• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Globalization of Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:00 am Reply with quote
Im curious about the views here everyone has about anime vs animation. I’ve been a fan of some US animation that’s cropped up lately, like The Dragon Prince, Castlevania, and Invincible. I also just started RWBY that is on CR and is deliberately anime styled (really enjoying it btw). And then I see an article that China is moving into the market and Korea has hanguk aeni as well.

I was a huge action and horror import fan for several years and remember when Japan blew the lid off horror and then Korean horror came along and arguably did even better. It was all part of the globalization of an entertainment genre and I think it helped the market (because US horror and action has been mostly crap for a few decades).

So I’m wondering if anime is evolving in this direction as well. First it spread, then it’s copied and finally adopted as a global medium that everyone does. Or is Anime just Japanese and anyone else doing animation will remain something else? Love to hear back on this. Any great works that the site would consider anime from non-Japanese sources? What’s fair game? Where do you think it’s headed?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not an ideal responder for this thread because I'm pretty much an anime only viewer, so I am not super conversant with other forms of animation (except for animated family films). Chinese "anime" style shows seem to be getting better. I watched a few in the past and they were pretty bad but then more recently I checked out some of Bureau of Paranormal Investigation and it wasn't too bad. Certainly better than earlier offerings.

I'm not a purist who refuses to consider shows made outside the Japanese system to be "anime." What makes something anime is a bit hard to define but we tend to know it when we see it. So, like the aforementioned Bureau, it may be a Chinese made show, but I consider it anime. I have to admit, however, that I don't find Mandarin (I assume that is what is being spoken) as easy on the ear as Japanese so I like when Chinese anime at least has Japanese audio.

I still haven't watched yet (even though I own it) but I think Avatar: The Last Airbender is a classic example of Western animation that has a real anime feel to it. Somebody who has actually seen it would obviously be in a better position to comment. I did see a few episodes of the Legend of Korra and it seemed pretty good. I saw the first season of Castlevania and a chunk of the second but it's not rocking my world, I have to admit. It looks beautiful, for sure. I should go back to it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
What I've always found interesting is that Japan pretty much uses the word anime as a blanket term for animation regardless of where it's made. It's pretty much just a Western thing to separate the two words. As someone who's been collecting the Japanese magazine Newtype for over 30 years, I've seen Disney animated films being referred to as "Disney anime". They also referred to the 2000 animated film Titan A.E. as Fox anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that before: that anime simply means animation. I think the term Japanimation was sometimes used to describe animation made in Japan but it obviously never caught on in any kind of permanent or widespread way. Anime is certainly punchier.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
@InfiniteJest

On the top blue bar above, click on Encyclopedia, on the right hand column of the drop down, click on the word Lexicon, on the page that reveals, in the left most column click on the word anime for an article on the subject.

Bottom line:
Quote:
According to Anime News Network publisher, Christopher Macdonald, "On Anime News Network, we define anime based on the origin of the animation. If it is primarily produced in Japan, it is anime. It should be clear, that by adhering to a definition that defines non-Japanese animation that mimic common anime styles as 'not anime,' Anime News Network does not endorse the notion that these 'anime-style' works are in any way inferior to animation produced in Japan. "

For myself, I like anime because it is Japanese. It comes from a different culture, and is based on different habits and styles. As such, I'm not very interested in animation from other countries, anime like or not. Basically I want animation intended for a Japanese audience with the art and story direction from Japanese people.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah thanks Alan45 I did. Search but am still learning the navigation for the site. Appreciate it. And that lexicon is great I had been googling myself silly!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1