• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release Angelic Layer Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
Hmm. Angelic Layer is one of the few shows I didn't finish (that was at the start of my "I think I'll take a break from anime for several years" period). I might pick this one up. Does the show end at/in a decent place, or is it one of those "get the rest of the story in the manga" shows (which was a big part of my taking a break).

I had hoped that the Chuibyo 2nd season would be released in such a way that it would fit into the chipboard box with the 1st season (replacing the box filled with trinkets), similar to the way the Sailor Moon BluRay releases have been done by Viz. But it looks like it's getting it's own chipboard box instead. Oh well, I suppose it's worth the extra space on the shelf, although that's starting to be a concern.

Little Busters EX is an instant buy, of course.

My big disappointment of sentai dec releases is my love story not being in a CE. When they put out a video saying wait we arent doing part 1/2 release for this show I thought great that means they are going to put a more costly CE with the whole show but no... just a stander barebones blu ray. My love story in my opinion was way better than monthly girls but that crapy show got a hell of a release...
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite CLAMP works! Besides, y'know, Cardcaptor Sakura.

But shonen is my raison d'être, so this is really, really awesome!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Boom! Instant preorder for Angelic Layer BD; one of the best CLAMP anime adaptations and a studio BONES classic. I'll consider snagging up My Love Story later on but I need Angelic Layer since I never owned the ADV version.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
About time! Didn't want to shell out over $500 for the imported blu-ray set.

My thoughts exactly. You can actually get it for more like $370 + shipping from amazon.co.jp, so the price isn't quite $500 bad, but it's still ridiculously high, and I was not looking forward to paying that much to get it. I did download the Blu-ray version and watch it, but I'd like to own a legal copy of it on Blu-ray, and I would have assumed that it was far too old to get a US, Blu-ray release at this point, but it is CLAMP, so maybe that's why Sentai was willing to do it. Regardless, it's fantastic that they're releasing it.

stonehand wrote:
Does anyone know if this is a remaster, or did they take the old DVD masters and remix them to HD 720P? I would love to get the set, as I long ago sold my DVDs, but if the quality isn't a true HD, then I'm afraid it might look crappy on my HD TV setup.

If you really care about video quality, then you're going to want it on Blu-ray. It definitely looks better on Blu-ray than it does with the DVDs. But it definitely wasn't animated at HD quality. You're just getting a much cleaner version of an SD show that's been upscaled to HD. So, if you expect it to look as good as a more recent show, then you're going to be disappointed, but it's still a definite improvement over what you would have had otherwise.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
wastrel wrote:
Does the show end at/in a decent place, or is it one of those "get the rest of the story in the manga" shows (which was a big part of my taking a break).

The anime ends rather conclusively and satisfactorily from what I remember. I've never read the manga, but from what I remember hearing a long time ago there's some big differences between the anime and manga (and some were of the opinion that the anime was better).

The end of the anime was conclusive and satisfying. As for one of the changes, a character's motivations for doing something is changed drastically in the anime and it's for the better.

spoiler[Misaki's mother iirc in the manga just had to live elsewhere from Misaki because she couldn't handle how cute (?) Misaki was. Anime mother had some sort of disease gained over time that prevented the use of her legs. The mother left before she was unable to walk anymore and sought help from Iichan and a comment she made led to the creation of Angelic Layer. In the anime the system was originally meant to be able to control artificial limbs by thought. Angelic Layer became the stepping stool for that to become a reality (and earn funding in the process?).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

My big disappointment of sentai dec releases is my love story not being in a CE.

They are planning to release a CE later.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
CCTakato, yes, it will include the English dub. That was mentioned in the press release. The Sentai Selects DVD re-release last year also included the original English dub, so there's no reason not to put it on the BD too.
Sorry, my post had a typo in it. What I meant to ask was if the BDs would include the dub audio commentary tracks. The original DVD releases had commentaries with the dub VAs. I bought the ADV thinpack set years ago which stripped all the extras from it. If the BDs come with the commentaries, I'd be more tempted to double dip for it.

Quote:
and to CCTakato, Angelic Layer isn't really underrated. I guess if you're talking to newer generations, maybe. But it was extremely loved about 10-12 years ago when ADV released it.
It was certainly a big hit back in the day, but I feel like compared to most of Bones' other titles, I feel like it's not really talked about as fondly these days outside of maybe diehard CLAMP fans. Case in point, I love Angelic Layer a lot myself and even I almost forgot it was a Bones show until I saw this article.

Quote:
Does the show end at/in a decent place, or is it one of those "get the rest of the story in the manga" shows (which was a big part of my taking a break).
The anime has a conclusive ending and completely wraps up its storyline, but the anime made a number of significant adaptation changes to the manga source material, so the anime has a completely different ending from the manga. As a big fan of CLAMP, I personally feel like the Angelic Layer anime was a lot better than the manga, to be honest.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
@CCTakato

I confirmed with Section 23 that the release will have the dub commentaries. I asked for the same reason, as I also have the thin pack that stripped the extras out.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:

My big disappointment of sentai dec releases is my love story not being in a CE.

They are planning to release a CE later.

Oh thanks thats good news they need to be more public with these type of releases. Its weird they should of held off on putting the standard blu ray on sale when the CE was ready because its gonna piss some people off who don't dig deep on finding this type of info out on a show and they will loss a sell or a more pricey edition
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
On Saturday morning, I put this on the Fans of Monica Rial FB page. I wrote that "ANN posted that 'Sentai Filmworks to Release Angelic Layer Anime on Blu-ray Disc'. Monica was Tamayo in this show."
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting that Sentai feels that Angelic Layer still has value in today's market. I sincerely hope they're right. May be getting it myself if the PQ is up to snuff.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
stonehand wrote:
Does anyone know if this is a remaster, or did they take the old DVD masters and remix them to HD 720P? I would love to get the set, as I long ago sold my DVDs, but if the quality isn't a true HD, then I'm afraid it might look crappy on my HD TV setup.

The Japanese release was upscaled, as expected from an early digipaint show.

It's said to be one of the better looking releases though, see here.

Nice. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2