• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!!×2 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I got really excited at the beginning of the episode, the tension was built-up well, the narration of different members of the dollars fit, the music got it, spoiler[Mikado's struggle was on the line], I recovered my interest...

... and again the episode returned to spoiler[the bland bridge nature again, so although I liked it more than the previous episode and there was fun cameos and crazy turns], I was still kind of "eh". This season stopped being about "characters in situations" with the right focus to be just "things happening". This could have been fixed with better order and focus of the episodes to make us feel better about all the characters' conflicts, but here it's lacking a whole lot, and especially the use of music is really weak and jarring. The ending of the episode especially confuses me and pisses me off, that final note to end the episode kind of shows that the ones focused on structuring of the anime are not really trying.

*sigh*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Part 1 - Finale):

Decent episode overall.

Poor spoiler[Vorona and Izaya though. I think that they both underestimated their opponents a bit. However, I am also glad to see Akane being more understanding about Shizou. (p.s. Don't mess with this guy when he's angry) I also feel bad for Mikado as well...with all the responsibility he is carrying on his shoulders. Solid conclusion to this cour.]

It sets up the nice part nicely. Rating the first part of this sequel as....very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lovely

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12-

spoiler[BALLPOINT PEN SCENE YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.]

Sorry. I've been waiting for that scene for SO long. So long.

Lots of other good scenes specifically in this episode too of course. spoiler[ For example, the end with Izaya and Yodogiri. heh heh. Shizuo and Akane bein' cute, etc. ] but yeah. Good times~ .

Oh. yeah. I'm gonna guess that some of you are confused on who spoiler[hired who] , so here we go!

spoiler[ Basically, Slon and Varona took on a lot of jobs from a lot of people at once.

1- Akane-papa hired them to kill the spies in the organization. He's not the boss of Awakusu (his dad is), so he wanted this done without anyone knowing it was him.
ANYWAYS. Izaya had nothing to do with the hit, but he did find out about it and used it to his advantage.

2- Yodogiri hired them to kidnap Akane. (and take out the "bodygaurd". )
I..... kinda don't remember his EXACT reasons. Coulda just been as insurance since the Awakusu group was mad at him for sending them after Ruri and not telling them that Ruri is... special.
(Yodogiri is technically an information broker like Izaya btw.)

3- Izaya is the one that hired them to hurt Anri.
His reasons being that he didn't want the "non-human" getting in the way of him causing trouble in general.

]

So I guess the moral of the story is, don't overbook? haha
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
An all out fight with no end in sight.
Even spoiler[Shizuo] showed up in his usual manner.
And stumbled upon spoiler[kidnapped Akane]..
Things fell into place nicely.
spoiler[Anri-chan] getting harassed was ROFL
Everything got explained.
Wtf, is spoiler[Mikado] developing a personality disorder?
Who knew he could be scary when he wanted to.
Guess he grew a lot as well.
Can't wait to watch Chapter 2 this spoiler[summer]!!
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Lovely: Wait, WHAT?? I watched the episode and no hints about spoiler[who hired] the 3rd one, and the 1st one is extremely confusing by the dialogue.

In fact, is it true what I heard that (spoiler from novel 4) spoiler[Awakusu is in problems with Yodogiri because Yodogiri hired Awakusu to kidnap Ruri without saying she was a danger and therefore sacrificing many men pointlessly]? If this is true and it's perfectly stated in the novels, my god this anime season sucks at giving proper information because it's completely missing.

And well, I'll comment in the other thread in the talkback because probably most of the discussion will be there, but I thought this episode was in the same vein of insipid direction to what it looked a cool climax, and although spoiler[I enjoyed Shizuo the bland direction still couldn't make me care], so most of the problems of this season as a whole are directing-wise (although I have some criticisms to the content too), but surprisingly the scenes that are a teaser for the next season were really interesting (spoiler[Mikado and the pen oh my god]), but given how Durarara can be with anticlimaxes and with this insipid direction I hope they can pay off and the producers wake up and freaking put some life into their work.
Lovely

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Lovely: Wait, WHAT?? I watched the episode and no hints about spoiler[who hired] the 3rd one, and the 1st one is extremely confusing by the dialogue.

Yeah, the 1st one was more obvious in the books, mostly because of an anime-cut scene on how spoiler[Shiki confirms it (he had already basically figured it out though.)

When Slon uses a flashbomb to kidnap Akane and is driving off, Shiki catches Akane-papa saying "YOU TRAITOR" or something like that to Slon. ]

justsomeaccount wrote:

In fact, is it true what I heard that (spoiler from novel 4) spoiler[Awakusu is in problems with Yodogiri because Yodogiri hired Awakusu to kidnap Ruri without saying she was a danger and therefore sacrificing many men pointlessly]? If this is true and it's perfectly stated in the novels, my god this anime season sucks at giving proper information because it's completely missing.

It's true. It's mentioned a few extra times too.

spoiler[ Though I should note that Ruri didn't actually kill any of the Yakuza guys. Just really, really injured them.

OH! And I should also mention that Yodogiri didn't hire the Awakusu to kidnap Ruri. He actually hired them to KILL her. But the Awakusu changed the plan on their own to "kidnapping" because a lot of the higher ups (including Shiki, and I think Akabayashi) are really, REALLY big Ruri-fans. (heh)

So the "new plan" was to kidnap Ruri and relocate her and tell her to never come back. ]

And yes. This plot point being hardly mentioned in the anime was odd. I kept on hoping that they would mention it more at one point, because I knew people would really be confused on that point.

justsomeaccount wrote:

And well, I'll comment in the other thread in the talkback because probably most of the discussion will be there, but I thought this episode was in the same vein of insipid direction....

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I love this series, and while I do think episode 12 did a MUCH better job than some previous episodes, this season itself is just not conveying information or even the spirit of some things very well.
With the visual media, you have to to SHOW not tell. Which with books, you can tell things that can't normally be shown. In both cases you have to take advantage of the media. Narita did an awesome job of this with the books. spoiler[ For example, pointing out that Aoba and the Blue Squares thought Mikado was being DAMNED creepy with having the medical supplies all pre-prepared and ready.].
But yeah, I feel like the writers/directors of the anime-adaption, for this season, are trying way to hard to follow the EVENTS of the book scene for scene, page by page, while cutting out some of the feelings/intent behind them.

Which for me, a reader of the books, is okay, I mean, I still get to see some of my favorite moments animated (usually.) But I always think it's a shame when an anime series doesn't take advantage of its visual strengths.

The lack of new music, and interesting camera angles and the like kinda adds to that occasional disappointment.

Hopefully, the anime-crew reevalute things a bit and handle the next season better. I mean, they do have some time before summer.

This will be especially important with the next book to be adapted as it is actually a bit of a weird/different one compared to the other books.

EDIT: Woooow, lookit all the words I wrote! I am such a Drrr-nerd Anime hyper . Sorry everyone. orz.
Lovely

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
OKAY! Since my last post was kinda tl;dr, One extra tid-bit 'o fun!

Something that I think would be obvious to Japanese watchers but less obvious to those of us not familiar with Japan.

spoiler[ Izaya was not in Tokyo/Ikibukuro when he got stabbed.]
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lovely wrote:

Yeah, the 1st one was more obvious in the books, mostly because of an anime-cut scene on how spoiler[Shiki confirms it (he had already basically figured it out though.)

When Slon uses a flashbomb to kidnap Akane and is driving off, Shiki catches Akane-papa saying "YOU TRAITOR" or something like that to Slon. ]

Honestly, is most likely just going to be rearranged and brought up down line spoiler[like Aoba's pas]t. The S1 did this a lot only it had two cours in one season bring come back to those plot elements again. Otherwise it's not really important at moment. The anime clearly treating Shou as one part of out of three, so staff has flexibility to choose what to adapt and when.
Misibe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
I was really, really looking forward to the spoiler[ballpoint pen] scene and to spoiler[Izaya getting stabbed.] Seeing those scenes in the anime was really nice, especially after one of my other favorite moments from the books (spoiler[when Izaya's sister takes the bra of a girl who bullied her and makes another kid clean her desk with it]) was left out. Still, I felt like these parts suffered from the same issues as the rest of the season: a lack of emotion, or excitement. It just didn't feel like anything really cool was happening.
Since it's been almost three years since I read the books, I didn't remember all the plot points that well, so even to me it got a bit confusing when it came to who hired whom. Guess I'll have to do some re-reading.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
"Emperor has no clothes."

Original series completely lost credibility once it was exposed just wimpy winy children were heads of street gangs. It is so ridiculous that it is impossible to take this concept seriously. It is so fake that you do not believe in this story even for a second.

And this new season is confusing mess that has no point or direction -- just a set gimmicky tricks that are example of style over substance.

I am not saying that this Durarara (first one or this one) is bad anime at all, there are still some interesting things going on, intricacy is available, animation is good, but when I watch it the phrase I quoted in the beginning of this comment pops up in my head on its own.

(Moved here from wrong thread.)
Lovely

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Uh..... smaller street gangs normally ARE started by kids. It's the big gangs (yakuza, mafia's, syndicates, cartels) which are more professional/adult run.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
"Emperor has no clothes."

Original series completely lost credibility once it was exposed just wimpy winy children were heads of street gangs. It is so ridiculous that it is impossible to take this concept seriously. It is so fake that you do not believe in this story even for a second.

And this new season is confusing mess that has no point or direction -- just a set gimmicky tricks that are example of style over substance.

I am not saying that this Durarara (first one or this one) is bad anime at all, there are still some interesting things going on, intricacy is available, animation is good, but when I watch it the phrase I quoted in the beginning of this comment pops up in my head on its own.

(Moved here from wrong thread.)

Yeah, even if the point of it is that the gangs are at the end of the day just a bunch of paper tigers formed by a bunch of bored children who have nothing better to do with their time it doesn't exactly do it in a compelling manner which is only exacerbated by the fact that there are far more interesting plot lines happening off screen.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Lovely wrote:
Uh..... smaller street gangs normally ARE started by kids. It's the big gangs (yakuza, mafia's, syndicates, cartels) which are more professional/adult run.

Gangs never started by children who are way weaker/younger than most of other members. This is utterly ridiculous, there is more fantasy in this than in a headless shadow woman. You could kind of buy it in case of black-haired teen because he was anonymous, but it is inexcusable in case of blond youth.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
^ Masaomi is a person who Izaya even recognizes in a conversation with Namie ("Why so much interest in a simple bunch of kids?" "The fact that he could meet so much people even being a kid shows that he's not a normal person"), has authority and can be very violent and intimidating with his members to the point that even the conspiracy members of his team had to slowly infiltrate into the band to the point of him being alone, and even THEN in the two last episodes Masaomi beat the hell out of many of them, he had to be saved but because it was 50 VS 1. Masaomi is more terrifying and fucked up than people think.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Both friends are sociopath maniacs, that is clear. However, it is still not believable at all that the blond one could be leader of a gang. Just impossible. Age and physical strength are obligatory for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14