• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Dress-Up Darling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3... oh boy.

I'm guessing the series is written by a cosplayer but I'm asking how a girl who buys everything premade already... including as of episode 3, cosplay accessories from a cosplay store...
No, this show has to be trolling me because on top of the "Easy to Cosplay" book she gives to Gojo in episode 2, she also brings him to the store she knows about in episode 3.
Why the **** can't she do this on her own?! She made one half hearted attempt at starting an outfit... and then gave up? Yet she knows all these things avid cosplayers know?

I don't like this series. The premise needed a third person the bridge the neophyte cosplayer gap. Also, it's been three episodes and so far the show's spent more time saying who she's not than who she is. I think it's to give Gojo and the audience enough information to get the wrong idea about her... "Oh, she's flush with cash, I wonder what she does for it!"... but it's not making an effort to make me like her as person. Rather, it just goes "she's hot, you like her. Look, she's flashing her panties and garter belt combo at him now!" That's quality character development, right there.

I wonder if all this isekai anime has had a detrimental effect on anime; Gojo seems well defined but Marin doesn't seem to exist as a person prior to meeting the protagonist. On top of that, they don't know where and how to get in all the exposition they need in order to move this two character premise along...
... random lady in the crowd with an internal monologue is going to be a cosplayer at the function in two weeks and if that's true, this show hates me as much as I hate it. She's going the be the bridge and it's going to be late because then we'll back to the plot of "improving her cosplay" which is something I didn't want.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:08 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
I don't like this series.

And yet you continue to watch it. Why?? It is not like you are a reviewer, getting paid to watch it. Life is too short to waste watching shows you doesn't like. Me, I like the show a great deal. I disagree that Marin is inadequately developed but you are entitled to your opinion.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
2 weeks is a very short time to be thrown onto him as a time imit.

I'm wondering whether Gojo's attention to Marin's costume is going to take away his attention from the hina dolls (and, oh yes, homework, etc.). Still it doesn't seem like those dolls are flying off the shelves so maybe it's not a very demanding job.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 3 a lot more than episode 2. It was fun watching the pair chose what stuff to buy. I'm looking forward to meeting the other cosplayers, too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I just started this one last night.

Doll-making AND cosplay!? Two of my favorite things!? Yup, all over it. Mr. Green

Oh goodness, Marin's sewing is really bad xD But you know...sewing machines and I REALLY don't get along. I sew all my cosplay by HAND....(and yes it does take a very long time to do). But I just feel way more in control. I've been complimented on how neat my hand-stitching is. So that makes me happy.

So...Gojo talks to his dolls. It's ok, buddy. I talk to my dolls too....as long as nobody else is around. Excluding the other doll club members who also talk to their dolls. Laughing

Quote:
Marin painted her toenails to match her eyes. Why is she having problems cosplaying again?

....bruh. Confused They're apples and oranges. They have nothing to do with each other. Almost all girls can paint their own nails. It's not hard. Cosplay-crafting is an art and takes skill, patience, time, and money. This is like asking "If a child can color with a crayon, shouldn't she be able to paint like Leonardo DaVinci?"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
And yet another anime episode whose primary conflict could have been avoided by half a sentence of communication.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio

Absent or misunderstood communication is a plot point that is present in much if not most romantic fiction. Actually, it is fairly common in real life.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Shitting is also very common in real life. I'll pass on the anime adaptation.

You're not wrong about its commonness. There are a lot of common tropes that cause me to roll my eyes, though. There's so much space in romance and relationships that goes completely unexplored. I feel like we have yet to see an obstacle that isn't "hey, kid, you need to stop getting in your own head about the attractive girl who wants to interact with you," and we've seen nothing about Marin's perspective on the relationship other than she's interested in cosplay and is less dismissive of his interests than he's used to. People get mad at calling this manic pixie dream girl, but it still seems like the textbook case to me.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty ambivalent about this. On the one hand, the drama feels kind of manufactured and dull, in that it came from a trivial, hackneyed miscommunication -- but, on the other, I don't have trouble at all imagining Gojo reacting this way. Marin is basically his first sort-of friend, as well as a woman he's obviously very attracted to; it is very easy to imagine him blowing a brief conversation with her about an event in a few weeks up into a melodramatic 2 week death march like this, and to even see it as a good thing, given how easily and quickly he is becoming attached to her. Still, I'm not sure it being natural makes it ideal writing; I agree with Yttrbio that there are probably more novel, interesting angles to take on his lack of experience having a friend (or a romantic interest), and how this might play out poorly sometimes. I also definitely agree that Marin still feels deeply underexplored, and until we get some more serious exploration of who she is as a person, MPDG still feels like an appropriate label.

Still, I thought the episode was a well-executed version of an old trope, and it mostly kept my interest throughout. I think the sole exception was Marin turning on the waterworks when she realized what had happened to Gojo; I mean -- I can certainly imagine some people I've known who would react like that, but it felt melodramatic and ... actually kind've thoughtless, I guess? It flipped a situation where Gojo was downright bedraggled and could've used some comforting words into one where he was alarmed and felt like he needed to support her, instead; which, I mean, I guess that sort of snapped him out of his funk slightly, but just didn't feel right. (Which is not to say the situation is primarily Marin's fault; I think Gojo's more to blame for the miscommunication than she is, although she shares a non-negligible bit of it.)
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
4:

I swear, Gojo's side job is going to give his gramps a heart attack someday.

Gojo feeling overwhelmed by his situation may be the result of circumstances, but we know that's not what the show's getting at. We already got the idea that he can be a doormat, or putting it nicely, giving in to others if it's for the "greater good". Kitagawa doesn't like it and spoke to him about it before, but ironically he was in a bad place because of her too.

People like Gojo tend to get burnt out because one, they don't want to―maybe even afraid of―letting people down, and two, they are afraid to recognize which is more important to them. All of them are, so the expected result is all too familiar: they're afraid to say no. Usually people think that introverts are more prone to this, but in truth, it's just as much an issue for extroverts too. It really comes down to their personalities and past experiences.

Gojo realizes the common mantra: why work so hard over something. And of course, it's for the people who will appreciate and recognize their hard work. And by "work", it definitely applies to worklife in general too. How common is it that people just quit their jobs because of lack of recognition? Too common. But I digress.

As for the show, I admit it's nothing groundbreaking as far as rom-com is concerned. But I like how it knows when to takes seriously or be light-hearted. Too many rom-coms out there end up becoming too frivolous, and that's how I end up disliking the genre altogether. Not this one, it's doing a pretty decent job at making me like the pair.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:48 am Reply with quote
5:

Boob sweat puddle.

Show being too indulgent and had way too much fun with the sweat. I don't really care about such things; probably I'm too old for it. Everything else, I'm cool. I just like seeing Gojo and Kitagawa together. They make me feel fuzzy inside.

Kitagawa's "huh" at the end, now that's adorable.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
....bruh. Confused They're apples and oranges. They have nothing to do with each other. Almost all girls can paint their own nails. It's not hard. Cosplay-crafting is an art and takes skill, patience, time, and money. This is like asking "If a child can color with a crayon, shouldn't she be able to paint like Leonardo DaVinci?"

So you're saying if Marin has skill, patience, time and money, she should be able to cosplay? We agree on that then. My point was Marin coordinated the color, not that she painted her nails in the first place. She was able to pick out the exact shade so she knew the look she was aiming for. Things she could do for her cosplay doesn't apply to her if it's things that they can fit Gojo.... like fake eyelashes of all things or even odder, bringing along items to cool her off. Between the two of them, they did it before apparently. This is where a mentor figure would have fit, it worked in Genshiken but I guess story structure is too much to ask for here.

And here's where I'm done with this mess: Marin being concerned about Gojo over the time of his grandfather's accident, the tests and the dress and chiding him for not calling her after they exchanged contact info.

Hey Marin.... why didn't you call him? This is the first rom com where I can point at the female lead and definitely say "I don't like her." I am not distracted by the sexy, I'm just looking at her and I find her character lacking. Not that she has one... why did she keep shaking her boobs at Gojo?

"It's probably because this is the best boob bag here."

No, why at him.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So you're saying if Marin has skill, patience, time and money, she should be able to cosplay? We agree on that then. My point was Marin coordinated the color, not that she painted her nails in the first place. She was able to pick out the exact shade so she knew the look she was aiming for.

...I think you're reading WAY too far into it. Remember the manga is black and white so getting hung up on her nail color matching her eyes is totally pointless if you're trying to apply it to the narrative. Also pink is one of the most popular colors for nail polish out there...if there are color images of her wearing it in the manga, the author is simply drawing 'what looks good'. No deep thought was put into this aesthetic choice. Deep thoughts rarely are. Marin is a gal, she'd do trendy things like paint her nails. Pink looks good with her hair color. And done.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
She was able to pick out the exact shade so she knew the look she was aiming for.

Well, she's not color blind and she can look in a mirror. If you want to pick colors that match, that's all anyone needs. oO Totally not seeing your point here.

Nor do I understand your question. Did you want her to be going around to strangers demonstrating how she had the best boob bag there? Who else would she reasonably aim her expression of delight at the wonderfulness of her outfit but the guy who created it?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Hey Marin.... why didn't you call him? This is the first rom com where I can point at the female lead and definitely say "I don't like her."

Interesting that Marin Kitagawa would be disliked compared to the awful due to her cruelty and emotional abuse Hayase Nagatoro from Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro or Kyouko Hori with her creepy and disturbing violence/abuse fetish from Horimiya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5