• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Convention Question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to go. I went to baaf but only to see bebop and I've never been to a con other then that. the best thing probably would be to get guests. if I were to do cosplay I would go all the way and do a Jin-Roh costum.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Question. usually when people run cons and they get guests do they pay them or just pay to get them there and hotel and stuff?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the guest. Each guest is handled differently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:37 pm Reply with quote
can you give some example?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:41 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

At a bare minimum, I'd expect a Japanese guest to get the following:
1st class seats on a nonstop flight (if at all possible)
at least one assistant (perhaps more),
a dedicated english translator/interpreter, and
all general expenses paid for by the convention. this would include at least 1 high-quality hotel room (probably a suite), tours of the local attractions, meals, and other things.

A number might ask for cash-in-advance or other specific things that the con would need to fufill. I've heard some pretty wierd tales of staffers going out at all hours of the night to find oddities the guests demanded.

American guests don't get quite so specialized treatment (they don't travel as far) but generally still get a number of things covered by the convention.. but even so, I'd expect them to get at least 1st class airfare (if they have to fly), a hotel room, gifts, and at least _some_ of the other stuff.

Obviously, importance also plays a part in the guest. More important guests can use that advantage to demand better. The size of the convention might also influence how much they would expect.. that sorta thing.

[EDIT](note: i don't have any con-staffing experience. feel free to shoot me down. but if i were a guest attending a convention in a foreign land, i'd demand the minimum above to attend. maybe i'm just greedy. ^_-)[/EDIT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:53 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

I don't have any specific examples but most guests don't get paid an appearance fee. Usually it's airfare (usually coach, but it depends on the guest....the "better" the guest the more he/she gets), meals, hotel room and a tour of any "tourist traps" in the area. And guests can usually bring a spouse or 1 friend. (Not a whole entourage.)

It really depends on the guest. A few American guests will pay for their own travel and the con just has to pay for meals and the hotel room. Sometimes guests ask for special things....it just depends. Every con handles guests differently and every guest is handled differently. There is no real standard for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:00 pm Reply with quote
so the biger the guest the more you pay but the more people come
nagash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:34 am Reply with quote
A few things:

Concerning guests: I knew a comic book store owner who flew in Mark Hammill (a.k.a Luke Skywalker or the Joker depending on how old you are). If I remember correctly, that cost somewhere on the line of $1500 for the round-trip ticket, hotel and food. It's not cheap.

I ran into something on-line and mentioned it to a small convention out here. I saw Arisia run it then Vericon (the convention I told) ran it. It's an art contest along the Iron Chef lines.
Pick a line of passage in a book, any book. The contestants draw their version of the passage. Take it from me, just because you're a nationally known artist doesn't mean you'll win.

What about a martial arts demonstration? Instructors come in, participants wear sweats, and everyone brings aspirin. Arisia has done this a couple of times.

Costume design, writers workshops, I read the model workshops earlier in the list (those are great, by the way), RPG room, or, if you do fly a guest out, have that room as the auditorium.
ownerizer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:58 am Reply with quote
LAN PARTY!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:52 pm Reply with quote
that would be SWEET. but you would have to have people bring in computers and you wouldn't want strangers playin you computer would you? or you could do XBOX.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2