• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix to End E-Manga Service in N. America, France

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press has a digital manga store and an iphone app, but they didn't have Soul Eater....now I know why. I wasn't even aware Square-Enix had an e-manga store! Now I have to decide if it's worth buying soul eater volumes on there and hope they keep the site running or wait and see if Yen adds it to their library.

Anyways, it seems like the cause of all these failures have been inefficiencies in marketing and mismanagement. First off, these legit companies need to do something to displace pirate sites from the top of Google searches. Google is full of intelligent, tech-savvy employees; I'm sure there are at least a few who have a soft spot for manga/anime. Sorry if that generalization offends anyone, I'm not assigning it any negative or positive judgement. It's just an observation.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was there ... when I tried to read some sample chapters, they could not display the whole page on my netbook screen.

So I never even got as far as Deb Aoki ... I didn't even try to find out how to buy anything on the site.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
So, looks like VIZ is the only Digital Manga provider left. To my knowledge anyway.
Stay tuned.

Quote:
I prefer physical volumes anyway. That way I don't have to worry about sites going down or hard drive failures. I just have to worry about finding the volume I want to read in my very cluttered bookshelf.
You're so old fashioned, but so am I. Wink Meanwhile how many pirate scanlators are closing down? Anybody?

That's precisely true and its not old fashioned cause its normal. I'm 21 and I like looking at the shelves in my room whereas people of all ages download what they want, legally or not.

If you care about a real copy, only paper will do, but if you're only interested in reading once, then there are scanlators as a first stop. Same as there's no need for the licencing of anime if you don't want a hard copy or dubs.

Licensed e-manga won't work in the west.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, just buy books guys.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
So, looks like VIZ is the only Digital Manga provider left. To my knowledge anyway.

Kondasha has an iOS app and regularly provides content. ComiXology has some manga offerings from various publishers, Dark Horse has an app, and some publishers use Amazon

So VIZ isn't the only game in town. Just the most viable.

DMP offers e-manga as well, but I don't know anything about them.

But for Vizmanga, et. al. you are in reality just renting the titles you "buy" for an unspecified period of time. It's not such a great deal either. Amazon has Tenjo Tenge vol. 11 for $11.50 w/ prime. And a new condition book in the Amazon marketplace goes for $9.10. Viz offers the digital version for $9. But despite "buying" it for nearly the same price as the physical manga, you can only view it online through their website.

At the very least, digital manga as DRM-free pdf or epub files would provide a real alternative to physical books that you can still own. Look at the explosion of the digital music market (mp3 and aac)
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
But for Vizmanga, et. al. you are in reality just renting the titles you "buy" for an unspecified period of time. It's not such a great deal either. Amazon has Tenjo Tenge vol. 11 for $11.50 w/ prime. And a new condition book in the Amazon marketplace goes for $9.10. Viz offers the digital version for $9. But despite "buying" it for nearly the same price as the physical manga, you can only view it online through their website.

At the very least, digital manga as DRM-free pdf or epub files would provide a real alternative to physical books that you can still own. Look at the explosion of the digital music market (mp3 and aac)

The manga I have seen at Vizmanga I would be interested in are available as Nook Comics.

They are not DRM-free, but they can be stored on a computer hard drive by downloading the PC Nook app, so if the DRM ever became problematic, it would be feasible to convert them to DRM free at that time.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Not true. You can also download it to your iPad app.

While its not a great state of affairs that we can't download standalone files (even DRM locked ones) for local back ups. It's still more then just renting.

I have faith that in the future consumer pressure will lead to local file back-ups in DRM free formats becoming the standard. Many prose publishers are starting to go that route on Amazon and such now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I have faith that in the future consumer pressure will lead to local file back-ups in DRM free formats becoming the standard. Many prose publishers are starting to go that route on Amazon and such now.
A book can last thousands of years and have lasted that long. Will these "back ups" last 10 years, let alone 100? Whats the life span of a hard drive?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
A book can last thousands of years and have lasted that long. Will these "back ups" last 10 years, let alone 100? Whats the life span of a hard drive?

Individual books have lasted thousands of years on a case by case basis. The vast majority of all books ever produced have been destroyed by the ravages of time.

It's really no different.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
configspace wrote:

Not true. You can also download it to your iPad app.

While its not a great state of affairs that we can't download standalone files (even DRM locked ones) for local back ups. It's still more then just renting.

See: http://www.vizmanga.com/tenjo-tenge
Quote:
Please note: Mature series can only be accessed via the web reader from your PC or Mac.

Nonetheless requiring an app or online connectivity for DRM authentication is still effectively renting. You can't share it, or transfer it to any device, or transfer ownership to another person. And more importantly they do not have any obligation whatsoever to keep the servers or the license around forever. Amazon have pulled Kindle books people have "bought", though with refund, due to: licensing issues, or controversy (people report it as offensive, and they play it safe)

I only buy digital books from tech publishers despite Amazon having a cheaper kindle version because interestingly, just about all the tech publishers now offer DRM-free PDFs. While they're watermarked with your name, you can do anything you want with them including printing!

But until I see some indication otherwise, I don't have any faith we'll see DRM-free manga.

Mohawk52 wrote:

Current books won't last anywhere near 1000 years unless maybe it's expensive archival quality paper. It'll be yellow and brittle by the end of ones life, and that's assuming keeping it dry, dark, cool storage for most of its life.

As for digital assets, the advantage is that you can continuously archive it in perfect quality forever in any medium. Hard drives are finicky things, but should last for a few years if they don't die an early death. But this is not a problem since you can and should always make backups (or use raid at least).

Good quality optical media with certain types of dyes and coatings like by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden should last 50 - 100 years. There have been accelerated aging stress tests done on them. And now, all LG drives are capable of burning M-Disc DVDs. These M-Discs can be read on any DVD drive and they are supposed to last 1,000+ years.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Nonetheless requiring an app or online connectivity for DRM authentication is still effectively renting. You can't share it, or transfer it to any device, or transfer ownership to another person.

Well, effectively, if the DRM can be broken, then its not really preventing the sharing of the file, or transfer of ownership to any device, and whether or not you can formally transfer of ownership rights has always been a legal rather than a technical question.

But even setting aside the fact that there may be no way to actually prevent sharing or device transfer with a physical download of a "DRM" file to an accessible folder ... what about if the DRM algorithm can be applied by a third party, as with Nook Comics?

You are also going for the whole collection of different rights that have accumulated for books over the centuries ... the core complaint most people have with online readers is that they want a better prospect of perpetual access.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Another e-manga services which I rarely hear about is ZQ Books. They have an iOS app for the iPad and may have apps for other platforms.

Few of their titles are available in book form in English and the selection is varied.

Some of the titles I have downloaded to my iPad include The Quiet Don (a yakuza gag manga), Salaryman Kintaro (much more to the story than the anime and movie), The Poor Man's Dining Table (where a poor widower comes up with interesting inexpensive recipes), and one of my favorites Hiba - Wild Seven Another (a Sequel to The Wild Seven).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2