• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Companies.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vegito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
Telescreen, Telescreen Japan and Telescreen and Visual 8 are all duplicates of Telescreen Japan Inc.

*Source: Alfred J. Kwak's ED, one of the TV series produced by them (See end credits: "Production Studios")

-

Teleimage is duplicator of Tele-Image Japan Inc.

*Source: Same as above, Telescreen Japan Inc. produce along with Tele-Image Japan Inc.

-

And Telescreen Distribution (a Dutch-based company), would be better as simply Telescreen because they also producing.

*Source: Official Website.
Vegito

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Don't want to be rude, but how much it's going to take? Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
We have the Sci-Fi Channel, then we have the Sci Fi Channel. Both of these should be combined.

By the way, before I realized that there were two, I started updating the old one with the modern shows. Which I why Tokko is on both of them. Sorry about that. I guess one of those will have to be deleted before being combined. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vegito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Vegito wrote:

Anybody? Crying or Very sad
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Vegito wrote:
Vegito wrote:

Anybody? Crying or Very sad

Months or years—take a look back a few pages in this thread for examples. The editors are all volunteers, and there are too few of them to do the work that needs to be done.
Vegito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
The editors are all volunteers, and there are too few of them to do the work that needs to be done.

And how I become a volunteer? I'll do that "work that needs to be done" without any problems Anime cry
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Vegito wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
The editors are all volunteers, and there are too few of them to do the work that needs to be done.

And how I become a volunteer? I'll do that "work that needs to be done" without any problems Anime cry

See this thread.

In your case, since at this time you have only contributed 321 pieces of data, I would work on the Encyclopedia more—add more information, report errors when you spot them (and confirm or refute errors that have already been reported), and be sure to include good proof to back up everything. Prove that you are dedicated valuable contributor, and Dan42 may eventually give you "the call". (This is merely IMHO, of course.)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Do Error Reports really count towards your point-a-ma-whatsits?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

If the error is corrected, and you supplied the information to correct it, you (usually) become the contributor of that datum. E.g., I've submitted error reports for other people's plot summaries in order to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and I can now edit those summaries because I "own" them. But I was thinking more in the way of raising your general reputation with the editors—if they like your work, you are more likely to be offered a position. Conversely, if your entries and error reports are incorrect, vague, or otherwise make their lives difficult, they are likely to tell Dan42 that they don't want you. (This is, again, all IMHO, and is based on several years as a contributor and reader of this forum.)

To give examples of what I think are good error reports (since there are mine Very Happy ), see the English episode titles for Lingeries. An example of a bad source would be "I saw it on [insert fansubbing site]", which would probably result in a large amount of time spent doing research by the editor who eventually got around to correcting the error, as opposed to a minute or two. (Editors have stated that errors which require the least effort tend to get fixed first.)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
So you mean like so? Wink
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

Yup.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Yup.

I've informed the submitter through PM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

If the error is corrected, and you supplied the information to correct it, you (usually) become the contributor of that datum. E.g., I've submitted error reports for other people's plot summaries in order to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and I can now edit those summaries because I "own" them.

Not always it would appear, as there was one particular error I submitted some time ago where a character was credited as "homeroom teacher" or something under the wrong seiyuu and I provided the character's full name and correct credit. It was corrected but I don't have 'ownership' of the entry which I kicked myself for as, since at the time I really wanted to get on monthly best contributors list just once and since the information was entirely incorrect I could have just resubmitted it and flagged the other entry for deletion. Now that the source field is vislble by all I can see that the source has been entered as "user Shiroi Hane".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Error that I found on the two Chuang Yi entries

Chuang Yi (Duplicate, should be removed and have the entries merged with below)

Chuang Yi Publishing Pte Ltd.
(Correct one since it's the official name.)

Last edited by Yu Ominae on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
TAP Kagura (with just one reference in an anime) is apparently an input error, merging together the two companies TAP and Kagura.

The TAVAC issue still isn't fixed, 40 months after it was reported.
(The spelling in original credits is タバック, thus explaining its frequent mistranslation to "Tabac").

The Studio Wanpack issue still isn't fixed, 45 months after it was reported (with a website link).

The MOOK issue still isn't fixed, 34 months after it was reported. We now have:
Studio Mook (4 credits, Animation/Production)
Mook (6 credits, Animation/Production)
Mook Animation (30+ credits, website)
Mooky Animation (1 credit, no source, Hentai)
Moo Anime Studio (1 credit, no source)
MOOK DLE (1 credit, English Wikipedia page explaining that this is a business alliance between Mook Animation and DLE Inc.).
The Japanese Wikipedia page for ムークアニメーション names this company as "MOOK ANIMATION INC.".

Nendai DOGA (1 staff) is apparently a duplicate of
Nendai Animation (12 staff)
as "動画" (Animation) is pronounced "douga".
(Shouldn't it actually be "Nian Dai Animation Productions", as in this Wikipedia page for 年代動画 and this IMDB page?)

Studio Garan (2 staff, Animation) is a duplicate of
Garan (20 staff, Animation)
which is written "GaRan" in the Suzuka credits of D2_STATION.
The Japanese Wikipedia page for スタジオ伽藍 explains that this company is known as "Studio GaRan" while its official company name is "GaRan".

Hayashi KK (3 staff, Paint/In-Between Animation) is apparently a duplicate of
Hayashi (40+ staff, Paint/In-Between Animation)
which is actually written "Hayashi K.K" in the Suzuka credits of D2_STATION.

ANN has the following entries being credited for "Titles":
Maki Productions (> 50 credits)
Maki Pro (> 50 credits)
Maki-Pro (1 credit for "Telop")
Maki Pro Film Developing (1 credit)
Maki PRO (person!, 2 credits)
Not a single one of these has a website. The Japanese Wikipedia page for マキ・プロ gives several dozens of references that might be helpful to merge these entries; searching Allcinema for "マキプロ" results in an entry 真樹プロダクション (with the pronunciation "Maki Productions") that might also be interesting but has no corresponding Wikipedia entry (but 4 hits in Wikipedia as search term) and just one credit for Karate Baka Ichidai (TV) which ANN has no company credits for.
At least the person looks certainly wrong but I would not be surprised if all of these entries were the same company.

ANN has the following entries being credited for "Music Production" (none of them with a website):
Scitron Digital Contents (2 credits)
Scitron Digital Contents Inc (0 credits)
Scitron Digital Contents Inc. (1 credit)
I got a Kanji page with a credit for Music Production to a company "サイトロン・アンド・アート" (to be pronounced "Scitron & Art" if Google gave me the right idea) which has a Japanese Wikipedia page but no ANN entry. Could this possibly be the same company?

Reported four years ago, and still not fixed:
Half H.P Studio (tons of credits)
Half H-P Studio (20 credits)
Half H P Studio (1 credit)
HALF H·P STUDIO (4 credits)
of which the last lone looks most similar to the logo on the company's website:

This company is actually the main subsidiary of 81 Produce, as shown on both the 81 Produce website and the 81 Produce Japanese Wikipedia page - is the ANN data model able to express any such dependency?

The following companies appear to be the same:
M.S.J Musashino Production (18 credits)
M.S.J. Musashino-Seisakujo (2 credits)
M.S.J. Musashino-Seisakujyo (1 credit)
M.D.J Musashino-Seisakujo (0 credits, apparently fixed before)
Musashino SEISAKUSYO (1 credit)
Musashino SEISAKUJO (1 credit)
The Kanji notation would be MSJ武蔵野制作所 => MSJ Musashino Seisakusho => MSJ Musashino Film Studio; at least that's the notation on the disambiguation page for MSJ in Japanese Wikipedia. Sadly, neither a Wikipedia page for that company exists nor a website can easily be found. The Kanji term has 887 Google hits.

Toranoana Inc. (2 credits, Production) and
Tora no Ana (2 credits, Production, website)
are the same company. See the Japanese Wikipedia page for コミックとらのあな (Comic Toranoana) naming this company "株式会社虎の穴" (Stock - Company - Tora no Ana) resp. "Toranoana Inc." but providing the same link to the Tora no Ana website.

Suwara PRO (2 staff, Sound Effects) and
Suwara Production (17 staff, Sound Effects)
are the same company.
Japanese Wikipedia redirects a link from スワラ・プロ to スワラプロダクション (Suwara Production).

OLM Digital (14 staff) and
Oriental Light and Magic (ca. 100 staff)
both share the same website http://www.olm.co.jp/ (and ANN obviously does no uniqueness check for this field).
This company has an English Website as well, showing that the OLM group is: Olm Inc., Olm Digital Inc, Viracocha, and Sprite Animation Studios.
The Japanese Wikipedia page for オー・エル・エム also shows that OLM Team Koitabashi belongs to this company as well (and OLM Team Boitabashi is a spelling error).

Regardless of what
Trans Arts Co., (0 credits)
Trans Arts Co. (lots of credits, website, company name トランスアーツ)
TRANS-ARTS (1 credit)
actually are, at least
SOFTX TRANS ARTS (1 credit, Jibaku-kun)
looks like an interpretation error, combining the two companies SOFTX and Trans Arts; the Japanese Wikipedia page for トランスアーツ lists the reference to Jibaku-kun.

Clockworks (1 credit, Kanji page but not "Clockworks" to be found there) is apparently a misreading duplicate of
The Klockworx Co., Ltd. (15 credits, website).
The Japanese Wikipedia page for クロックワークス names this company as "KlockWorx Co.ltd".

Actus (7 staff entries, Animation Production, In-Between Animation, Editing) is a duplicate of
ACTAS, Inc. (アクタス, website, 15 staff, Animation Production, In-Between Animation)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for アクタス names this company "Actas, Inc.".

Office Aoi (8 staff, In-Between Animation) appears to be a duplicate of
Office AO (23 staff, In-Between Animation)
as the Kanji name オフィス蒼 can be read both ways and the Japanese Wikipedia page for オフィス蒼 gives a reading of オフィス (office) あお (Ao).

Another company with many entries at ANN:
Tatsunoko Production (30+ credits, Animation Production, Japanese website, English website)
Tatsunoko (ca. 100 credits, Animation/Production, long "About:" description text, Japanese website URL of Tatsunoko Production)
TATSUNOKO Pro. (4 credits, Production / In-Between Animation)
Tatsunoko Pro (1 credit, In-Between Animation)
Tastunoko Pro (0 credits)
Japanese Wikipedia auto-forwards from タツノコプロ (Tatsunoko Pro) to 竜の子プロダクション and names this company as "Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.".
The title archive (English) of this company should help merging all those company entries.
Note that there are also
Tatsunoko Laboratory (1 credit, Production Assistance),
Tatsunoko Digital Room (1 credit, Production),
Tatsunoko Pro. Planning Department (1 credit, Theme Song Lyrics),
Tatsunoko Planning Office (1 credit, Original Concept),
Tatsunoko VCR (1 credit, 3D animation),
Tatsunoko Color Center (8 credits, Finishing / Paint / Color Check)
and given the
website wrote:
Company activities:
*Planning and production of theatrical and television animation
*Sales of animated productions both domestic and international
*Copyright management and copyright business
*Planning and production for original characters
*Planning and production for book, magazine and picture book publishing
this might still all be the same company.

The latest news about O:
O Production (5 credits, Animation / Production)
Oh production (50 credits, Animation tasks, since 1970-05, website)
Oh Productions (8 credits, Animation tasks)
Oh! Production (5 credits, Animation tasks, same website as above)
Oh!Production (1 credit, In-Between Animation)
Ohi Production (1 credit, Animation Production, obviously a "!" gone wild...)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for OH!プロダクション does not give any romanization of the company name; the company website starts with "Welcome to Oh!production" and has "Oh!production" in the title tag of that page, so that's apparently not just a typo.
(Even Japanese sources are using "OHプロダクション" without a "!" in their credits, thus increasing the confusion.)

Tamasawa Animation (3 staff, In-Between Animation) is a translation of
Tamazawa Dogasha (17 staff, various animation tasks)
as the Kanji notation is 玉沢動画舎 => Tama[s/z]awa douga-sha => Tama[s/z]awa Animation-Company.
(This company issue has been reported four years ago already.)

Dogakoba (0 staff)
dogakobo, (0 staff)
Doga-Kobou (1 staff, examiner)
Dogakobo (30 staff, animation tasks, website)
Douga Kubo (10 staff, animation tasks)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for 動画工房 gives the company name as "Dogakobo,Inc.".
ANN credits "Douga Kubo" for "Ouran High School Host Club" but Japanese Wikipedia lists the contribution of 動画工房 to 桜蘭高校ホスト部.

Nippon Columbia (13 staff, Production/Music Production, website) is the same as
Columbia Music Entertainment (>100 staff, music production, website)
as both websites belong to the same domain and Japanese Wikipedia redirects 日本コロムビア (Nippon Columbia) to コロムビアミュージックエンタテインメント (Columbia Music Entertainment, Inc.).

Akita Bunko (1 staff as Publisher, 秋田文庫?, would be "Akita Library") appears to be a part or subsidiary or old name of
Akita Shoten (>100 staff as Publisher, 秋田書店 = "Akita Bookshop").
Japanese Wikipedia gives the Akita Shoten company page (Akita Publishing Co., Ltd.) as first hit for a search for 秋田文庫; Google gives the Akita Shoten website as first result for a search for 秋田文庫. I can't find that particular 秋田文庫 string on these pages though.

Cospa (1 credit for Assistance) is a duplicate of
COSPA Inc. (2 credits for Assistance)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for コスパ gives the company name as "COSPA Inc.", together with a website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 34