• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why The Garden of Sinners is a Modern Classic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Its definitely old by anime standards. Everyone back then was racing to get HDTVs at the time. I watched all this on a 40 inch Sony trinitron block. From 2007-2011 Both release order and actual order. Watched all the hardcore fans come, go and argue about it . Zac was fresh from being done with answerman to starting Anncast when Kara no Kyokai first dropped. Smartphones were starting to become common.

I have never eaten so much strawberry haagendazs that product placement really worked. Bought a couple figures too. I could see how you could call it a classic, to me it was just movie quality fanfare from a then popular group that has not gone away since
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
Fantastic film series. No regrets on purchasing it blindly so many years ago. Best watched with a pint of Strawberry Häagen-Dazs!
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Definitely put me in the "modern classic" camp. KnK is so different from any other anime that I was enthralled even during the slower parts. The atmosphere and the gorgeous animation and OST were more than enough to carry the more dialogue-heavy scenes. It's not an easy watch by any means (I still have trouble watching more than one or two movies in a single sitting) but it's so rewarding at the end that every second is worth it. I can't say enough about it, and I'm glad it's getting more attention now. I had to import the blu ray from Japan (it's actually cheaper there than here), so it's nice seeing that it's finally available for legal streaming.

Blood- wrote:

You would almost definitely know better than I would, but I was under the impression that spoiler[she killed (or more accurately "he" killed somebody as SHIKI) before getting hit by a car and going into a coma?] Do I have that wrong?

Nope, spoiler[neither Shiki killed anyone before. They both had the desire to, but neither one found the right person or the right opportunity.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Fantastic film series. No regrets on purchasing it blindly so many years ago. Best watched with a pint of Strawberry Häagen-Dazs!

LOL ...and a bottle of Contrex french water
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
@ Videogamep - thanks for setting me straight on that point!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
One major flaw of these films is that they don't make it clear how the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception work. You need to read the Tsukihime VN for that.

Actually Tohno's eyes of death work differently from Ryougi's eyes of death.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
I hated the series when I first watched it, but with repeated re-watches I grew to like it. My biggest advice to everyone is to do two things:

-try to watch the movies in chronological order (using the wiki find the year each movie takes place in, and just re-arrange your viewing order to tackle them chronologically)

-and to fill in the gaps use the wiki (link already provided by a member earlier)

You'll get some hardcore fans yelling at you that watching the films chronologically ruins the experience of "mystery" - but in all honesty, you actually get a coherent story out of your viewing marathon. That's my advice lol.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
One major flaw of these films is that they don't make it clear how the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception work. You need to read the Tsukihime VN for that.

Actually Tohno's eyes of death work differently from Ryougi's eyes of death.

Well actually (lol) "it can be said she[Shiki] is several ranks higher than Shiki Tohno, who is pretty much her polar opposite. In fact, his personality is actually close to Mikiya Kokutou's".

@encrypted12345

"Shiki Ryougi specializes in killing concepts and visualizing "events" that stem directly from the Root.She is a Mystic Eyes of Death Perception user several ranks above Tohno.She is able to perceive the death of mostly anything, though it is limited to what she perceives as "alive." Something like a telephone is seen as "being alive because it's not broken", so she will not see lines on a broken telephone because she feels that it is "already dead."The notion only refers to her perception of "living" rather than if it has "life", so Kirie Fujou's ghosts can be killed even though they are "dead" because they are "living" in the sense that they can interfere with the current world."-fan wiki site,which used 'Tsukihime Dokuhon PlusPeriod' as a primary source.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice write up on the series. One of my all time favorites. Thank you.
MJKS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Exactly right Gabriella, across the board. I will say that one point you made which I hadn't thought of is that their romance has subversive implications for gender roles. But I agree that the narrative can support it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
The film certainly looks nice during the night time scenes. During the day, at least with the outside shots, I thought it looked pretty bad, there is something synthetic about the way it looks.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
You'll get some hardcore fans yelling at you that watching the films chronologically ruins the experience of "mystery" - but in all honesty, you actually get a coherent story out of your viewing marathon. That's my advice lol.

I don't see how watching it chronologically would give you a more coherent story since it is exactly the same content, only in different order. Sure, it might make it easier to process.
Then again messing with time has been a normal literary technique since Modernism and I don't know why someone would want to make it easier contrary to the intent of the author.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3