• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Return of "Old School" animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Kaine23 wrote:

I loved the He-Man remake- I also liked how they remade the classic characters..and Orko still rocks.

Overall, I liked it too. However, I thought Teela looked too much like a sorceress, The Sorceress looked too Egyptian and Cringer should NOT have sounded like a housecat. Even a scared tiger doesn't meow Confused I liked that he didn't talk, but that sound was just wrong.

Other than that, I liked it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
skullone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Nostalgia or not, I think the old school animation has some finesse that isn't there in many latter-day productions. True, computer graphics do give consistency and speed production up a lot, but either the feel isn't "right" or something's missing - at least, that's my perception.

Furthermore, this extreme simplification of the character designs (mostly) that is so evident in many popular anime series annoys me. Not that Heidi's (for example) character designs were more detailed, but they felt familiar. Those tiny, pointy noses and stuff like that feel a bit too artificial, too "prefabricated".

Not to mention that I get the feeling that the characters' eyes have grown way too large lately and the heads have become too potato-like or too round.

My absolute favorite character design style is Haruhiko Mikimoto's from the 1984-1987 era -just my personal opinion.
HothJedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Finallly saw He-man this morning. It was much better than I thought it would be. Now to just watch that new Transformers show that is on next Friday Smile

And yeah, I remember the Exo-squad, that show was great! It was really dark, and reminds me more of an anime than most other American cartoons.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:50 pm Reply with quote
phoenix wrote:

i used to watch the Mysterious Cities of Gold when I was little to practice my French; I really loved that series. I think it's been run in Quebec a total of 3 times so far, including 4 years ago, and each time I've tried to watch it, and I have yet to see the ending. Does anyone know if this series is available on DVD or VHS?

In the last year or two, MCoG has been released on French DVD (PAL, Region 2), and VHS (PAL). Do a search for Les Mysterieux Cities d'Or (or however it's spelled in French) on a french DVD-selling site (amazon.co.fr?) and you should be able to find it.

The DVDs only include the French dub.

I do not think the Japanese or English dubs have been released on DVD.. although the highest quality video that any fan seems to have is the Japanese version, which apparently was rebroadcast on BS2 not too long ago.

Tim Skutt made bootleg English VCDs out of either a French or Japanese video source, and synched up the English audio to it. He also made SVCD (mpeg2) encodings, which apparently rival (if not surpass) the French DVD releases, in terms of quality. You can probably find more information by searching for his name on Google.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The new He-man... is... to put it simply...

Justice League. With swords.

JL was heralded as something new, unique and special.

While certainly new, it didn't strike me as being very unique or overly special (aside from the "wide screen" broadcasts... which were just black lines over the top and bottom of the picture to give it a 'widescreen look').

It didn't go as far as Batman: TAS, say, or even Superman. While it fleshed out the stiff cardboard cutouts of the 70s Superfriends series, it didn't really break any ground that hadn't already been done by anime months (if not years) prior (I'm not even talking about the video market. I'm talking about the stuff that's been on TV!). Maybe it's supposed to be special because it's American?

At any rate, I found He-Man to be much the same. It's a drastic improvement over the original series.. but it doesn't DO anything for the fan of animation who wants to see something "new" or unexpected done with the medium.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

But let us hope it doesn't get out of hand or next thing we know somebody is going to start thinking about how great the Go-Bots were.

I remember that I really liked Go Bots when I was very young. I don't think the Transformers cartoon(s?) was on our cable system back then, so I had no basis of comparison with which to consider Go Bots good, bad, or otherwise. Even now, I only remember ever seeing The Movie (which has a sweet soundtrack, BTW *_*) and a handful of episodes of "Transformers Generation 2" and the first Beast Wars season/series.

It's a good thing I've almost entirely forgotten it, or I might have been the one to rant about how great it was. Anime smile;;

Speed Racer I do remember. And Voltron. And whatever incarnation of Gatchaman was on TV in the late 80s/early 90s.

Cookie wrote:

Conan the Adventurer

That one I remember. That was at about 2:00 in the afternoon sometime I was in Elementary and my oldest younger sister (4 years younger) was not yet. She introduced it to me one day when schoo let out early. I believe I watched quite a bit of that series, actually.

I forget the phoenx's name, but it had a thing for pomegranates, didn't it? Confused

Kaine23 wrote:

Anyone remember Exo-Squad?

I vaguely remember it. I don't think I would call it "old school", though. Didn't it only come out 5 or 6 years ago?
Confused

Does anyone happen to remember The Centurions? Or The Pirates of Dark Water? Or maybe Danger Mouse? C.O.P.S.?

Would Mighty Max be considered old school animation, or is that too recent? I want to think it was on around the same time as Exo Squad, but I'm not sure. It might have been a little older than that.

I really liked Swat Kats too, but I'm pretty sure that isn't old school...

Oh, the memories. Shocked
RoyalGalaxia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:52 pm Reply with quote
YAH!! I remember the Pirates of Dark Water!!! I loved that show! I wonder if they will ever bring that back? They always had the coolest storylines on there. ^.^ Thank you for that little reminder, I near completely forgot all about that show. What a terrible thing to forget such a wonderful show. I'm not sure that I have ever seen the other ones you mentioned though.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:55 pm Reply with quote
As I probably didn't say well enough in my reply, I didn't mean to offend Go-Bots fans out there. My intent was to find an example series that was very average and state that, while I enjoy nostalgia, I don't want to see too many of the older series "reborn" into shadows of their former selves. I agree with Cookie, Justice League didn't go far enough. (It also smacks of political correctness which I absolutely abhor). I enjoyed Batman: The Animated Series because it was an improvment. My concern is that we won't get much improvement in the remakes, just rehashes.

PS: I feel the same way about retro styling in cars. I thought that we were supposed to look to the future with our concepts, and incorporate the past (ie. BMW Z8), not the reverse. (ie: Ford GT40)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2