• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces 2011-2014 Hunter x Hunter's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
CyberLance wrote:
So have they not even started dubbing the English episodes yet?

They have, someone on the previous page showed a clip from the panel.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
So, like every other distributor right? Because they've all done that before. And you wanted examples and then said they don't count even though Hunter x Hunter will certainly do better than Nura.

FUNimation hardly has a better record. Toriko. Sgt. Frog. Shin-chan. D. Gray-man. Kodocha. xxxholic.
I love how 3 of them had Todd Haberkorn voicing the mains characters.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Not a dub fan, but there's no way I'm buying any HxH 2011 sets until the series is at least half-way released. No way I'm getting stuck with yet another incomplete series from Viz. I already have the '99 series on DVD anyway.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
lil disappointed that Erica is Gon. But she seems to have improved since performing as Aladdin in Magi which was her lowest point, Ryuko was a bit better but still very limited in her tomboyish tone. But overtime I can tolerate her somewhat. The rest seems okay with Vee doing something a lil different from her usual typecast.

Now to see if this gets a good release treatment. Which was the only fear and disappointment I felt when Viz got it. I don't want those bland naruto/bleach type sets unless they pull off something cool, like a spine artwork that is complete when you get all the sets ala Space Brothers.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
CyberLance wrote:
So have they not even started dubbing the English episodes yet?

They have, someone on the previous page showed a clip from the panel.

Thanks sorry i missed that before.
I really hope they have finished dubbing many episodes by now so we can get the release date for the Hunter x Hunter DVDs very soon.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I just got confirmation on Kurapika from Char of Viz. Sorry for missing it yesterday! It's Erika Harlacher.

https://twitter.com/NebsTV/status/711598044651909122
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not a dub fan, but there's no way I'm buying any HxH 2011 sets until the series is at least half-way released. No way I'm getting stuck with yet another incomplete series from Viz. I already have the '99 series on DVD anyway.

That is such a self-fulfilling prophecy. If nobody supports that gives them reason to stop. They don't stop half-way for no reason.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Not particularly interested in dubs, don't even know the actors you're talking about, but I do hope HxH anime lands well in the West, I know the manga had next to no problems, but an anime is totally a different story.

I suppose that mistakes are learned and we don't end up with "Kyurawpicaw" or "Lioriou" and I think Hisoka was called "Haisoka", in the 99 dub. I'm also interested in how it will go for technique naming, all translated to English or kept as the originals? Some of the japanese techniques translated to English sound particularly dull, like Denkouseka, Shippu Jinrai and Kanmuru to Speed-of-Lightning, Thunder Hurricane and Godspeed. In fact, you can even use the "second name", sometimes the abilites have two names, like Skill Hunter and Bandit's Secret.

Oh, and I hope they don't use just some common old man voice for Netero, since it's gonna be real tough for his serious voice.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

That is such a self-fulfilling prophecy. If nobody supports that gives them reason to stop. They don't stop half-way for no reason.

I don't see how people can defend companies that do incomplete physical releases. Viz had already English dubbed all of Monster but decided that releasing all 74 episodes on DVD was a bad idea. They claim bad sales, but it would have made sense to complete the release to at least make back some of expense from the dub.

I don't blame fans of HxH 2011 for being nervous. If a company has decided to do a physical release of a long series they should be prepared to deal with the possibility of low sales. They should release the whole damn thing, even if they are losing money because it is never a good idea to piss fans.

Or companies could just do sub-only release for long series, like Sentai is doing with Space Brothers and will probably do with Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Cristina does not have any boy credits AFAIK which is why I was also a bit surprised.

Hawk from Seven Deadly Sins is technically a male pig.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Cristina does not have any boy credits AFAIK which is why I was also a bit surprised.

Hawk from Seven Deadly Sins is technically a male pig.

Mamejiro the three eyed ferret from "Blood Lad" is also considered a male character, and it happens to be Cristina's first male character she voiced.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Not particularly interested in dubs, don't even know the actors you're talking about, but I do hope HxH anime lands well in the West, I know the manga had next to no problems, but an anime is totally a different story.

I suppose that mistakes are learned and we don't end up with "Kyurawpicaw" or "Lioriou" and I think Hisoka was called "Haisoka", in the 99 dub. I'm also interested in how it will go for technique naming, all translated to English or kept as the originals? Some of the japanese techniques translated to English sound particularly dull, like Denkouseka, Shippu Jinrai and Kanmuru to Speed-of-Lightning, Thunder Hurricane and Godspeed. In fact, you can even use the "second name", sometimes the abilites have two names, like Skill Hunter and Bandit's Secret.

Oh, and I hope they don't use just some common old man voice for Netero, since it's gonna be real tough for his serious voice.

It doesn't matter what you think about English dubs. It doesn't.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
It doesn't matter what you think about English dubs. It doesn't.

Huh. Eh... Chill, I guess?

First, I said I'm not particularly interested, mostly because English is not my main language and I prefer watching anything in original language, also because I don't buy the DVDs since it's very costly to import them here. But that doesn't mean I can't watch it just to hear what it's like and say what I like and what I don't, for example, the way names are pronounced in the 99' dub.

Second, yeah, no, it doesn't matter. Care to say that to all of the users that posted before this? I'm pretty sure not much people care about what we discuss here anway but we do that because, eh...it's a forum, I suppose.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that some of the "wait and see if they'll finish it" stuff on this thread is a bit silly. I know they didn't have the most consistent track record in the mid 00's but the last time they pulled a Monster was well...Monster which by this point happened 6 years ago. Since then not a single release from them has been cut abruptly including a couple of long runners and it's kind of weird people are acting like this is still a looming threat when there's no recent indication of it. Plus like some others have said it's not like Viz is alone in screwing over long runners, as Funi's done it with a couple of titles, and in a more recent example it's been a good 2 years since Sentai licensed season 3 of Phi Brain with them still saying nothing on a release, but hardly anyone makes a serious fuss over that.

I'm not saying people need to "get over" what happened to Monster because I'm still pretty bitter about that myself and am still fervently hoping it'll get rescued someday, but I think it's at least time to move on since it's been a lot longer since something like that happened than some are giving credit for.

Minor rant aside, the dub cast seems pretty promising and I'm looking forward to the release (hopefully it's not too much further out)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6