• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime film festival in Northeast Ohio needs help!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hello all!

For a good time, the Gamer's Edge Game Club in Parma, Ohio has been running all night anime film festivals for our members with some success. Now, in our fourth year as a non-profit orginization, we're taking our film festivals to the people. Our plan is to run a noon to midnight film festival, interspersed with an anime music video contest (which William Milberry of Aluminum Studios has already expressed interest in) a costume contest as judged by our own staff and a few token sponsor vendors. Already, our trial run in March was a moderate success, but it failed to generate numbers that could entice potential sponsors. Now, I turn to you, the anime community to please tell me if you are interested, if you know people who are interested, if you want to help with anything. We're in dire straits (in fact Mark Knopfler won't even speak to me anymore). I'll answer any and all questions you have.

Thank you for your time!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:45 am Reply with quote
All right, A question has been posed to me via-email about our playlist and format. Here goes.

Our playlist is still way up in the air. A lot of it depends on if we strike promotional deals with the major anime firms. As of right now, we have people talking with Urban Vision about Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust which we want. Also in the air are showings of the Ah! My Goddess movie, Char's Counterattack, Akira, Kite, and many others. Not to mention our fierce negotiations for a copy of Cowwboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. But rest assured, it'll be a great mix of genres and both the latest greats and grand classics. Plus, between feature movies, there will be showings of random excellent episodes of a multitude of stellar series, just to keep things rolling and keep people smiling.

As for format (here comes outrage, I'm sure but hear me out first) we have decided that until later on in the night, the showings will be dubbed. This will upset many fans, I'm sure, but there is a madness to our method.
What we want to do is to show the "Dragonball Z/ Pokemon" crowd that there is life beyond electrified rats and fighting. Unfortunately, it's fairly hard to do this with subtitled prints of "Jin Roh". We know, we tried. This doesn't mean that we're not going to be careful either. Everything we show will be pre-screened by ourselves personally (if we havn't seen it three million times already in every incarnation we can think of) by watching both the sub and the dub to check for accuracy and how appropriate the English voices are.

Finally, not to confirm anything. But our tentative name is the North East Ohio Anime Fandom Rennasaince Orginazation. or NEOAFRO. Trust us, it wasn't intentional. Although this probably means that Lupin will be on a lot of our signs.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Our name is confirmed! We are the North East Ohio Anime Fandom Rennasaince Orginazation.

With that out of the way, I want to say that to the 40+ people who've looked at this so far, thanks a lot! To any more who come along, thanks a lot!

As for new news, be forewarned. We will soon have a guest speaker at NEOAFRO. (It's an unintentional abbreviation, darn it.) Stay tuned and keep asking me questions. I love answering them. Oh and check out our partner at- www.animeretropolis.com - They'll have all the news you want on this very soon.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:32 pm Reply with quote
For everyone who's been asking this, here's the answer:
The target date for NEOAFRO is either October 19th or October 25th. And we promise that ticket price will be no more than ten dollars. The exact price will depend on sponsor participation.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:54 am Reply with quote
Egad! 300 people have looked at this! This is just the news we needed. That's almost the capacity of the hall we're trying to land. Which, if we do, will move the date to November 23rd. I hope nobody will mind. Plus, rumor has it that my contact who is setting up our playlist is talking with Manga Entertainment to get some ultra-top secret film. My contact isn't saying. But it could be big! Pray for us to whatever deity you believe in. And wait for the latest breaking details on NEOAFRO! More to come soon.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Well then. I hope everybody has an opinion they'd like to express because now we're giving you the means to do so.
http://pub72.ezboard.com/bneoafro
is our new forum where you'll be able to give us input on playlist titles, our cosplay contest, and other great events. Plus, you'll be able to preregister for tickets to this exciting film festival. The specific will be explained on the forum. Hope to hear from you there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1