• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN + Lost Data = :(

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 11:09 am Reply with quote
Oh well. Such is life.

I did monthly archives (last one being May 1st), in an attempt to help prevent this sort of thing from happening. Too bad it happened at the worst possible timing... as I would've had a new, full archive _tommorrow_ :p

We've got at least a partial archive of the news (i might have more) to recover from, and we (should) have all the reviews and columns we edited and published..

.. we might just have to re-edit and re-publish them.

I've already searched archive.org and google.com, but if anyone else knows of sites that mirror/cache webpages, feel free to point'em out. :)

[EDIT]

Oh yeah - If anyone registered in the last 10 days, you need to re-create your account.

[/EDIT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Don't feel so bad. I recently replaced my comp, and lost my only copies of my nihilistic short stories in the process. :cry:
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I've done about all I can for the forums.

A number of threads lost some posts, and a few more threads were lost entirely.

Lost threads include:

Iblast Anime service
A recomendation for ANN
Inu-Yasha
Hellsing
Paulina Rubio - Akira reference?
Gundam 0083 Vol. 4
Shin Kurokawa

Most of our news has been recovered, we're only missing 1 article, and we have the original PR material for that article, so if we don't get a copy by tonight we'll re-write the article.

No Columns were lost, we have all those and just need to re-format & post them.

I don't know about the reviews though, I know our reviewers posted several reviews in the past couple of days, hopefully they still have copies on their hard drives or I'm going to cry.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 3:48 pm Reply with quote
*L* I thought it was because of the server change.

Added note: If you made changes to your profile (Like Location, Sig, etc.), you have to change them again. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

*L* I thought it was because of the server change.

Added note: If you made changes to your profile (Like Location, Sig, etc.), you have to change them again. Confused

Actually, the server change went flawlessly. About two hours after Cookie posted that article about the server change visitors were being automatically re-directed to the new server. Then about 1 day later teh new server crashed Sad

-t
skullone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you also lost some user accounts that were recently created. Anyway, keep up the good work, but I think it would be a good practice to archive weekly or bi-weekly from now on.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

I don't know about the reviews though, I know our reviewers posted several reviews in the past couple of days, hopefully they still have copies on their hard drives or I'm going to cry.

Uh, here's a tissue then :-)

Man, its going to be a long weekend.

Boxie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

You can cry on our shoulders, as we'll be weeping as well. The irony is, I've always saved my reviews, except for the last four I wrote, thinking, "Aw hell, it's saved on the servers. Why should I bother to save them on my HD?"

Boxie, my deepest sympathies as well. We'll both be having a boatload of fun this weekend.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:49 pm Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

Actually, you also lost some user accounts that were recently created. Anyway, keep up the good work, but I think it would be a good practice to archive weekly or bi-weekly from now on.

Asd stated in the letter I posted on the front page, we'll be archiving the stie daily from now on.
skullone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This will definitely be a real life-saver for emergencies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1