• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradise Found

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Very impressive JRPG collection Josh. My hat's off to you. I should send in photos of my shelves of JRPGs. It's nuts. XD
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
If you're going to buy Freezing, buy it in stride

Last edited by Gasero on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty much about DMC how Bamboo did before they watched it. After reading that I may check it out.

Freezing looked pretty mediocre, but if it is actually pretty fun I will consider checking it out. If I am going to watch one fanservice series in the near future, it will probably be Cat Planet Cuties or Heaven's Lost Property, but in the future I might go back and check Freezing out.

I haven't ever played a ME game yet (I know, I'm a terrible person), but I'm glad the anime came out better than the Dragon Age one. Maybe if I check out the games and like them I will watch it.

Overall this was a solid way the start a new Shelf Life run. I did enjoy hearing how you put series into perspectives, I look forward to reading more Bamboo.
___

That is a very nice collection, quite a few fantastic series, and a hell of a nice JRPG collection. Considering that so many take so much time... I have to wonder how they sleep. To have watched and played all that would take so much time, unless they just have a hell of a blacklog running up.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Not a single mention of Metalocalypse during the DMC review?

Son, I am disappoint.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Bamboo's back to Shelf Life which is much more important to me than The Stream because I'm a buyer...which is not to say I don't enjoy reading the streaming column anyway just because I love your writing.

Boo on the no hentai reviews though; god, they were so much fun to read. I guess Zac's previews of the sis-cons and other creepy harem shows for the seasonal guides will just have to do.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The way you describe Freezing makes me interested in trying it...

Levitz9 wrote:
I'm... actually surprised that Freddie Prinze was brought in for the Mass Effect movie. How the mighty have fallen, I suppose.

After Delgo, the only place you can go is up...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Something that I think makes DMC better than it could be is that Soichi has an attraction to as well as a repulsion from his Krauser persona. When he's playing his own wimpy music in the park, reflecting what a relief it is to get away from death metal, he become so annoyed at some fans badly playing DMC songs that he runs into a bathroom to put on his costume so he can come out and show them how its done properly. He's genuinely really good at showmanship.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Wait, Bamboo took a break from Shelf Life? When did this happen?

About 4 years ago, if I recall correctly. Go look in the archives, you van see where she did hentai reviews as well.
varmintx wrote:
Boo on the no hentai reviews though; god, they were so much fun to read. I guess Zac's previews of the sis-cons and other creepy harem shows for the seasonal guides will just have to do.

I think she should continue them, too. But it seems like an editorial decision to keep the site family friendly.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Freezing looked pretty mediocre, but if it is actually pretty fun I will consider checking it out. If I am going to watch one fanservice series in the near future, it will probably be Cat Planet Cuties or Heaven's Lost Property, but in the future I might go back and check Freezing out.

Having seen, owned, and reviewed part or all of all three of them, I'd break them down as follows:

HLP is the best if you mostly care about dirty-minded jokes and panty gags. I'd also rate it as the least of the three.

Freezing is the best if you like you are primarily interested in fan service laced with cruelty and super-powered action.

CPC is at least equal to the others in fan service and tops them in writing, technical merits, and general cleverness. Overall, it's the best of the three by far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

CPC is at least equal to the others in fan service and tops them in writing, technical merits, and general cleverness. Overall, it's the best of the three by far.

Really?

I found Sora no Otoshimono to have some surprisingly interesting themes buried beneath the perviness and boobs, and while Freezing is unabashedly an exploitation show, it had some very well done fight scenes and hands down the best music of the bunch. (Example: Main Theme Sentou I)

On the other hand, I found Asobi ni Iku Yo to be trite and rehashed, and felt like two potentially interesting concepts smashed together haphazardly and clumsily.

I wouldn't rate any of the three particularly highly, but SoraOto and Freezing would definitely be a step or two ahead of Asobi ni Iku Yo
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Bamboo!
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

Really?

Really.

I'd put them in Key's order, as well. CPC has the best story and the best comedy. Freezing tries on the story, but the worldbuilding is awful... who leaves the defense of humanity up to that Lord of the Flies colony? HLP has "interesting themes", but goes nowhere with them. (and DearS did it first. zing!)

And, for pure fanservice, CPC wins easily. HLP: the characters live in chibi-mode. I forgot what the main character's non-chibi artwork looked like half the time. Freezing: Breasts showing = good fanservice. Lungs showing = less so.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Freezing: Breasts showing = good fanservice. Lungs showing = less so.

I'll have to remember that.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Bamboo!

One of these days when my room is a bit more presentable, maybe I'll send in some photos to Shelf Life.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
well give i been like Freezing anime dub like 7 times already this year (give still wanting to get dvd-blu)

yet really worth a buy sure keep focus on watching & then f-service after focus on series especially want those mini ova shorts yea f-service overload!!!

trying to compare with other 2 heaven's lost property & cat planet cuties unless Freezing anime had more action, blood, plot, etc while other 2 more some fun ha ha give bit some drama action.

of 3 still on Freezing anime wagon wonder when s2 coming in?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6