• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit's 2020 Anime Awards Crowns Sarazanmai, Hugtto Precure, Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
And this is why you don't want The Anime Awards to be entirely judge voted like people said in that thread. Aikatsu, Precure, Hulaing Babies... I'm guessing this Reddit jury was made up entirely of few teenage girls.

All of these shows target younger than teenagers. The actual target audience of these shows is too young to be online, pretty much. There's a significant interest (at least in Aikatsu and Precure) from adults as well, because the stories are usually well thought out and impactful even if they're aimed at little kids. They cover some pretty serious topics from time to time. Hugtto Precure included things like breaking gender stereotypes, a character who appeared to be a bit autistic and outcast as a result finding someone to relate with through music, and the surviving spouse of a dead main character going back in time to stalk her middle school aged version because he couldn't bear to live without her. And with the exception of that last one (a little complicated to explain to kids so they just dropped a lot of hints) they didn't water it down much. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't mean it can't have a great story.

Precure has also been around a long time. There are kids who watched it when they were the target audience who are now grown up and have their own kids.

You only have to look as far as Pokemon and Digimon to see equivalents in stuff that's been translated to English. Those are aimed at kids but there's quite a lot of adults who watch the shows and play the games. (There's always lots of adults participating at the Pokemon TCG events when I take my son to them)
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Say what you want, but it seems a lot more fresh and unpredictable than Crunchyrolls awards.

It sure is. I don't know why you'd want an awards show to be fresh and unpredictable though.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:32 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
It sure is. I don't know why you'd want an awards show to be fresh and unpredictable though.

To call attention to interesting works the public didn't take notice of, presumably. That being said, the "public" results on this list are all extremely predictable, especially with Reddit as part of the equation.

Meanwhile, the "Jury" panel is... mostly fans of cute-girl shows, apparently. Nothing wrong with that, but the results say more about their tastes than about what's worth watching. (Which is kinda always the case with these things, really.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
Makes the Oscars look more unpredictable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2