• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Saved You a Kleck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Torrin wrote:
I found two ANNcasts with Shawne, is there any other besides this one and the one from 2012? I would really like to listen to more if there is.

Kleckbait- Oct. 3, 2014

A Shawne Thing- Jan. 22, 2011

Right Stuffed- Dec. 10, 2009
Torrin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much.
joepz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I certainly wish I could have listened to the ANNCast live, instead of being at work. I'd have loved to ask Shawn K some questions about the new TRSI website.

Over the years, I've spent over 100 grand at TRSI if I spent a nickel, so I obviously enjoy ordering from them. But the new site has been a disaster for me in several ways...

I had a habit of placing at least one pre-order a month, and I'd go through the entire list of pre-order items. If I selected one, I'd get the product page, with a banner across the top if I'd already ordered it, and the order number. I'd have pre-orders with 25 or more items. You's also get this banner if just browsing the store and selected an item.

Now, selecting an item gives you nothing. No way of knowing if you have it on a pre-order, or you've already purchased it and it's in the "giant-stacks-of-anime-waiting-to-be-watched." In addition, no items from a pre-order will be shipped until EVERY item is available for shipment, so where is the incentive to even place a pre-order anymore? I won't even get into the nightmare of trying to view existing orders at the TRSI site. If Magellan had to navigate like this, the earth would still be flat!

I ended up having to cancel a half-dozen pre-orders, and re-order the items in small groups based on their release dates. And now, I won't even pre-order anything anymore. The trickle-down effect of this is that I'm no longer pre-ordering everything willy-nilly, based on whether or not I THINK I'll like it, or will ever get to see it. Perhaps this is a good thing. Rolling Eyes
lem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
joepz wrote:
...I'd have loved to ask Shawn K some questions about the new TRSI website.

perhaps you've already seen it? anyway, to increase your odds of a response from Mr. Kleckner or that of a company rep, there's also this ANN thread that everyone has been asking questions and providing feedback regarding the "update to the site":

New RightStufAnime.com
joepz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
joepz wrote:
...I'd have loved to ask Shawn K some questions about the new TRSI website.

perhaps you've already seen it? anyway, to increase your odds of a response from Mr. Kleckner or that of a company rep, there's also this ANN thread that everyone has been asking questions and providing feedback regarding the "update to the site":

New RightStufAnime.com

No, hadn't seen that at all. Thanks!!!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
We like the new website, except for one big thing - the past Order History list.

We've had some correspondence with Rightstuf about it that goes something like this:

• I see that our Order History now goes back up to 2013. Would the rest of our Order History be added? And if so, is it soon?

The reason I'm asking is because I have Order History that goes back a decade, and for the Rightstuf Holiday Sale, I want to avoid unintentionally ordering the same item twice. But Rightstuf's website can't let me know if I already ordered something in the past unless my whole Order History is available. That's why I really appreciated Rightstuf's old Order History list since it showed all my past orders all at once (especially quick with a web-browser keyword search).

• So I take it that no more past Order History beyond 2013 will be added
    anymore in the future?
    That's quite unfortunate - Rightstuf's old Order History was very useful
    in double-checking past purchases and avoiding duplicate purchases.

This actually makes me more reluctant to buy some Holiday Sale items
    because I have to make sure first that I didn't already purchase it before
    (and that entails having to search through my boxes of anime stuff,
    when before I could just easily search through Rightstuf's old
    Order History list that goes back many years to a decade).

I hope you guys reconsider and add the rest of all our past Order History.
    Please let your boss Mr. Shawne Kleckner know it'd be greatly appreciated.
    That complete list of past Order History makes us coming back to shop at
    Rightstuf year after year because we know we can rely on it.
    (For reference, Amazon keeps all our Order History through the years.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

Here I thought I was disorganized because I have trouble keeping anime and manga spreadsheets up to date.

I can't imagine not knowing what anime I had bought. Also if I did need a list to keep up (which I do with manga) I can't imagine letting some commercial organization keep it for me.

It occurs to me that if a show is so unimportant that you can't remember if you bought it before, it probably isn't worth buying, no matter how cheap.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I can't imagine not knowing what anime I had bought. Also if I did need a list to keep up (which I do with manga) I can't imagine letting some commercial organization keep it for me.

Rightstuf was so so good about it over the years.
One would think it'd be something they would retain to keep customers returning year after year.
It was nice that everything was in one place, instead of buying in several different sites then cross-referencing separate lists.
Now that's one less advantage of Rightstuf for repeat-customers; even when Rightstuf was more expensive, it was a good reason to buy there, just to keep as much of everything in the same list, but now......

Alan45 wrote:

It occurs to me that if a show is so unimportant that you can't remember if you bought it before, it probably isn't worth buying, no matter how cheap.

Friends and I share our libraries - we don't always know what was bought by whom. We like to have the home videos in case another of us wants to see something. When buying from Rightstuf (and combining purchases to get free shipping), that list was very useful to avoid duplicate purchases.

They have those customers' lists in digital text files saved somewhere. All they have to do is add those into the new database (like when they migrated over the customers' "saved for later" lists), or at the very least, just provide a link to the old file.
joepz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
We like the new website, except for one big thing - the past Order History list.

We've had some correspondence with Rightstuf about it that goes something like this:

[/i] [/list]

(bullet point comments deleted for space)

My concerns are exactly yours. I don't mind the new website, but it's too important to me to be able to click on an item and not know if I've already ordered/bought it. It's a bit embarressing to admit, but I have several THOUSAND sets of DVDS that I haven't had the opportunity to watch yet. I've made the mistake in the past of buying something from a publisher that they've picked up from a now-defunct company, having already bought the original. Embarassed
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They have those customers' lists in digital text files saved somewhere.
I actually shuddered in horror at the thought of maintaining order history in a text file. >.>

I've been ordering from RightStuf since 2008. Losing the history sucks, but let's be real here: a lot of SKUs released before 2013 aren't even in print anymore. Given the amount of time between history imports, I have to conclude that there's a large amount of effort in actually doing the migration (data migration is almost never a drag-drop operation), and there's a point of diminishing returns in doing such things where at some point it's just not worth it.

I understand the desire to have that history, but I'm sympathetic enough to the agony of data migration to let it go.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol

While I understand why you have the current problem, this is a prime example of why I would not let someone else maintain a list I relied on. Also I'm not sure how this would work with you and your friends unless you have all purchases done by a single individual.

Seriously, you should simply bite the bullet and make your own list. If you have spreadsheet or database software on your computer use that. If not use the My Collection portion of My Anime here on the website or some other website of choice. At least those lists are specifically maintained for that purpose and are not likely to be taken down unless the site closes.

Do what I did to populate My Collection. Put your boxes of disks beside your computer and just enter the titles as you come to them. The soft ware will sort for you. You will be surprised at how fast it goes. The process will have the side effect of uncovering stuff you have forgotten about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@enurtsol

Also I'm not sure how this would work with you and your friends unless you have all purchases done by a single individual.

Not a single individual, but a single account.
Just need the login access, and any friend could decide how he/she wants to pay for it and where to send it.

(Here's another tip: by sharing the cost of a single Amazon Prime account, you and your friends can have free 2-day shipping along with Amazon Video and Music. Wink )

But regardless, the end effect is this made us less enthusiastic in purchasing from Rightstuf than we were before. They lost one less advantage compared to their competitors.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

Your need to maintain a spread sheet or data base on this is even more pressing. Not only could you keep track of what you have, but of where it is and who bought it. This will save problems down the road when one or more leave the area.

In my case, sharing like this is not an option. No one I associate with is even remotely interested in anime or manga. My fandom is here at ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4