• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gun Sword.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished watching this series and am really glad I gave it a second chance. The first thing that came to mind today is the fact that this series is the best super robot series out there since Giant Robo. The last 10 years have been very hard for Super Robot series. Gun Sword does the honor of having the gatai combo robot in the 70s, the spiky heavy military looking mecha from the 80s and the sleek Eva looking super robot from the 90s fight alongside each other. If anything this reminded me of the Super Robot Wars games. The super robot genre was aching for this series since most of the other series in the sub-genre were lacking.

I also love how the individual characters are introduced in the first half and band together in the second. Something about this reminded me of Heat Guy J, another show that I am sad doesn't get the recognition I think it deserves.

The other aspect of this series that I like are all the special endings for the episodes. It gave the episodes a unique feel, and upon reflecting on the series there didn't seem to be as many filler episodes as I thought there would be in a series like this.

Another thing about the series which I thought was neat was the lack of sound in space. Some shows decide to completely cut off all sounds which is dramatic for a couple minutes but would get boring in extended periods. Gun Sword takes into account that physical attacks would be heard inside the interiors of the mecha which gives the effect of sound traveling only when there is physical contact. This is great since people are always using the "lack of dramatic sound" as an excuse for sound in a vacuum.

Have I mentioned that my favorite seiyuu is Kuwashima Houko? It is so odd switching between her role as Wendy and the more older and serious role she plays on the first Simoun DVD. I've been a big fan of hers since I first saw Blue Gender (Marlene Angel/credits songs) and am always amazed at her range.

Gun Sword is a must see for Super Robot fans. The design works are really great and the series moves along at a nice pace. The music is also top notch (I love the taiko drums and Japanese flutes in the OP) and the audio is mixed in 5.1.
Brianccanada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Any one have opinion of the series Gun X Sword other than that this show is a combination of a lot of successful elements in anime?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Brianccanada wrote:
Any one have opinion of the series Gun X Sword other than that this show is a combination of a lot of successful elements in anime?

Not really. I mean, once you strip away all of the cliches there's nothing left. That's not say that's a bad thing, it just means that they've been masterful at putting together the best elements into a one story. I guess there's the character/mecha designs, there's a plethora of interesting characters and how could anyone not love the idea of giant robots that turn into giant weapons?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brianccanada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys for all your comments. Really appreciate that.

Will consider these pointers to decide whether to get it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3