• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: You're So Cool GN 1-2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
I read the whole series online. I liked it and I'm a feminist who hates seeing a woman act submissive even if she likes it and who hates dominating and controlling men.

...Weird I must say. I loved this one.

Cutie Boy has a similar plot to this one. Mean angry boy who tortures heroine. I enjoyed that one more. The heroine in that one manages to wrap the guy around her finger eventually and turn the tables. Delicious. Spank that naughty boy! Wink
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking about buying this. But whether or not I would like it would depend on if the hero changes and starts treating the heroine with respect and love. It's the key for me in series like this (characters can start off bad; they just have to change convincingly). Does anyone know if that happens in this one?
sblack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
If a story filled with characters as admittedly bad and unrealistic as this series' is enough to make you bring up lost faith in the female gender, you've been spending too much time around pretty skewed media and/or people.

It's a shame that in this type of manga/manhwa, it's common for the main character to be made as boring and mediocre as possible so that a larger section of the target audience will (supposedly) readily identify with her. It becomes downright ridiculous in cases like this, where the main character is supposed to be outstanding because of her personality. I guess you could call it a case of marketing trumping storytelling.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldnt call her boring. She sorta reminded me of a cute little monkey. ...maybe I'm just weird. Laughing

Anyway this series is only 6 books long. And although you find out he does love her..he doesnt change much and the teasing lasts for a while. Its a love-hate thing.

It's been a while since I read this so..who knows what I would think if I read it now. I am constantly changing my mind. X______X
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I've been thinking about buying this. But whether or not I would like it would depend on if the hero changes and starts treating the heroine with respect and love. It's the key for me in series like this (characters can start off bad; they just have to change convincingly). Does anyone know if that happens in this one?

It does and it's done pretty realistically too so it isn't a complete heel face turn one chapter. I really liked it and it's shame the reviewer gave the story a 'C' it's not really as bad as she makes it seem. The heroine doesn't just roll over and take the abuse, she does everything in her power to try and turn the tables on him but in the end he always had one up on him and even more she realizes that despite it all she still loves him and he only acted the way he acted because he's never had love before. Anyway I recommend you at least give this one a try.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
From this review it sounds like the dumbest thing about this is the reason for his behavior: yet another "poor little rich kid" back story. To me the obvious answer to his abuse of others would be that he was abused as a child, and is just continuing the cycle or something. It seems as though manga (and manwha, as this is) doesn't want to acknowledge that rich people actually have it good.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
sblack wrote:
If a story filled with characters as admittedly bad and unrealistic as this series' is enough to make you bring up lost faith in the female gender, you've been spending too much time around pretty skewed media and/or people.

But remember that a woman wrote it. That's what disturbs me a bit.

The basic premise of a jerk who bullies a girl and eventually reforms because of her is OK, but the problem is that he isn't just a jerk; he really is a monster. The chapter where Nan-Woo just tries to run away from him, only for him to doggedly pursue her and advise her to "just give up" was chilling rather than funny. He genuinely gives off the vibe of an abusive sadist rather than a symbolically unpleasant storybook jerk, and while that’s actually something of an accomplishment from a writing standpoint, it's a rotten ingredient for a comedy. Maybe this would have worked better as a drama.

The pacing's screwy, too. Like the review mentions, it's the middle of the second volum before the slightest start is made towards making Seung-Ha sympathetic...and it's only a start. I grew fatigued reading chapter after chapter of Nan-Woo abuse.
Blue Sonnet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Hot Gimmick anyone? Although in that one spoiler[ the evil bar-steward doesn't change, and the idiot girl ends up marrying him because he tells her to.] At least the love interest learns his lesson in this series.
sblack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
sblack wrote:

But remember that a woman wrote it. That's what disturbs me a bit.

Yes, well, the direct equivalent has been known to happen in literature written by men. Women can be low on self-esteem; men can be low on self-esteem. It's more of a 'being a flawed human' thing.
Not trying to justify it, but...it happens.

This author (thank everything) does not represent what all women think -- she represents what she personally thinks, perhaps with some skewing from her editor thrown in. It's a disgrace that some girls will read this sort of stuff and think that the main character is how they're supposed to act to win guys. I wish I could say I haven't seen the results of that in real life.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
sblack wrote:
This author (thank everything) does not represent what all women think -- she represents what she personally thinks, perhaps with some skewing from her editor thrown in. It's a disgrace that some girls will read this sort of stuff and think that the main character is how they're supposed to act to win guys. I wish I could say I haven't seen the results of that in real life.

It doesn't have to be what the author really, personally thinks--perhaps she (or any of the other myriad authors who have written and will write this exact same story) is simply telling a story about that particular situation, abusive relationships. Stories can be told about a situation without endorsing it, even those stories with undesirable endings to the situation.

Now, if the guy never changes and no negative implication is ever made as to his actions (such as in the Twilight books), then I would worry that the author really thinks it's a good thing, and that scares the crap out of me for the exact same reason you gave--young girls think it's a Great Idea and get themselves in scary, abusive relationships. But overall, authors can write about negative things just to tell a story about them. I'm writing a story right now where there is an emotionally abusive relationship. I don't think they're super awesome, it was just the story I felt like telling at the moment.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:

It doesn't have to be what the author really, personally thinks--perhaps she (or any of the other myriad authors who have written and will write this exact same story) is simply telling a story about that particular situation, abusive relationships. Stories can be told about a situation without endorsing it, even those stories with undesirable endings to the situation.

I agree a story with abuse isn't a problem, it's whether it endorses/apologizes for it. From this person's comment:

kakoishii wrote:
she realizes that despite it all she still loves him and he only acted the way he acted because he's never had love before.

It sounds like it IS endorsing it. It's downright dangerous to let girls think that they can change a guy with the "power of their love".
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
la_contessa wrote:

I agree a story with abuse isn't a problem, it's whether it endorses/apologizes for it. From this person's comment:

kakoishii wrote:
she realizes that despite it all she still loves him and he only acted the way he acted because he's never had love before.

It sounds like it IS endorsing it. It's downright dangerous to let girls think that they can change a guy with the "power of their love".

Welcome to the world of shoujo. The majority of them have a jerk of a guy for the leading male character who the heroine's love manages to change. If they arent a jerk I can assure you they will have some sort of problem or trauma. The nice, normal guys also always lose.

Few examples:

-Hana Yori Dango: Classic example. Immature, abusive, selfish, jerky guy who changes due to...you guessed it, love. I liked him though from the beginning. Anime hyper

-Itazura Na Kiss: Huge huge cold hearted jerk. Embarrasses her more then once, rejects her, talks down to her, etc. Later grows to like her and becomes a sweeter.

-Kare Kano: Boy with a trauma and a dark past. ..at least he isnt a jerk though. Anime smile

-MARS: Violent playboy with a trauma

TRAUMMMAA..

And if Vampire Knight decides to follow the trend then Yuki is gonna pick emo angsting angry Zero..who iirc spoiler[pointed a gun at her. ] He's racist. (to Vampires) lawl.

Also anyone reading NANA? Look who Hachi ends up with.

I could keep going.

...why do I still like these things though? Anime dazed
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:

Welcome to the world of shoujo. The majority of them have a jerk of a guy for the leading male character who the heroine's love manages to change. If they arent a jerk I can assure you they will have some sort of problem or trauma. The nice, normal guys also always lose.

Hence why I've mostly given up on the genre. There will ocassionally be a shoujo that isn't annoying like say Fruits Basket where the guy is a social retard rather than abusive or Ouran where a lot of the gender cliches are played around with, but it's almost not worth the massive search it takes to find them.

I'm not sure Zero really counts though. Vampirism is basically uncurrable rabies in that universe (stopped reading it for other reasons though).
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
High School Debut is a good exception to this rule. The main guy is introverted and intolerant of social maneuvering to a degree that makes him seem rude, but he's actually quite considerate.

Anyone know of a shoujo manga where a girl gets with a jerk, her love doesn't change him, and she leaves him because he's bad news? I'd really like to read that.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with High School Debut, Lovely Complex is another one.

I recently started reading Fujoshi Kanojo. Only 3 chapters in, but so far its a must read..so far that is.. Its about a normal nice guy who likes this girl, asks her out, and finds out she's an otaku and BL fangirl. Funny stuff. I wish I could find more of it translated. It isnt licensed as far as I know. I'd buy it asap if it was.

As for your question, I actually sat for a while and thought about it. I dont think I've ever read one like that. If anyone does know any like that let me know as well.

Skip Beat might turn out like that..as long as Kyoko doesnt end up with that child Sho. I have too much pride to take someone like that back. Hopefully she does as well. Not gonna continue this one until I know how it ends. If she picks Sho I'm not gonna ever finish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2