• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Zeta

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylec

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure several people have asked this before, but any word on if zeta is coming to the U.S. or not? This is one show I'd really like to see over here, and it'd be nice to have V, F-91, ZZ, and even the SD stuff done here too (SD being released after all the others, so that we know what it's cracking on).
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:42 pm Reply with quote
No news about it but I'm sure Bandai will release it eventually. Besides, I don't think they would wanna release it right now while they're already trying to promote G Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I have heard from several places that Bandai is planning to release all of the Gundam related shows in the US, so if that's true Zeta should get released eventually. I think it's odd that they decided to release G Gundam instead of Zeta. I mean, they are releasing Char's Counterattack now. It would have made sense to release Zeta and ZZ. Maybe they liked the idea of all the toys they could market with G Gundam Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Kaylec wrote:

I'm sure several people have asked this before, but any word on if zeta is coming to the U.S. or not?

That is the single question Bandai is asked more than any other.

And their answer is always "Yes, but don't ask when because we aren't saying yet."

In fact Jerry Chu has taken to the habit of repeating that answer just Q&A session at most conventions, he knows that if he doesn't say it, someone will ask.
Kaylec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:05 am Reply with quote
as long as I know it's definitely coming out here I can wait, I do have patience. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go with the hong kong subs, wasn't looking forward to that.
RoundTop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:35 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Z Gundam I had a chance to talk to Jerry Chu at Sakura-con 2002 as well as discussions with various other people.

The reason that they are releasing CCA first is a) it is a movie and can be released theatrically, b) the animation quality is better, and c) getting ahold of GOOD copies of Z master tapes is HARD, even for Bandai.

Also, the classic Gundam series on cartoon network did not do as well as they had hoped. With G Gundam coming and CCA coming out it hopefully will get people interested.

A couple of other things... if you haven't seen Z Gundam... it is VERY VERY depressing and dark..and at over 50 episodes it takes a long time to get out of the depression and into ZZ. Also, once you show Z you HAVE to show ZZ as they are essencially 1 show. That means a commitment of over 100 episodes.

PS: I spent 8h watching Z and after that I felt like crap... VERY depressing stuff...good, but depressing.

-RoundTop
Vancouver Japanese Animation Society
Sakura-Con staff 2002/2003
HothJedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'd heard the same thing - that is was postponed because Mobile Suit Gundam wasn't as widely accepted as Gundam Wing. That's why they are showing G-Gundam first - because it is more like Wing (alternate universe and stuff).
Kaine23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I've got the 1st 14 episodes of Gundam Zeta on cd, and it really is a dark and depressing series, but very good otherwise.

Anyone got a copy or know where I can get, of the Gundam Zeta logo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:14 am Reply with quote
You know, the fact that they (Bandai) chose to back another Alternate Timeline series doesn't surprise me. The fact that they chose G, of all things, does. I agree, Zeta is moody, dark, depressing and as grand a spectacle as UC Gundam gets, but the older UC is not turning out to be as profitable as Bandai hoped. It seems to ebb with the series. 0083 and 08th MS Team were big successes, while 0080 and 0079 were near or total flops. (I have to admit, though, that Toonami botched the marketing of 0080, they were about 6 episodes into it when I found out it was even on at midnight.) Zeta has a chance, but right now Bandai needs another cash cow to justify the huge investment involved with Gundam. Enter G....

Wait a minute.....G?!?!?

G was, by all accounts, a mistake when it was released. The logic behind it was flawed, to start. (Here, let's take the marquee series that was created as backlash against all of the big robot shows of its era and then turn it into a farce about those shows. What?) Plus, its animation is no more out of date than anything UC excluding 08th. To me, it would have made more sense to have brought over Gundam X. Yes, it's an equally flawed series with entirely forgettable characters and the plotline is the bastard (can I say that?) child of every single Gundam series before it. But, from a marketing standpoint, its stellar soundtrack (check the opening theme out) and wild mecha design (which makes for desirable mecha to kit, you know) give it a better reason to be here than G.
(I would like to point out at this point that this is not intended to be an endorsment for Gundam X.)

So, yes, we should get Zeta and ZZ, soon I hope. But Bandai should realize that they bet on the wrong horse to pull them out of the daytime TV doldrums.
HothJedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:18 pm Reply with quote
CR, I agree with all of that.

X would have been a much better Alternate story to bring over. I haven't even seen any of G yet, but it looks bad and the plot sounds ridiculous compared to other Gundam series. I've seen a little of X and while it was also bad, it would have been a better choice.

0080 had a great story, but you're right, it was botched by CN (and I think some of it was cut as well, but I don't remember). The UC stories don't exactly draw the same crowd Wing did, but I think it is also partially CN's fault for advertising it poorly - I think more could have been done to show the link between all of the UC stories (MSG, 0080, 0083, and 08th team). A lot of Wing fans saw MSG, saw the lesser animation quality and music, and bypassed it. It didn't help that CN cancelled it before its run was finished either.

Hopefully Char's Counterattack will be well done on CN, and that will make them want to bring in zeta and ZZ.
RoundTop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I disagree...

G Gundam was their best choice.

Gundam X requires that you know about newtypes, etc... meaning you had to have seen some if not all of the original gundam (0079). It is an alternate ending as opposed to the Z->ZZ-CCA timeline.

G Gundam is a good choice for a few reasons... it is "multicultural", the music is good, it is very episodic in nature (meaning that missing 1 ep is not nessisarily the end of the world [with some exceptions]), it has several model possibilities (that are already being sold), and appeals to a younger audience (say...10-16 rather than 16-20+). This is more likely to get it a regular TV spot than just Adult Swim.
Kaine23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:31 pm Reply with quote
MSG did badly cause people who got into Wing thought it was just like it and got disappointed that it was older and had nothing to do with Wing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Case

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kaylec wrote:

I'm sure several people have asked this before, but any word on if zeta is coming to the U.S. or not? This is one show I'd really like to see over here, and it'd be nice to have V, F-91, ZZ, and even the SD stuff done here too (SD being released after all the others, so that we know what it's cracking on).

Just announced at AXNY 2002:

"Bandai also confirmed that English translation of the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam TV series is now underway."

Source: http://www.animenation.net/news/index.php?id=3985

RoundTop wrote:

Frankly, I disagree...

G Gundam was their best choice.

Agreed. I think MSGD's first run on Cartoon Network pretty well showed that people aren't quite ready for immersion into the classic Gundam universe yet. Bandai has come up with an awesome strategy in alternating the newer series with the classics. And at the very least, it is better to see them bring it over steadily like this than to hesitate and leave it in limbo forever like so many other big name titles.
MattOverYou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Business sense would have been to pick your best show and play enough consequatively to gather a following, play the ones that'll carry the popularity on, and then hit with your very best so that there will be more interest then there would have been otherwise. Its all fine they want money now but if they plan to release them all it would have been simplest to have them all planned over for the most long term money.
DigiNeoX20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Also the people at mahq.net said that if Z Gundam were to be released, that Gundam ZZ were to surely follow after. Being that ZZ would be the sequel of Z
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1