• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What got you hooked into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
earliest thing I remember clearly is the reruns of Robotech on Cartoon Network. After that I caught Escaflowne on Fox, but what really set me on the path to fandom was Gundam Wing on cartoon network. I don't care what anyone says, "The Great Destroyer" sounds SO much cooler than the "God of Death".

It wasn't the mecha or the styling or the action that got me, I was big into novels at that time and the serial nature of the anime stories is what pulled me in.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
Evangelion, Evangelion, Evangelion.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
I dont really remember what my first anime shows were, i do remember however that back in the day i used to watch Ranma and dragonball in South America. What really got me into anime though was a TV channel in the 90's that started in Latin America called locomotion, which aired mostly anime. That channel exposed me to a variety of shows and started my anime hobby.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
First introduction into anime was Chodenji Machine Voltes V back in 1979. It was unlike anything else I had seen at the time, & I've been an anime fan ever since. *does the math* Wow, that's over 30 years, what a long time. Shocked

kilaria wrote:
OMG... anime is so cheap now compared to what it used to be. One of the very first anime DVD's I purchased was Revolutionary Utena Rose Collection 1. That single DVD set me back $40!!!

Heh, I was paying US$30 for a single VHS tape of the series when it first came out, & there were 4 tapes for the first arc. Anime smile + sweatdrop
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm dating myself here, I will say that I still remember seeing the screen flashing an image of "Superfriends" and an announcer announcing that they were away..... or something like that. Robotech blew me away on a number of counts:
1. The animation was WAY superior to "G.I. Joe";
2. The plot and character development was WAY superior to "G.I. Joe" (OK, OK, I realize that G.I. Joe set the bar low since it had little plot and NO character development to speak of);
3. and on a related point, Robotech actually had characters -- gasp! -- die in combat! The horror! (que Marlon Brando)

To paraphrase my film instructor, Robotech had the Hemmingway trifecta:
*Love
*War
*Death

G.I. Joe & Co. simply paled in comparision and thus never stood a chance.
Syobon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Watched DBZ, Pokemon and digimon but didn't know it is anime, after some years I get my Internet connection and DBZ was one of first things I started searching for, soon I discovered this world Laughing
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
used to watch Bleach with my brother, but the site he downloaded it from went awry, so i searched for a good streaming site, which i found, and have been using ever since (along with some other) for all the anime i watch, sadly don't have any way to buy anime, since for some reason there are no (maybe just none that i know) anime stores in amsterdam...
Mistmanov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The Dreaming Void wrote:
used to watch Bleach with my brother, but the site he downloaded it from went awry, so i searched for a good streaming site, which i found, and have been using ever since (along with some other) for all the anime i watch, sadly don't have any way to buy anime, since for some reason there are no (maybe just none that i know) anime stores in amsterdam...

There is one on the Zeedijk... I once went there with a girl-friend: mostly western Comics and Manga, but a bit of anime in the back. On closer inspection, most was Hentai.

The girl who was with me now thinks I'm a pervert. -_-

edit: just found out that if you google for "anime store amsterdam", the very first hit will give you some good stores -_-

As for the thread: classmate showed me some clips of elfen lied. About a year later, I was bored, remembered the name of those clips (Exclamation), and looked up the series. Watched it, enjoyed it immensely, wanted to find out more about anime, ended up at this site, and then used the various Top10 lists here to find more stuff to watch. Twisted Evil
Spirit-Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The earliest anime I remember getting into was DBZ on Toonami. (I got into Pokemon before, but that doesn't count since EVERYONE was into it at the time) I liked it, I got familiar with the setting and characters, but it didn't get me into anime as a whole.

What really got me into the whole genre was when Toonami showed on Saturdays. It had Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, .hack//SIGN, and that watered down Saint Seiya dub (Knights of the Zodiac) all back to back. I got into those and watched them RELIGIOUSLY until Toonami stopped airing them. Good times...
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop on the (now defunct) CNX network. Outlaw Star was shown concurrently but Bebop was, and still is, in a class of it's own.
timesteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
like most of you toonami got me hooked on anime i used to love watching it until 2005 then i started playing wow and i just started getting back into anime last year around january when i watched gundam 00 and have been watching since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6