• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Polygon Pictures President Shuzo John Shiota

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Panoptican wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Because when someone offers you an interview, you don't derail it for a personal gripe. And this discussion has been had like 10,000,000 times already, so beating that dead horse is pointless. If you want to know why they do it, you can pretty much read it directly from the response "we don't want to turn people off who are used to the 2D look". Whether or not that makes sense or is successful is pretty irrelevant, but there is no sense is delving into it more, yet again...

The discussion has been had a million times among random anime fans. The chance of having the discussion with president of Polygon itself is a unique opportunity that has far more value than those other conversations.

It has literally been addressed by this same person. And like half a dozen other people who work for the company. Check out their social media accounts and other interviews. They are aware that some people don't like it. They are also under the probably reasonable assumption that many people do like it. Nothing we can do about it. I don't think it looks so bad, personally.

Basically, this. An interview is about finding new information and discussing new perspectives. He already mentioned in the interview why they cut the frame rate down, it's a part of their process in making it feel like a 2D anime. I personally already knew this and had no intentions of asking about it, but he offered that fact anyways.

An interview isn't the chance to deliver people's qualms directly to a creator, it's about finding out new valuable information. It would be a waste of time for me to say "Quite a few people don't like it", only for him to reply, "Okay. Yeah, I know." You won't get far in interviewing if you focus on "gotcha" questions over the sort of discussions that involves new information.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:

Basically, this. An interview is about finding new information and discussing new perspectives. He already mentioned in the interview why they cut the frame rate down, it's a part of their process in making it feel like a 2D anime. I personally already knew this and had no intentions of asking about it, but he offered that fact anyways.

An interview isn't the chance to deliver people's qualms directly to a creator, it's about finding out new valuable information. It would be a waste of time for me to say "Quite a few people don't like it", only for him to reply, "Okay. Yeah, I know." You won't get far in interviewing if you focus on "gotcha" questions over the sort of discussions that involves new information.

For me, it would be new information to know if they're aware of the criticism. Someone said it's been covered in other interviews and social media, so I'd be interested if anyone has a link to that.

Also, I've read and seen a bunch of interviews where criticism is brought up and discussed. And these aren't nobody interviewers who immediately get shafted. Hell, I threw an example in my initial post even. It doesn't have to be a gotcha. Just a discussion.

And if his answer was simply, "Okay. Yeah, I know." I would see that as a pretty disappointing answer, but at least I'd know.

EDIT: Sorry if I seem overly critical. I enjoyed the interview and the article. I was just disappointed that the one thing I wanted to know most is still left unknown. I already knew why they cut the frame rate, so that part was more of a confirmation. I'm just curious if they're aware of many fans who wish it wasn't done that way. I like Polygon anime, but at the same time I really wish that they'd change their frame rate and I'm not even sure if they're aware a lot of us don't like it.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
@TheCanipaEffect
I agree it's better to avoid being confrontational but at the same time, one can gently prod about the ways they stated they intend to "evolve". At least we can get an idea if they plan on doing anything different. They mentioned at least developing proprietary software, like as used on Godzilla, and it most certainly looks better than Fist of the Blue Sky, which to be honest looks and moves like utter shit.

But everything they're doing so far like with Maneki, has been with shaders or the rendering side and has not addressed at all the movement/animation. As far as I can see there's no automated solution to animation and the other studios still go about it in the traditional way, while still utilizing the flexibility of 3DCG.

@Panoptican
It isn't just the limited frame rate, though that's part of it. It's the timing and spacing and lack of modulation. It's why 2D hand animation on the same max on 2's (12 fps) actually moves better. IMO if they were to simply add lots of in betweens and let software do full interpolation then while the movement would be smooth, it would still be bad as if everyone were moving under water. It would be like the old non-Disney adult american cartoons several decades ago like Heavy Metal.

The last part after taking care of the movement by hand would be adding custom deformation again by hand. The problem I see is that he said they want to avoid that kind of manual work:
Quote:
Opposed to the likes of Sanzigen and Orange, who tend to make a model but resculpt it frame-by-frame, when we make a model, we try and make it look good from 360 degrees, rather than having to change it.

and that is only in reference to the shading/rendering. Animation is even more work. But this is the way ArcSys is able to get a completely 2D look out of pure 3D for their games too.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
"Plus there's this movement for the Castlevania kind of thing where anime tastes are opening fans up to American-ised or European-ised international storytelling."

My reaction to this can best be summed up by this article:

"This is essential too. They are trying to change the aesthetic of anime. They want anime to become edgy American cartoons for western hipsters because that’s how Netflix thinks most Americans see anime and that’s how they want to market it. They intend to essentially rob anime of its unique Japanese cultural heritage and replace it with Western cartoons that happen to be made by a Japanese staff. To them, anime is a product aimed at Westerners that sells itself as “Exotic animation from Japan” but make no mistake, the audience they care about is the Western one. They don’t want anime to be what it currently is, they want it to be what Westerners think it is (Or should be). If they have their way, Japan will just become one of those countries Western states outsource animation to for what is still essentially a Western production aimed at a Western audience."

Maybe a little dramatic, but I feel like there's this push from America to change anime and in more ways than one. I don't like this "Let big corporations handle everything" attitude that's being encouraged as "revolutionary" for the industry.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
"Plus there's this movement for the Castlevania kind of thing where anime tastes are opening fans up to American-ised or European-ised international storytelling."

My reaction to this can best be summed up by this article:

"This is essential too. They are trying to change the aesthetic of anime. They want anime to become edgy American cartoons for western hipsters because that’s how Netflix thinks most Americans see anime and that’s how they want to market it. They intend to essentially rob anime of its unique Japanese cultural heritage and replace it with Western cartoons that happen to be made by a Japanese staff. To them, anime is a product aimed at Westerners that sells itself as “Exotic animation from Japan” but make no mistake, the audience they care about is the Western one. They don’t want anime to be what it currently is, they want it to be what Westerners think it is (Or should be). If they have their way, Japan will just become one of those countries Western states outsource animation to for what is still essentially a Western production aimed at a Western audience."

Maybe a little dramatic, but I feel like there's this push from America to change anime and in more ways than one. I don't like this "Let big corporations handle everything" attitude that's being encouraged as "revolutionary" for the industry.

I don't think the author of this piece quite gets what Castlevania is. Castlevania is an American production influenced by 90s anime. Shiota referred to it as "so-called anime" because that's what it's trying to be, but many definitions mean it wouldn't count.

Netflix has a preference to the sort of shows they collaborate on, but they aren't the ones making these. These shows are being greenlit, put into production and then they collaborate with Netflix for the release. So the idea that "Netflix is coming for your anime" is fundamentally broken. Even if they were producing shows, they're one platform, not the whole industry.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:

I don't think the author of this piece quite gets what Castlevania is. Castlevania is an American production influenced by 90s anime. Shiota referred to it as "so-called anime" because that's what it's trying to be, but many definitions mean it wouldn't count.

Netflix has a preference to the sort of shows they collaborate on, but they aren't the ones making these. These shows are being greenlit, put into production and then they collaborate with Netflix for the release. So the idea that "Netflix is coming for your anime" is fundamentally broken. Even if they were producing shows, they're one platform, not the whole industry.

I agree. Netflix is not trying to change anime.

They are only co-producing animation made in Japanese studios, most of them original Net animation or original TV animation made by their partner studios. Also are series that if not Netflix it would be almost impossible to produce for the Japanese market.

Is my conviction Japanese animation (anime) will not change. Most companies in the industry including publishers don't really want to change the anime storytelling just because of some foreign company or audience. Their main market is Japan.

Some studios like Polygon Pictures on the article are happy because with Netflix money they can go full experimental and make animation for foreign markets that without Netflix would be impossible for the Japanese market.

So there will be Japanese animation (anime) as we know for the Japanese market and some "so-called anime" animation for Netflix and foreign markets.

There will be only changes if the Japanese audience start preferring the animation for Netflix and foreign markets over anime for Japanese market, but that is very unlikely.
marek1712

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Should've told them to put more frames in their shows.

Damn, I wanted to write this!
Godzilla was barely watchable. I tried Fist of the Blue Sky. No!
I played Doom 3 in 10fps on Celeron 1GHz. Don't feel like watching anime with that framerate...
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
The most eye opening aspect of this interview for me was learning how they keep managing to find work despite so many complaints about their productions. So they basically just became known as the studio with a connection to the deep pocketed Netflix from their work on Clone Wars and just as licensing fees for anime in North America began to skyrocket with Japanese anime production committees taking notice. Amazing how the success of these studios can be based on such happenstance.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
The most eye opening aspect of this interview for me was learning how they keep managing to find work despite so many complaints about their productions.

Like, I get what you mean, but the only people who are complaining significantly about their productions are petty non-fans. Almost no one in the industry is saying anything but praise about their work.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:
The most eye opening aspect of this interview for me was learning how they keep managing to find work despite so many complaints about their productions.

Like, I get what you mean, but the only people who are complaining significantly about their productions are petty non-fans. Almost no one in the industry is saying anything but praise about their work.

How can we be non-fans if we still watch their works? And I still bought Sentai's Knights of Sidonia and Ajin blurays despite the complaints I-we--just want them to do the material justice. It's not just us anonymous complainers but here in ANN's review:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2017-05-22/.116380
Quote:
It also doesn't try to make the show look more like traditional animation by drastically cutting down the frame rate, a mistake previous 3D anime have made.

Again, this is an ongoing criticism in spite of the overall recommendation

I will say again that they totally regressed on the quality with Fist of the Blue Sky. I understand they outsourced that one but they were responsible for the QA and design (and tech presumably to achieve at least the same look) and I can't believe he said it looked pretty good to him in the interview. I'm not too keen on the Fist of the North Star franchise so I'm not personally as disappointed for this title.

Luckily they aren't the only 3D studio in town and they have competition who are taking different approaches. They even admitted that in the article. I just hope other titles go to these other studios.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

Saying only non-fans are complaining is kind of redundant isn’t it? The people that are disappointed by and critical of Polygon Pictures’ productions are by definition not fans of them. It’s more the lack of fans and seemingly universal panning of their shows owed mainly to the animation and dull color palate, that I was refering to. Also, not sure what qualifies all of the negative reaction to their shows as “petty”, or what could potentially qualify them as legitimate in your eyes.

Again, I just found it interesting to learn that their relationship with Netflix is so widely known to anime production committees and seems to result in the studio getting hired in spite of what seems to be overwhelmingly negative reception to their shows. I know Production IG also has been getting projects lately because of their reputation for collaborating with Western focused projects like IGPX, Halo Legends, Batman etc
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Because there are NOT overwhelmingly negative receptions to their stuff. At the very worst, some of them are middling. And it's not usually about the animation being bad either.

Maybe non-fans was the wrong word. But your(noblesse's) comment makes it sound like their work is universally despised for it's poor quality. It's not. Almost all of the complaints are from a fairly small minority of the fandom(and that includes western reviewers for a site like ANN).
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Because there are NOT overwhelmingly negative receptions to their stuff. At the very worst, some of them are middling. And it's not usually about the animation being bad either.

Maybe non-fans was the wrong word. But your(noblesse's) comment makes it sound like their work is universally despised for it's poor quality. It's not. Almost all of the complaints are from a fairly small minority of the fandom(and that includes western reviewers for a site like ANN).

Clearly the reactions to the show we’ve been exposed to have been vastly different. My perspective is informed by the reactions I’ve been exposed to, which are consitently negative with similar criticisms, mostly casual fans of anime and people who have Netflix accounts. Comments on articles about those shows, and twitter reactions to them. Stuff like that seems universally negative. I’m not discounting your experience of positive reactions to the shows, it’s just not something I’ve seen or heard myself online or in person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2