• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
@R.G: It doesn't follow that nothing is good enough for naysayers because they say nay because they think the material in question deserves better than what it is adapted into.

Controversial statement: perhaps retreading classics like Cowboy Bebop and Astro Boy is in poor taste as they are already quite outstanding. What if someone went apeshit crazy and made a new story? ...JUST KIDDING! Ridiculous, I know, I know. I had you going there! Ah ha haaa...
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
wow amazing. Thanks for the review on this one. If I can see it for free, I'll consider it. But, knew it was going to be bad so I'm not disappointed. I work at a local toy store and the toys from the movie have shown up - not entirely disappointed, but not impressed. And if the movie is a complete failure as a film, the toys are heading for clearance REALLY quick. I may pick some up given that.

But all that aside, I thought that making money was something that movie studios aspired to do, especially with merchandising, one market enhancing the other. That is, a successful movie can increase sales of merchandise and generate even more revenue. So I don't understand why they whouldn't go at this whole hog, why they whouldn't TRY to make a good movie. Bad movies don't usually generate sales. I mean, are they trying to top Delgo? Further, the toys are not impressive, as noted above, and the only videogame is going to be on the PSP? That seems like the merch fell out of this one once Fox KNEW it was bad. Seems like the bare minimum effort has been afforded on every level of this flop.

Further, why release it in Japan in advance of the US? So it generate negative reviews and even LESS people see it? o.O I'm having trouble seeing the logic there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:

Further, why release it in Japan in advance of the US? So it generate negative reviews and even LESS people see it? o.O I'm having trouble seeing the logic there.

Actually, they were hoping the opposite: since Dragonball is even bigger in Japan and Asia than the US, they were hoping that even if just a portion of that huge Asian fanbase would see the movie, then it could still be considered a success.

Nevertheless, releasing a movie in Japan or other countries first is not something new, but it tends to be for films that they're unsure about how it'll do in America, so they test-drive it. Titanic was test-drove on Japan and the UK first, and I hear it didn't do too badly over there. Laughing
christian556

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Electrastar wrote:
Am I surprised it sucks? Not at all. When I saw who they picked to play Goku, a scrawny looking kid who has no business playing a martial artist, I knew it was going to be a big heap of burning trash.

Some things just aren't made to be adapted into live action, and Dragon Ball is one of them... Imagine if they make movies all the way to the Dragon Ball Z storylines....ouch, that's going to be BAD!

This movie really wasnt bad I didn't really wanna see it so I watched the bootleg on youtube... and I got kinda into so I told a few other friends to watch it and they also liked it so stop trying to be cool this movie wasnt that bad and dont pretend like it was just because it is cool to do you all did the same thing for speed racer then now you are going its not so bad. Speed racer was also cool but lets face facts NOTHING REPEAT NOTHING willever beat 80's and 90's manga (Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Inuyasha,Big O ,and gundam etc.) espically not this crap out now... I started watching death note on the 4th episode or something (where he gets the guy to hijack the bus so this huge convoluted plot could unfold ) and I was like wow that was cool I I imported the movies which summarized the series for me and I enjoyed them however the series turned into garbage "haha I will play tennis so he wont suspect me!!!" WTF?!?! thats show is garbage as well as its clone "Code Geiss" formula take Death Note add robots... done actual line from the only episode I watched no lie "all those memories may be fake but that time we spent together was real(in head haha now I will use him to get my revenge and then toss him" seriously?.... I thought he was trying to get revenge on some dude who used to like himor something like that... and dont even get me started on where bleach has been going lately (WHERE THE HELL DID THE HOLLOWS GO!?!?!?!?!?)

Summary: this movie isnt bad
death note tv and manga sucks
movie rocks
misa dresses like a goth but is somehow a pop queen in the vein of hannah montanna
bleach sucks after he kills aizen
AND FINALLY
DBZ: Kai
cant wait
good night
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
christian556 wrote:
Electrastar wrote:
Am I surprised it sucks? Not at all. When I saw who they picked to play Goku, a scrawny looking kid who has no business playing a martial artist, I knew it was going to be a big heap of burning trash.

Some things just aren't made to be adapted into live action, and Dragon Ball is one of them... Imagine if they make movies all the way to the Dragon Ball Z storylines....ouch, that's going to be BAD!

This movie really wasnt bad I didn't really wanna see it so I watched the bootleg on youtube... and I got kinda into so I told a few other friends to watch it and they also liked it so stop trying to be cool this movie wasnt that bad and don't pretend like it was just because it is cool to do you all did the same thing for speed racer then now you are going its not so bad. Speed racer was also cool but lets face facts NOTHING REPEAT NOTHING willever beat 80's and 90's manga (Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Inuyasha,Big O ,and gundam etc.) espically not this crap out now... I started watching death note on the 4th episode or something (where he gets the guy to hijack the bus so this huge convoluted plot could unfold ) and I was like wow that was cool I I imported the movies which summarized the series for me and I enjoyed them however the series turned into garbage "haha I will play tennis so he wont suspect me!!!" WTF?!?! thats show is garbage as well as its clone "Code Geiss" formula take Death Note add robots... done actual line from the only episode I watched no lie "all those memories may be fake but that time we spent together was real(in head haha now I will use him to get my revenge and then toss him" seriously?.... I thought he was trying to get revenge on some dude who used to like himor something like that... and don't even get me started on where bleach has been going lately (WHERE THE HELL DID THE HOLLOWS GO!?!?!?!?!?)

Summary: this movie isnt bad
death note tv and manga sucks
movie rocks
misa dresses like a goth but is somehow a pop queen in the vein of hannah montanna
bleach sucks after he kills aizen
AND FINALLY
DBZ: Kai
can't wait
good night

A+ would read again. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
On another note, internet meme group My Way Entertainment stated in their Myspace bulletin that they are going to see it, because it really doesn't matter how "bad" it may seem, because Hollywood does stuff all the time.

My Way Entertainment wrote:
Ok ladies and gentlemen. You dont have to send me messages telling me how sucky Dragonball Evolution is. I'm getting too many of those already. I hear it enough and read it enough. Tho, with all the negativity I could give a rats ass because I and a few of my peeps can freaking stand it and enjoy the adaptation of dragonball. My childhood isn't "destroyed" by hollywoods version. They can make all kinds of versions. I dont give a shit. I know and own the original series. I know the source. Give me any interpretation they want. To see it from another view doesn't bother me (xcept Catwoman, that was just.... that was stupid).

So in conclusion, yes we know what the world thinks. Yes we know that it's leaked. Oh yes I have watched sum of it and oh yes, I'm paying. It's my money.
It's only 5 bucks anyways

Notice they say that their childhood isn't "destroyed" like a lot of people have claimed on certain other movies that came out in the past few years. Which remains true, mind you.
intrud3r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
well, I think any further discussion about this failure of a movie is an insult to the db, dbz and db gt community, not an insult literarly I just didn't know how express, personally I'm a big fan of dragon ball, and would gladly put a bullet between the eyes of the people who made this movie Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
intrud3r wrote:
well, I think any further discussion about this failure of a movie is an insult to the db, dbz and db gt community, not an insult literarly I just didn't know how express, personally I'm a big fan of dragon ball, and would gladly put a bullet between the eyes of the people who made this movie Smile

Ya know there's simply being facetious, and then there's just being an ignorant ass. Guess which one you fall into?
intrud3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
i think i fall into the "missunderstood" group, as i said i didn't know how to express my self 'cause i'm not a native american/english/australian bla bla bla...
what i ment to say is that a movie is an insult not your comments, and the above said comments, are pointless(I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS MY SELF), people do have a tendency to screw up with something they don't quite respect, and that's what happened, those f...cks didn't respect dragon ball so they didn't give a damn about screwing it up,and that's exactly what they did, if this still isn't enough to change you mind about me being an "ignorant ass", then fine nobody's perfect, neither am I
No_Life_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
In the first place, you can't make a movie adapted from an anime about giant monkeys and magic balls and expect it to actually be good! Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Dragonball but it's one anime that no one should have ever made a movie out of.

Off hand it's gonna be bad when your basing it off of giant alien monkeys, greenmen, perverted old martial arts masters, and talking animals. I mean come on. Does it sound like something you'd want to watch?

The anime has more depth to it and usually when it's made into a film, it's only in for the money and no real feel for the original. So of course it's gonna be bad.
intrud3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
of course, that's what i think, damn you, I should have thought of that explanation Smile i'm well aware of that.
They shouldn't have made it in the first place, but that's not what bothers me; it's acting, the development of the story

I mean c'mon, yamcha being a blonde chinese, piccolo killing gohan, and shenron burping at roshi to make him come back to life they could have at least make his eyes red... bla bla, i could go on an on about this

I'm just disappointed that's all there is to it, but i can't say i'm not surprised, i was hoping that they wouldn't blew it, but who gives a shit dragon ball as an anime won't go anywhere, and no one can mess that up, btw has Akira Toriyama been involved in the movie?
I'd say NO
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
At most, they make for an entertaining read and a good laugh.

Well, there's absolutely no denying that when it comes to typing with razor blades, that Zac is without peer (at least, on ANN, anyway Anime smallmouth ).
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
At most, they make for an entertaining read and a good laugh.

Well, there's absolutely no denying that when it comes to typing with razor blades, that Zac is without peer (at least, on ANN, anyway Anime smallmouth ).

I think that's mostly because the other people all got banned. Razz
Paranoia Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This is what you get when one mixes lifeless Otaku's, with a live action ADAPTATION. The reviewer critiques the damned piece as if it were Award-worthy. Can't people take this film for what it's meant to be? A mediocre, sci-fi, anime adaptation.

Ignorance is the key here. Most people need to be open minded if they see this, or else, they'll end up like the loser who wrote this review.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Phantom wrote:
This is what you get when one mixes lifeless Otaku's, with a live action ADAPTATION. The reviewer critiques the damned piece as if it were Award-worthy. Can't people take this film for what it's meant to be? A mediocre, sci-fi, anime adaptation.

Ignorance is the key here. Most people need to be open minded if they see this, or else, they'll end up like the loser who wrote this review.

So being "open-minded" translates to "completely ignoring the fact that a particular movie sucks noodles"? That's news to me. Also, why in the world should any viewer settle for "mediocrity"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17