• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kekkaishi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I got pretty close to tearing up at the last episode just because I've been looking forward to it so much. Definitely could go either way with a new season...I'd kind of like to see one where they're a bit older, and then maybe spoiler[their romance could be developed a little more.]
anyways, this show is one of the best shounen I've seen because of its concise nature and well-developed plotline, not to mention memorable characters. I STILL have this creepy feeling about spoiler[Masamori. He's too smart for his own good. I still feel like he could betray his family at some point. Oh well].

It's over Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting Ohoni, so Tokine wasn't in the manga but I wouldn't have known a difference since the with. . .

Well, the manga was exactly the same, except that spoiler[everything that went on in Kokubourou with Tokine just wasn't there. For example, Masamori was attacking the field from the outside, then Kagemiya stabs him in the head, and the Zekkai breaks. Tokine was, at the time, outside with granny, helping to keep the tunnel intact while granny yanked them out. The scene after they get back is straight out of the manga. The only other difference was the epilogue back at the school, which didn't happen at all.]

I can totally see why they did it this way though, because while the manga continues on as usual, it would have been a bit lame for Tokine to play almost no part in the anime's finale, and in retrospect it actually worked a lot better dramatically.

As for romantic tension, I'm fine with it as is. They're both very young, he's a couple years younger than her, there's no obvious infatuation on her part either. The problem with Inuyasha was that they were so totally made for each other, both totally into it, and yet they flat out refused to behave like human beings and act on it. this is more a case of letting nature take its course.

Any word on a season 2? I imagine there will be one eventually, the manga's popular enough, and the second DS game just came out (fun, but a bit frustrating). Overall I rank this series as one of my favorites, above Naruto and Bleach, probably not ahead of One Piece, I just think it's very clever and has a lot of heart. Also, it's one of the best translations from manga to anime, with very little cut, very little fill, very little stretch, and any changes they made were at least neutral, if not improvements to the original version.

Quote:
But I've noticed that Kanda isn't anywhere in it! Anime cry So does that mean she's an anime only character then? Too bad if she is because I really like her, even if she's had like, nothing to do with anything that's going on.......

She's in the manga. If I remember correctly they juggled the ordering of some of the earlier episodes/chapters in the conversion. She'll pop up in the manga eventually though.

Quote:
I'm gonna catch up on some Kekkaishi tonight and watch the last 3 eps, I just wish they could of cut out the 10+ episodes that they wasted on him hangin out with the baker and spent it on this arc, but o well whats in the past is there

They did the arc justice. Anything more would have been stretching, they certainly didn't cut or speed up anything. Then in the manga there are several "filler" chapters about of the level of the ghost one you didn't like, and only around 15 chapters later do they arive at an arc that is anywhere near as strong as this one (and even then it's not AS strong), so this is definitely the best place to cut off the series, if they had to cut it off anywhere. It's definitely no Flame of Recca ending.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Overall I rank this series as one of my favorites, above Naruto and Bleach, probably not ahead of One Piece, I just think it's very clever and has a lot of heart.

As far as shounen goes anyways, I'd personally say FMA (by FAR the best shounen series ever Wink ) Naruto, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Hikaru no Go, Rurouni Kenshin, and Shaman King are all above it. It indeed is a very clever series and has a lot of heart, that's for sure, I just think that above mentioned series all either have just as much heart and cleverness or more so heart and cleverness than Kekkaishi does.

Quote:
But I've noticed that Kanda isn't anywhere in it! Anime cry So does that mean she's an anime only character then? Too bad if she is because I really like her, even if she's had like, nothing to do with anything that's going on.......

She's in the manga. If I remember correctly they juggled the ordering of some of the earlier episodes/chapters in the conversion. She'll pop up in the manga eventually though.[/quote]

Okay, good then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I also remember finding vol. 8 at borders a few weeks ago and she wasn't in that either when I skimmed through it. I guess she's in there, just not as much as in the anime. But despite the fact that she really hasn't done anything so far in the anime, I can tell she's at least going to play a big part in it anyways. At least in the manga anyways. The anime doesn't look like it has enough episodes left to include her in any big way.

With that said though, 43 and 44 were just epic! Cool I didn't want to stop watching for how exciting things were getting, but I unfortunately had too.... Sad Things are really starting to heat up in spoiler[this whole battle for Karasumori, and also with Yoshi going to Kokoborou as well.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Okay, good then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I also remember finding vol. 8 at borders a few weeks ago and she wasn't in that either when I skimmed through it. I guess she's in there, just not as much as in the anime. But despite the fact that she really hasn't done anything so far in the anime, I can tell she's at least going to play a big part in it anyways. At least in the manga anyways. The anime doesn't look like it has enough episodes left to include her in any big way.

Well, she'sspoiler[ never more than a supporting character. She tends to only appear in "slice of life" episodes to play comedically off of Yoshimori's antics, rather than participating in the more active adventure episodes. I think she appears as much in the manga as in the anime, but in both cases entire volumes/dozens of episodes can go by without one that would really highlight her.]
Elisian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I just had to say that I really liked what I saw of this show. Very Happy
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the series, for anyone that still cares. Wink

I'm with those saying that it could go either way, whether or not we see another season or sequel or whatever, but that it also ended satisfyingly enough. I look at it this way: at least it didn't have an Inuyasha-like ending. Wink

I also have to say, in hearing about how spoiler[Tokine wasn't a factor in this arc in the manga, I'm really glad she was here and I can honestly already say I prefer it to the manga (wow, total shock! Shocked ). Of course I'm all about drama myself and it sure as heck made for some great drama, but it also from a plot point of view made a lot of sense as well.

Of course the whole sequence between Yoshi and Kaguro just overflowed with awesomeness (especially learning more about Kaguro's past Cool ) but I think my favorite part of some of those final few episdoes had to have been either Aihi's backstory or the backstory between Heisuke and Byaku (plus in the final episode the whole story behing Heisuke and the fox demon as well). After all that I was quite saddened, and frankly quite disappointed that everyone else except Aihi and Heisuke was brought back by Yoshi's zekkai. Evil or Very Mad]

All in all though, great series. Now looking forward to a US license (c'mon Bandai, don't let me down!)
jpotsy70

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of kekkaishi. The only anime's I enjoy as much are Bleach and FMA, there are a couple close seconds for me...but in the end those are my personal top 3 animes... so you can imagine how dispointed (And basically heartbroke I was) when I stopped being able to get my hands on anime epidsodes after episode 35.... I mean it was like the anime just evaporated... so I started reading the english manga... going to my local comic book store and purchasing it lke I should... and now I just want to see the anime even more.

In short, if you don't read the paragraph above, when can one see episodes past 35? And where can I find news on anime release of kekkaishi?

please feel free to post or e-mail me with this info since it's super important to me thanks a bunch.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It's been fully translated. It's out there to fnd. I really hope they make a season two next year, because the stuff after the anime ends is getting interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3