• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
I am disappointed that the Band of Hawk was able to escape another round of defeat with a tie

At least I think we can probably expect the Host Club to knock them out of the tournament next round, since it seems to have stronger support than either them or the Mew Mews. Though I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
16 votes is incredibly disappointing turnout. It's the lowest since at least before the duos tournament, which is three tournaments ago. Also, it's not exactly the second consecutive round with a tie, the other one was in Bracket A.
mow123 wrote:
I am disappointed that the Band of Hawk was able to escape another round of defeat with a tie, but how many people picked the Mew Mews to go this far anyway?

One person. Which means the last minute change doesn't really change how the mini-game would have turned out much except for maybe that one person (although it still may not hurt him/her much), and I think one other person might have gotten bumped down a slot in potential best finish place.

Results.
Olliff is now leading by a whopping 17 points, and only 4 other can possibly pass him, although two others might manage a tie (although I'd have to check some numbers to see whether or not that's potentially a winning score). The order down through 8th remains unchanged from last round, with mow in 2nd, Key holding onto 3rd, dtm, Aylinn, marie, murph, and Ggultra. Derek pulls a little ahead from animnafets, who was caught by Hentai_JP, passing guet on the way. Mushi-Man is a little more behind, then Past and The King of Harts switched spots around egoist, and snowypetal and sailorsarah round out the list.

Also, the last minute comeback of the Band of the Hawk makes this round the third most accurately predicted third round bracket mini-game in my records (68.06%), second being A-3 of this tournament (69.44%), and best being D-3 of the Hero tournament (70.45%, and featured winners of Ashitaka, Simon, Kamina, and Yoko (no, the Yoko from Twelve Kingdoms)).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group D is now closed.

I look into my crystal ball and see a couple of near-certain blow-outs this round, but at least one or two others should be very close. Shall we see if my ball is on the fritz or not?

Oh, and at the end of this group I will have my first set of Power Ranking for all of the survivors.

Group D-25
Children of Béfort, Fantastic Children
vs.
Macross Bridge Crew, Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Winner: Children of Béfort
Total: 15-2

Group D-26
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Gatchaman
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Winner: Gatchaman
Total: 12-5

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Bronze Saints, Saint Seiya

Winner: Debris Section
Total: 16-1

Group D-28
Dai-Gurren Brigade, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Terrestrial Administration Center (aka TAC), Blue Seed

Winner: Dai-Gurren Brigade
Total: 13-4

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

The Macross Bridge Crew is a solid and capable bunch, but the Children of Befort have something special going on with the way they endure across centuries to continue pursuit of their purpose, and spoiler[one late stress-driven betrayal] isn't enough to sink them yet.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Yeesh. I nominated both of these two and have been probably the most ardent proponents of both, so I hope people heed my opinion on this one, as I feel I'm speaking from a position of authority here.

First, my apologies about the Aswad clip. It isn't the strongest example of them in unit action and that's my fault for not recommending a better option to ccdx (who I don't believe is very familiar with the series). Even so, the Gatchaman clip should give an example of why they should be one of the strongest contenders in this field. Ken may be the star, but when the team goes into a fight they work as a team and fight as a team as well as (or better than!) anyone else in this tournament. Even the Aswad, with their discipline and strong leadership, can't consistently match them on that. Gatchaman set the standard against which all other super-powered teams should be judged, and Aswad falls just a little short here.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

I am very much irked at Debris Section beating Chor Tempest last round, but I am not entirely convinced that the Bronze Saints deserve to beat them. I will watch for arguments and review the video clip, so this vote may be subject to change. (I think DS will win easily, though.)

Group D-28
vs.

No contest here for me. TAC definitely doesn't deserve to go farther than this, and the Dai-Gurren Brigade, while totally lacking discipline, is one of the most rambunctious, gung-ho teams ever. Their enthusiasm is infectious, and there's probably no other team in this tournament that you can say that about. If for no other reason, they deserve to win for just being much more fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
I am disappointed that the Band of Hawk was able to escape another round of defeat with a tie

Glad to see my last minute voting had at least some effect Wink. I just couldn't let my last nomination still in the running get taken down by such unworthy opposition, though unfortunately that's what will happen next round.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

Going with what I know and that's the Children of Befor for the hell they went through and mananging to stick together for all those years.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

As much as I like My-Otome, I'm going to have to go with Gatchaman here, mainly because they are THE Classic Team.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

This is a "meh" for me but due to previous comments and the Guide, Debris Section gets the vote.

Group D-28
vs.

This may be the "pity" vote but I'm sticking with the TAC because they do stick together (and no one on the team gets killed in the first few episodes. Wink Very Happy )
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Group D-25
Voting for: Macross Bridge Crew, Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Reasons: I think this is the point where the weaknesses for the Children of Befort that everyone has mentioned in previous rounds finally is enough to unseat them.

Group D-26
Voting for: Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Gatchaman

Reasons: Being the classic team still is enough to get these guys through to the next round.

Group D-27
Voting for: Debris Section, Planetes

Reasons: Guide/arguments I remember from previous rounds. Not really anything other than that, I'm afraid.

Group D-28
Voting for: Dai-Gurren Brigade, Gurren Lagann

Reasons: Again, guide and previous arguments that I remember.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite disappointed that the Nirvana crew lost against the Ouran Host Club as I did believe they were the better team in their matchup. I won't be able to debate for this bracket since I'm only familiar with one team (Dai-Gurren Brigade) in this group.

Match D-25: Children of Befort (Fantastic Children)
I've heard enough great things about the Befort children and Fantastic Children. Makes me tempted to watch the show at some point. They still have my support for this round.

Match D-26: Gatchaman/G-Force (Gatchaman)
Being a classic team, I guess I have no choice but to vote for this group.

Match D-27: Bronze Saints (Saint Seiya)
Simply voting for them because they are another classic anime team that I'd like to see move on for at least another round.

Match D-28: Dai-Gurren Brigade (Gurren Lagann)
Kamina and Simon's leadership and the team's strong trust in one another have played a large part in helping the Gurren Brigade overcome the many battles they face against the Beastmen and Anti-Spirals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

My vote goes to Macross Bridge Crew, Super Dimension Fortress Macross primarily because I have never seen Fantastic Children and I liked the crew of the Macross Smile

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

MY vote goes to Aswad, My-Otome Gatchaman frankly makes me cringe. Spouting power ranger nonsense at each other does not a true team make. I am a bit ambivolent about Aswad but it beats its competition imho.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

My vote goes to Debris Section, Planetes while I have never seen this show my strong dislike of power ranger style super teams (western or eastern) leads me to vote against the Bronze Saints.

Group D-28
vs.

My vote goes to Dai-Gurren Brigade, Gurren Lagann While many may criticise this Anime it cannot be denied that the strength of the central team and the amount they trusted and relied apon each other was staggering. The strong team was the center of this show I feel.
mow123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

The Children of Befort endured more than most teams, and despite this they manage to stick together through thick and thin. They do have their fault, but based on the circumstances I would have to say it is very different from the situation than the Band of Hawk. Callousness is absent and their team never is left in ruin. Their end result is very different, while it is true they both have went through hell in the process. Persistence and sure willpower are among some of this team's greatest strengths. Compared to the Macross Crew, this match shouldn't be close, the Macross team may be the more classic of the two, but posters are giving way to much credit when the classicness and influence shouldn't be the deciding factor in this tournament.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Gatchman has been touted as a classic team, and this seems to be one of the main reasons why people are favoring them. Influence and the prototypical nature should be a factor, but it shouldn't be the criteria to why someone votes for a team.

Unfortunately, Gatachman hasn't aged well with time. The team lacks depth, and any character development remains very limited. The clip also did make me cringe; it also reminds me that the more prototypical doesn't necessarily mean the better team. G-force does have a few thing going together -- namely teamwork, common goal, and unity. Unfortunately, everything is kept very simple, and this will likely be the demise for this very classic team. Aswad has the clear edge in development while matching them in many of their strengths, and they remain absent of the cheese factor present in Gatchaman. Propelled by Key's very persuasive post Gatchaman appears to have the momentum, and it also doesn't hurt that it appears Key made the extra effort on both their clip and their guide. Voters had no problem voting against the tight-knit and also classic Knight Sabers team but when Gatchaman is involved, the voting trend seem very different. Influence of who supports what team is probably the factor, and while he also supported the Knight Sabers, I feel that he has made the extra effort this team in this round and in previous round. Key's influence in this match shouldn't be underestimated but I don't blame him for using it either.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

No contest. In terms of development and growth Debris Section has a clear edge. They have also had the much tougher match ups than the Saints, another team that I suppose could be coined as classic. Teams should be judged on merits, and classiness and legacy should only be a factor and not the main reason why a team is picked. If this was the case, Team Rocket would still be around. That team could be considered a classic team by many respects.

Group D-28
vs.

Not a pity vote. Dai-Gurren Brigade while the clear favorite to win in this match, really shouldn't win based on merits. Instead of relying on each member, the brigade is guided by the sheer personality of their leader Kamina and Simon. I still believe that the Crest of Stars crew should still be here in their place, but they lost due to their relative obscurity. This is a vote for TAC as a vote against the brigade though I doubt it will mean much at this point. I just hope this team isn't advanced much further because a team that relies so heavily on the leadership of a few key players when there is limited direct teamwork and development outside the main character, Simon, is a significant weakness.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

Children of Béfort I know next to nothing about Macross Bridge Crew and no one is arguing in their favour, so I vote for the team I'm familiar with.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman Based on the guide, but I don't care either way, so I may change my vote in the future.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

Debris Section It seems their competition is not very strong.

Group D-28
vs.

Dai-Gurren Brigade Based on the guide and comments.
farichada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Happy Thanksgiving!

Group D-25
vs.

Children of Befort's unity and common bond is very strong. They do have a very minor weakness, but I thnk they have a good shot at this group. As others have said, they go through hell, get little respect, and have to endure a series of stressful events. Despite this, they manage to accomplish quite a bit.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Aswad Being a classic doesn't mean everything. With Key being a sworn die-hard proponent of the other team, I don't like their chances. I have seen bits of each show, and while it is clear that G-Force does influence a number of teams that come decades after it, the team left me with a sour taste in mouth. They have teamwork down perfectly, but they seem severely underdeveloped and shallow in terms of depth. f they are the original they did leave the impression that the original can still be bland. As Mow123 said, aclassic team doesn't mean they are a strong team either. The same characteristics should be used to judge this team, and in the depth department this team seems to be sorely lacking.

Leaving a legacy for the sentai genre is a double edged sword. While their influence is undeniable, the genre itself reeks of staleness and it's influence is definitely on the decline as modern studios see the sentai genre the same way. It is still played for laughs in parody, but that's mainly just to poke fun at the weaknesses of the genre, which unfortunately are many.

I can see similarities to this contender to Astro Boy in the Most Heroic tournament. While both are classic staples of anime that have a strong legacy and influence they are both bland, and lacking in depth. This can be the downfall of a good hero or of a team, such as the case with Science Ninja Team Gatchaman.

If I have the time, I will argue my case for the other team, but I think the best examples have already been argued by Key in the previous rounds. I may have to dig back and use some of them if I have time. I also can't help but feel the extra effort that Key put into the guide for Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. Compare this to the entry for the Sailor Scouts in Group C. While I don't fault Key for doing, the influence of a good guide entry can be quite strong, especially when the guide has a skilled writer like Key.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

In all most all of the ares that make a team strong, Debris Section has the Saints beat -- development, teamwork, growth, team dynamics, and chemistry.

Group D-28
vs.

I have issues with Simon's leadership, especially when it seems that the success of the team is more of a product of pure force of personality than actual teamwork. TAC for now.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

Children of Befort. Persistence, and pursuit of a common purpose despite going through a number of hardships is enough to give the edge to this team. The big question is how they will fare against a team that is considered a "classic".

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

The majority of people voting for Gatchman seem to be voting for them because they are a classic. It appears that Key is their focal and vocal primary supporter. Quite frankly, I was not impressed by their clip, and I also feel that their guide was given careful care by its author, who happens to be Key. Compare Gatchaman's guide compared to the other team's guides, and it is clear that this was thorough. I have to echo some of the concerns voiced by others, namely the lack of development, depth, growth, and very rigid and stiff team interactions. It is clear that they should be here based on their strengths, but their status as a "classic" in the power rangers genre really shouldn't carry them much farther. Especially when there are much deeper and developed team that have also had contributions and influence on this genre, such as the Knight Sabers. The robotic Aswad team are an easy group to discount or dismiss because of the reputation tied to the show that they come from, but few groups in this tournament have such a tightly defined beliefs and purpose as they do and few teams are as coordinated as well.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

The Saints are another classic team that's clearly being overestimated, and it's not like the Debris Section needs to go up against a weak team to win either. They show strong growth, and development, and I have feeling that the members learn to not only rely on each other as a team, but grow individually as well.

Group D-28
vs.

Was planning on voting for Simon's team, but recent comments have convinced me to vote against them for now. I do see a few flaws and how this team racks up accomplishments. They seem to do it based more on raw intensity, and bullheaded persistence than actual coordinated teamwork. The reckless nature of their team should also be an issue as this team progresses on to the later rounds. I also feel that TAC are the clear underdogs since they come from such an obscure series, and it's a shame since I see a lot of good teamwork in their clip, and their guide is fairly well written as well. From a statistically standpoint, it is doubtful that they will be able to pull of the upset though.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Group D-25
Children of Befort, Fantastic Children vs
Voting for: Children of Befort
Because: I like the clip of the Macross crew more, but I've seen the whole series and they don't go much beyond that, and the scene is from the first episode. All the support for the Children is enough to convince me, although in the future I'd like maybe a couple examples of what they do.

Group D-26
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Gatchaman vs
Aswad, My-Otome
Voting for: Gatchaman
Because: Aw, I like them both, but I can only pick one. Edge to Gatchaman for creating the standard for the sentai team make up.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes vs.
Voting for: Debris Section
Because: Debris Section has a great group dynamic, and specific roles that its members fulfill, as opposed to just a group of people working together.

Group D-28
Dai-Gurren Brigade, Gurren Lagann vs.
Voting for: Dai-Gurren Brigade
Because: The Brigade is far from perfect, but they are a powerhouse of spirit, and what they do well, they do very well. They're unstoppable when they follow a motivated leader.
Also, for the TAC clip, could someone explain the bit at the end? Because unless the girl's apparent special power was a planned factor in the rescue, I'd consider that a failure, as it looked like she would have been dead otherwise.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
vs.

Children of Béfort is my choice here. How could it be otherwise? Though they do have their fatal flaws, they are a phenomenally focussed and devoted group, that sticks together through centuries-long trials.

Group D-26
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Aswad, but only by a hair. Honestly, I like both groups, but Aswad will have to be my choice.

Group D-27
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.

Debris Section, no question. I've voted against them, but in this match they are clear winners.

Group D-28
vs.

Dai-Gurren Brigade, and not a second's hesitation. The sheer exuberant dynamism of the brigade, their joie de vivre, their massive spiral power.... who better?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 70