspective. Allow yourself to develope expectations for the two main characters, formulate hopes for their future, become consumed by the strength of their bond and the power of their love, until the very end. And then, appreciate the emotional compensation you'll recieve in almost immediate retrospect.

Aside from it being pretty, it doesn't sound like we watched the same anime. I don't remember any sort of payoff, spoiler[just a lame montage clip show for an ending and some confusion, frustration, and possibly a small desire to throw something at the television.] Anime dazed

Did I have a defective DVD that skipped an episode or something?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
I, of course, earnestly disagree. The fact that it spoiler[executed a realistic progression of a relationship being maintained over great distance, as opposed to a contrived "reuniting and living happily ever after" ending, was a payoff if you ask me. Episode 1 made you feel for the characters and their relationship, and 2 showed that at least one of them had the passion to wait until they could be together. It made you hope that Takaki and Akari would be able to finally be together in the end. Then, Episode 3 dashed those hopes with the montage showing she had moved on and found new love, while Takaki was a wreck and couldn't make his own current relationship work because he was still holding on to a fragment of hope that they might be together again.

It perfectly ended with them crossing paths near the railroad, with both crossing the tracks and then turning to look back at each other because of a shared premonition of who the other might be, and then two trains rapidly passing before them. The fact that she had continued on walking while he stayed to wait until the trains passed, metaphorically represents his inability to move on, as she did.]

That realistic execution is an emotional reward. But, they'll always be opposing view, I suppose.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, they'll always be opposing view, I suppose.

I guess. There just aren't may occasions where I'd associate a negative return with a reward on an anime.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking about buying Star Driver BD and some other Bandai titles from the weekly specials.

As for 5cm/sec. I have both releases of it. I have not watched the new dub yet because these types of shows are hard for me to watch. I respect it for what it is because anything that can generate the type of emotional reaction it did for me is worthy of being in my collection. Having said that, I kind of agree with Kruszer in that I had a desire to throw something at the television after watching the ending. Shows like this tend to depress me. Crying or Very sad so, I try to stick with shows that have happy endings.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
@Imperialkat

Yukikaze is about realistic style fighter combat and excels like no other anime about aircraft combat. Macross Zero is probably the next closest thing...but it's not that close. I just wish the video quality of the Blu-Ray was up to the reference quality of the audio track on it, next to Redline it's one of the top Anime HD surround tracks. The DVD set would be worth a try. Don't expect to fully understand it all in one viewing though...it's more psychological and introspective than an all out action series and the aliens are even less present and known than in a J.J. Abrahms production...

I am thinking about buying the Kindle versions of the Yukikaze novels and probably will be going ahead with US Blu-Ray releases of Redline and First Squad.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, there's a lot of opinions out there. Thanks, guys (and/or girls) -- this definitely helps in my decision making.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to import the Ano Natsu de Matteru BDs when they're solicited. I know it sounds really stupid (trust me, I know!) when Sentai has already announced they're going to release it, but if I enjoy this nearly as much as I do Toradora or AnoHana - and it's off to a great start - then I'm pretty sure I'll love it more than a cheap, sub-only DVD set. However, I won't make the decision until right around the release date for the first volume in case the streaming numbers explode and Sentai decide to change their release style to include a BD.

Oh goodness. I hope I don't start turning into anti-R1 guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
TKoH is turning Japanese, TKoH is turning Japanese, I really think so
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Is that another reference to a show decades older than myself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 132