• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Where Did "My First Girlfriend is a Gal" Go Wrong?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I also found it funny that his voice actor changed in the middle of the series. It was most likely due to scheduling conflicts, but I just like to think that Cris George had enough and simply stopped voicing the character.

Minoru was recast right around the time Jill Harris mentioned on twitter that an actor recently had to be recast because he was offended by the content. I'm thinking that was Cris
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the anime tiddy is so big, ya girl just look pregnant.

That line was pure gold.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
@getchman: Seriously, while I am a fan service fan, that character made me uncomfortable.
NPC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
This "two people pretending to discuss something patting each other backs" format is rather pointless. If you have something to say, just say it.

I watched uncensored subbed version. It was entertaining enough. There are flaws but generally it was well spent time.
Quote:
Where Did "My First Girlfriend is a Gal" Go Wrong?

Nowhere. It was pretty much trashed in summer preview guide and ended up being a decent show. Weekly reviews were mostly B, community score around 3.8. This is for fanservice anime which had biased initial reviews, was ridiculously censored and included rather disturbing elements. Not bad at all.

Funimation decided to dub it, they know it will sell.
Quote:
After years of watching anime, I did in fact become "that guy."

You trying to make it sound ironic but this is exactly right. You did watch it, apparently for entertainment. Hypocrisy much?
Quote:
And that's not a bad setup. You think okay, this is the lead-in to him understanding that gals want to be treated with the respect you'd show any girl, and maybe he's gonna fall in love with this lady for who she is on the inside, while still indulging tons of fanservice along the way.

And this is exactly what happened. Did you really watch it?
Quote:
But NOPE. Every new storyline is just about piling on more women with progressively more massive chests while Junichi grumbles about how horny he is, how much he doesn't understand women, and gets jealous over every little thing.

Junichi having troubles understanding women is the basic premise of the show, without it there would be nothing. Complaining about "more women" in fanservice show is unreasonable to put it politely. Love story is not the point of this anime, this is fanservice comedy.

If this is your answer to "Where Did It Go Wrong", it is an epic fail.
Quote:
Buddy, how much time do you have?

Run time for 12 episodes is just above 4 hours. There is an option to drop it any moment, subscription makes it free. People who ignore anime based on reviews likely miss a lot of good stuff. Their loss.
Quote:
There's nothing this show attempts to do that you couldn't find done better in another show.

This can be said about 99% of new anime because you compare it with thousands of existing works. Completely pointless.

Also, "better" in this case is very subjective. Based on this "dialogue" I would be very careful accepting authors' recommendations about anything.
Quote:
Do you want a show about a gal and her friends? Watch Please tell me! Galko-chan! Do you want over-the-top horny boy antics? Watch Prison School! Do you want raunchy sex jokes mixed with social commentary? Watch SHIMONETA!

I saw and mostly liked them all but I will not watch them again for years, if ever! There are lots of new shows and thousands of old shows that I didn't see yet! This show is new and different! Easy choice! Ahhh, exclamation marks make everything better! Underrated!!!!

It is pointless to take a single element of show and recommend to watch show that did this one element "better" instead. Your recommendation must include all elements at once, otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges: "Do you want coffee? Eat sugar instead, it is sweeter!" No, thanks. I want coffee.
Quote:
This Week in Anime, we watched Galfriends so you don't have to.

It doesn't work even as a joke. You assuming that readers accept your opinion as fact, this assumption is wrong. Theron Martin gave it ~B, I'll trust his opinion over yours any day.

And there is a much better option. I can just watch an episode or two and decide myself what I think about it without any spoilers and preconceptions.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Sure that one character was god awful and pointless but aside from that I enjoyed it quite a bit. The show made me laugh so it succeeded at it's job.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 am Reply with quote
Gal isn't great, but it's not awful either. There's plenty worse out there. The manga is much better, focusing on the relationship with Junichi and Yame much more. Also the anime is only 10 episodes yet half are anime original content.

One thing that keeps bothering me is people saying "If you want Gals go watch Galko-chan". This is comparing Apples to Oranges, Galko-chan is a much different show, it's main focus is friendship and being yourself, Gal Girlfriend is a more Ecchi and about learning to love someone for what's on the inside while also being a teenager and coming to understand your sexuality and understand the opposite sex. They are two very different shows with different things and someone who liked Gal wouldn't necessarily like Galko because it's total different show.

Also I'm kinda annoyed with the style of this piece, As someone else said it comes across as two people just having a conversation instead of just straight up saying something in an editorial. This one was especially bad because it was just two people patting themselves on the back and trying to act all sophisticated "We knew this was a silly fanservice anime, PAH why would it be that good" It just comes off like your talking down to the show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Constantly cockblocks itselfs, literally cucks the main character for the "drama", and then just ends.

The main character did that himself when he for some reason thinks that his incredibly beautiful and understanding girlfriend just happens to be deceiving him so she can crush his little heart. He didn't have any trust and was convinced his girlfriend's behavior to be two-faced for absolutely no reason beyond she was with an old friend from middle school. Honestly, if that's how it plays out in the manga, then I'm pretty sure this is a problem of the source material, not an adaptation. That's just terrible writing.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
I decided to pick this show up because I thought "Eh. Might be a fun trashy ecchi romcom." Nope. After 4 eps I dropped this hard. Nene's chest was ridiculous even beyond anime physics standards. Protag was annoying but his friends were the worst. They are the main reason I dropped it. They weren't friends, just a buch of jealous, horny "I'll live vicariously through my friend" group. Apart from the lolicon which made it worse. I've seen trashy anime before and this belongs and the biggest dump and land fill possible.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
"Ummm, Ranko being in love with Yukana could've been a cool thread to follow if the show had actually done anything with it? That's all I got."

I don't agree. This series, from what I read in the manga, isn't going to follow the true harem route and have the guy with every single girl. It's going to follow the typical harem route: The girls like him but he is only going to develop his relationship/get character development/be with the main girl at the end. So her developing feelings is more for fanservice or a joke aboutspoiler[ how 'lesbians only need a good you know what to be straight and go for guys.' type of thing.]

I dropped the manga because it made me (who reads things like Boku girl and ecchi) uncomfortable. Me, who normally reads ecchi, uncomfortable. That's not counting the "harem" or "more than three girls and maybe a guy for fanservice likes this guy," that is so stale in ecchi and romance series now a days.

I rather see ecchi on the same level as Mousou.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Constantly cockblocks itselfs, literally cucks the main character for the "drama", and then just ends.

The main character did that himself when he for some reason thinks that his incredibly beautiful and understanding girlfriend just happens to be deceiving him so she can crush his little heart. He didn't have any trust and was convinced his girlfriend's behavior to be two-faced for absolutely no reason beyond she was with an old friend from middle school. Honestly, if that's how it plays out in the manga, then I'm pretty sure this is a problem of the source material, not an adaptation. That's just terrible writing.

It is terrible writing, but let's be fair here. Yukana started out his "analysis" of the guy by basically stating "well, at least you're not a complete uggo". (Not that directly, granted, but still....)

He also didn't accuse her of "cucking" him right off the bat. He basically said that she deserved someone better-looking than him at first, which made her upset. And then he saw them together after she had been snubbing and ignoring him for at least a whole day. Yeah, his reaction after she finally approached him was overblown and uncalled for, but let's not pretend that the cause of it was entirely his fault. And even beyond that, I have a very hard time believing that Yukana would snub the guy in the first place -- which isn't being "very understanding"; I mean, she even teased him for being jealous, which means she clearly understood the situtation -- but if she hadn't, we wouldn't have our scene where Junichi sees her with Mr. Hottie, which would mean his big jealousy outburst would never happen (at least not to that extent) and... well....

Let's also add to the equation that this is a guy who's constantly being called a virgin and made fun of for that fact, even by his close "friends". And we're supposed to be surprised that his self-esteem is shot to hell?

That said, I hated the last two episodes. It basically played out like a theatrical play where all the characters were controlled by strings to maximise stupid, stupid drama, and where everyone just coincidentally saw or heard just the right things to add to that. It's like a Murphy's Law of romance.
luigi-dude10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Why is no one mentioning the fact that Funi is injecting western political crap into their dub completely different from the original's dialogue? If your looking for wacky plots and fanservice Manyuu Hikenchou remains unlocalized, Sentai already got Seikon (boob sucking the anime). Hajimete no Gal didn't have much hype out of me considering it's runtime outed the crap visuals to come, but when escapist content like that is having a narrative edited into its dub I am immediately disgusted. It's bad enough sports, netflix, and hollywood are doing that crap... guess it was only a matter of time before they started doing it for anime...
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Why is no one mentioning the fact that Funi is injecting western political crap into their dub completely different from the original's dialogue? If your looking for wacky plots and fanservice Manyuu Hikenchou remains unlocalized, Sentai already got Seikon (boob sucking the anime). Hajimete no Gal didn't have much hype out of me considering it's runtime outed the crap visuals to come, but when escapist content like that is having a narrative edited into its dub I am immediately disgusted. It's bad enough sports, netflix, and hollywood are doing that crap... guess it was only a matter of time before they started doing it for anime...

I usually don't watch dubs, but one of my friends told me that Funi put political crap in the dub and that is been lots of fans complaining.
One thing is changing some words or expressions on the dialog so can been more in sync with the American audience but changing dialogs to push some agenda is crossing the line.

Most anime don't have political agendas with some exceptions.
In my opinion politics don't have place in anime. It should be a place everybody enjoys without the politics of real world.

Based on the sub, this show was fun to watch. Nothing amazing, but fun.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
luigi-dude10 wrote:

I usually don't watch dubs, but one of my friends told me that Funi put political crap in the dub and that is been lots of fans complaining.
One thing is changing some words or expressions on the dialog so can been more in sync with the American audience but changing dialogs to push some agenda is crossing the line.

Most anime don't have political agendas with some exceptions.
In my opinion politics don't have place in anime. It should be a place everybody enjoys without the politics of real world.

Based on the sub, this show was fun to watch. Nothing amazing, but fun.

It's Jamie Marchi. She's a great actress but every time she's a script writer you should avoid that dub like the plague (see Kobayashi, and now this mess).
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:
It's Jamie Marchi. She's a great actress but every time she's a script writer you should avoid that dub like the plague (see Kobayashi, and now this mess).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was confirmed that she's the scriptwriter for My First Girlfriend is a Gal. I hope you're not one of those people crediting her for the Prison School line. Also, not everything that's been said about the English dub of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is true.

Please open the link below and read it for context:
meikyoushisui wrote:
I have a few years of translation experience, here's the dialogue in question:

Tohru: 何ですか、その恰好は?
Lucoa: いつも言われるから、露出を抑えたんだ。どうかな?
Tohru: 次は体を変えるといいですよ。

The dub version is a little spiced up, but I don't think the original meaning of the second line is significantly changed, because of how that passive works in Japanese.

In Japanese, the word いわれる functions in a way that we have no analogue for in English. Like sure etymologically its the passive form of the verb "say," but that doesn't capture it very well because in English the passive of "say" makes the quotation the subject and the speaker the agent. In Japanese, this ends up having a connotation of being scolded or that some superior is making a demand. For example もうやめてくれないかと先生に言われた means "I was scolded by the teacher" in function.

It's a weird usage, and the sub that you believe is better has also lost a lot of this meaning.

The third line is definitely more questionable, but still given your claim that "Tohru remains critical of her over-the-top figure" the third line could certainly be read that way. It's possible it was intended to be semi-sarcastic, in which case the attitudes of the scene are remain the same, even though the words are different.

It was posted a little late and got buried. The original thread's poster even responded to the linked post, but never made any effort to correct and add nuance to the original thread. Rolling Eyes Said original poster now made a part 2 of the thread (this time for My First Girlfriend is a Gal) and so we have this mess.
NPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Why is no one mentioning the fact that Funi is injecting western political crap into their dub completely different from the original's dialogue?

Dub seems to be either still in progress or just not completely released yet. Initial reviews and this weird hit piece clearly based on subs - check the screenshots. Also I think two authors wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with mentioned western political crap, they probably would cheer it up.

I didn't see this dub, but generally such modifications are very annoying. It takes special kind of arrogance to butcher other people's work to "improve" it.

CR subtitles are fairly accurate. If you don't enjoy the dub, you can try switching. Letting Funi know your opinion might be helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3