• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
amarielah wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
One of the things I hated about the first anime was that god awful Shou Tucker subplot. It mad little sense considering that the reason why he transmuted is wife and daughter was the fact that he was a horrible alchemist, and frankly I wanted him off my screen.

Yes, because it makes no sense that the government, who spoiler[had been experimenting with creating human hybrid chimearas], would want somebody that had successfully transmuted two of them. He wasn't a horrible alchemist--he had simply set the bar too high and dug his own grave. Not because he couldn't do any better, but because it's rather difficult to find victims for your ~experiments~ that people won't miss. Heck, even Tucker had trouble with that part later on.

That being said, you're obviously entitled to dislike the subplot. I personally thought it worked well with the theme of the series.

Re: The episode itself.

I thought that this was the strongest episode out of the first fifteen, and the dub has just reaffirmed that. I do have to agree with JesuOtaku, though. A little subtlety could have gone a long way. They were definitely going the "Most Definitely Not A Villain" route with Tucker this time around.

Considering that Tucker's chimera form had an upside down head I can't imagine how he would have been able to create spoiler[Greed's Chimeras] even with the first anime timeline. That would be a massive amount of improvement in a short amount of time especially when you consider that spoiler[it's implied that they where made Chimeras soon after the Ishval war began]

Tucker's entire point is that unlike the rest of the Alchemist shown in the series, his not an expert, his not this high level master of Alchemy, his the normal guy who tries his best but can't live up to the greatness that the rest of the cast finds so easy.

Here we go again. Rolling Eyes Offtopicland, here we come. ometimes I get the feeling you dind't watch the first series at all.

Quote:
Considering that Tucker's chimera form had an upside down head I can't imagine how he would have been able to create spoiler[Greed's Chimeras]

Protip: spoiler[He didn't. Tucker had nothing to do with the Ishbal war, which was well underway before Ed and Al even transmuted their bodies. Makes you wonder why the military in either version of the story needed him at all if they were already capable of transmuting perfect, walking, talking, borderline lycanthropic chimeras in humanoid forms, but Lab 5 was pretty much out of commision save for the Slasher Brothers, Barry, the Homonculi and the few normal soldiers they strung around to bring prisoners over, so maybe it's implied that the scientists who transmuted them were KIA or silenced afterwards, and it's not like anyone else knew any of this.]

spoiler[But then, that's just it; they didn't need him. H was certainly very skilled to make a talking chimera by himself with no staff, and the State is obliged to let anyone of talent have a shot. But due to the...nature of his work, he couldn't produce at a steady clip, and the military made it'd clear they'd cut him off ih he didn't show results. But the Homunculi found him talented enough, for however long, to keep him alive, and after he broke out with Greed and Archer found him, they made use of his experiments further in secret. It's not that he wasn't a master, he was just a sad, broken pawn for the corrupted military to use like a tool. Exposing and reinforcing that side of the military alone justifies his subplot. ]

But more than that, Tucker's entire point was to reinforce yet another of FMA's major themes: Human folly and hubris. Think about the temptation; When you have THAT much power and ability, be it science or magic, and you're given free reign to do anything, wouldn't you go the distance? Wouldn't you try, just to see if you could? There's morals and ethics sure, and first series Tucker clearly struggled and wracked his brain against what it would come down to. But he had already had his first taste; it worked and granted him success. What he did would be truly horrible, and it shattered him completely, but the apple was sweet, and the pressing deadline was the final push.

The first series got ALL OF THAT across in about two or three masterful episodes, a move some would call slow-paced but I'd say was just subtle, detailed and masterful storytelling, and when it finally hit, it booted you in the stomach and kept it there. Not to mention how it all tied back around to the Elric's folly and cemented one of the show's greatest strengths; it's ability to morph even the kindest souls into sick maniacs before you even know what hit you, and vice versa.

A shame in the manga and Brotherhood, he's just an unsubtle cackling psychopath you see coming from a mile away who did the deed just to stay rich HYUCKHYUCK. Sorry, the anime was just much better written for awhile there, and of course, Brotherhood's still rushed, sloppy and hackneyed about it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Why would they kill someone who was still apparently useful, and be forced to use inferior work. Simply put Tucker's experiments where spoiler[far behind the government's experiments. In Brotherhood, and the manga Tucker is kept on to hide the governments work with Chimeras, they didn't need Tucker, they didn't want Tucker, but when someone makes a talking Chimera even if you know its far inferior to your own you have to take it.]

Tucker was never a kind soul, the fact of the matter is that he tried to play God, and created an abomination. He wasn't broken, he was completely nuts, he turned his Wife into a Chimera because he wanted state certification, and then he turned his daughter into one to keep it.

How the hell can you be sympathetic for someone like that? The fact that they dropped a bridge on Dr. Marcoh just to keep the subplot going was even worse.
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Nevermind. I need to stop going OT.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Why would they kill someone who was still apparently useful, and be forced to use inferior work. Simply put Tucker's experiments where spoiler[far behind the government's experiments. In Brotherhood, and the manga Tucker is kept on to hide the governments work with Chimeras, they didn't need Tucker, they didn't want Tucker, but when someone makes a talking Chimera even if you know its far inferior to your own you have to take it.]

Tucker was never a kind soul, the fact of the matter is that he tried to play God, and created an abomination. He wasn't broken, he was completely nuts, he turned his Wife into a Chimera because he wanted state certification, and then he turned his daughter into one to keep it.

How the hell can you be sympathetic for someone like that? The fact that they dropped a bridge on Dr. Marcoh just to keep the subplot going was even worse.

Thank you for admitting Brotherhood's version to be inferior. Smile

I would add, spoiler["Yes, what does Marcoh's death have to do with anything?"], but this is getting way too OT. Gotta save my stuff for tearing apart next week's episode.
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:

But more than that, Tucker's entire point was to reinforce yet another of FMA's major themes: Human folly and hubris. Think about the temptation; When you have THAT much power and ability, be it science or magic, and you're given free reign to do anything, wouldn't you go the distance? Wouldn't you try, just to see if you could? There's morals and ethics sure, and first series Tucker clearly struggled and wracked his brain against what it would come down to. But he had already had his first taste; it worked and granted him success. What he did would be truly horrible, and it shattered him completely, but the apple was sweet, and the pressing deadline was the final push.

The first series got ALL OF THAT across in about two or three masterful episodes, a move some would call slow-paced but I'd say was just subtle, detailed and masterful storytelling, and when it finally hit, it booted you in the stomach and kept it there. Not to mention how it all tied back around to the Elric's folly and cemented one of the show's greatest strengths; it's ability to morph even the kindest souls into sick maniacs before you even know what hit you, and vice versa.

A shame in the manga and Brotherhood, he's just an unsubtle cackling psychopath you see coming from a mile away who did the deed just to stay rich HYUCKHYUCK. Sorry, the anime was just much better written for awhile there, and of course, Brotherhood's still rushed, sloppy and hackneyed about it.

I totally agree! Tucker's role in the series is one shared by a few others, and they were set there to disillusion Ed and Al, and challenge their views on morality, "equivalent exchange," and the ethics of science and alchemy in general. That's an important role in their character development. Which is why I feel that that event fit better before Ed became a State Alchemist, as opposed to after.

I also disliked the handling of Tucker's character in general. Have some damn subtlety, for god's sake! He actually sounds crazier when he's subdued and explaining his reasons calmly, than when he's shouting them and foaming at the mouth. Subconsciously, humans interpret a calm affect as that person being so far gone in their insanity that they can't be fixed.

We all sound like broken records whenever we mention how rushed it is, but it's true. They're introducing characters, important characters, and five minutes (or in the case of Basque Gran, one), they're dead! How are we supposed to care if they die so fast? How are we supposed to take in that these people are crucial to Ed and Al's ways of thinking, if they blast through them like a monster truck rally?

Also, why the hell are Mustang and Ed telling EVERYBODY that they performed human alchemy? They might as well hang a neon billboard over their heads, because it's not FORBIDDEN or anything, and they should totally keep telling people!

On a good note, though, Maxey Whitehead's Alphonse is settling in nicely. I was surprised to hear that she'd progressed so quickly.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Stop confusing this with the first anime, Shou Tucker's role was to show the horrors of Alchemy when used in the wrong hands, his role done his death provides relief.

As for Nina barely being in it, I can say the same for the first series, with Tim Marcoh, and Hohenheim, two really important characters who get barely any screen time in the first series. In particular Hohenheim was horrifically underused in the first series where his past is barely explored (unlike the manga and brotherhood who show his past in detail), and the fact that his described as a genius and is outsmarted by Dante, who is to put it bluntly a complete idiot.

As for things that need to remain a secret do I really need to point out the scene in the first series where Basque Grand pratically yells that Amestris used Philosopher's stones in the Ishval massacre in front of a bunch of people?
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Stop confusing this with the first anime, Shou Tucker's role was to show the horrors of Alchemy when used in the wrong hands, his role done his death provides relief.

Right, and such horrors, exposed to Ed and Al, serve to disillusion them, which is a device used to build their characters. It doesn't matter which series it's in, it's about development.

Quote:
As for things that need to remain a secret do I really need to point out the scene in the first series where Basque Grand pratically yells that Amestris used Philosopher's stones in the Ishval massacre in front of a bunch of people?

There seems to have been a severe lack of tact and subtlety going around the BONES studio at the time Brotherhood was produced. That much is obvious.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Right, and such horrors, exposed to Ed and Al, serve to disillusion them, which is a device used to build their characters. It doesn't matter which series it's in, it's about development.

Quote:

There seems to have been a severe lack of tact and subtlety going around the BONES studio at the time Brotherhood was produced. That much is obvious.

And the development was still their, another episode would frankly just drag the story. I keep on hearing how great it was that Nina and Tucker got two episodes, but I remember episode 6 and the thing was boring as hell, especially the second half where they drag out the Alchemy exam.

I mean what more could they do with Nina? Show her playing more with Ed, and Al? It's not like all that extra screen time with Shou Tucker did anything for him, he crossed the point of no return when he transmutated Nina into a Chimera, after that there was nothing they could have done that would make him sympathetic.

Did you quote the wrong part of my post, how does me pointing out a similar scene in the first series have anything to do with BONES studio having a "lack of subtlety" at the time "Brotherhood was produced". Also what is with the past tense, the series is still being produced.

Are you saying that you think BONES hired me, to praise Brotherhood?

If BONES was so desperate that they would hire someone, they sure as hell wouldn't hire an American, especially one whose favorite manga is Fullmetal Alchemist.
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
And the development was still their, another episode would frankly just drag the story. I keep on hearing how great it was that Nina and Tucker got two episodes, but I remember episode 6 and the thing was boring as hell, especially the second half where they drag out the Alchemy exam.

I mean what more could they do with Nina? Show her playing more with Ed, and Al? It's not like all that extra screen time with Shou Tucker did anything for him, he crossed the point of no return when he transmutated Nina into a Chimera, after that there was nothing they could have done that would make him sympathetic.

If you think that a second episode with important develepmentary characters that encompassed only half of the events therein "drags" a story, you must be incredibly impatient. And actually, for only two episodes, there was a lot going on: Tucker's chimera work, the birth of Hughes' daughter, and the Alchemy exam.

What's this thing about sympathy? You don't get what I'm saying, do you? First of all, they didn't figure out he'd transmuted Nina until the end of the 'second' episode, then he was gone. Secondly, it's the same problem I'd mentioned before--they're throwing characters in and ripping them out again before they've had time to develop significance.

It's about pacing and natural progression. At least with the Alchemy Exam thrown in, it gave a much longer time frame during which Ed and Al became more intimately involved with Tucker and Nina. This made the knowledge of Tucker's transmutations that much more disgusting. Now I'm just repeating myself. I mean, this is basic stuff here--simple writing devices used to build and strengthen the protagonists' characters. And I don't know how I can get you to understand that.

Quote:
Did you quote the wrong part of my post, how does me pointing out a similar scene in the first series have anything to do with BONES studio having a "lack of subtlety" at the time "Brotherhood was produced". Also what is with the past tense, the series is still being produced.

If BONES was so desperate that they would hire someone, they sure as hell wouldn't hire an American, especially one whose favorite manga is Fullmetal Alchemist.

...Are you high? Who said any... what? Did you actually read what I wrote, or did you just make something up as you were going along?

I guess I'll have to clear up your confusion: in true conversational form, I was agreeing with you on the lack of secrecy about the military and various alchemy-related secrets. That relates to the writers' lack of subtlety and tact. I don't know how you cold have missed that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

If you think that a second episode with important develepmentary characters that encompassed only half of the events therein "drags" a story, you must be incredibly impatient. And actually, for only two episodes, there was a lot going on: Tucker's chimera work, the birth of Hughes' daughter, and the Alchemy exam.

What's this thing about sympathy? You don't get what I'm saying, do you? First of all, they didn't figure out he'd transmuted Nina until the end of the 'second' episode, then he was gone. Secondly, it's the same problem I'd mentioned before--they're throwing characters in and ripping them out again before they've had time to develop significance.

It's about pacing and natural progression. At least with the Alchemy Exam thrown in, it gave a much longer time frame during which Ed and Al became more intimately involved with Tucker and Nina. This made the knowledge of Tucker's transmutations that much more disgusting. Now I'm just repeating myself. I mean, this is basic stuff here--simple writing devices used to build and strengthen the protagonists' characters. And I don't know how I can get you to understand that.

Quote:

...Are you high? Who said any... what? Did you actually read what I wrote, or did you just make something up as you were going along?

I guess I'll have to clear up your confusion: in true conversational form, I was agreeing with you on the lack of secrecy about the military and various alchemy-related secrets. That relates to the writers' lack of subtlety and tact. I don't know how you cold have missed that.

I am talking about Tucker's re-appearance where he has an upside down head, and his trying to bring back his daughter. Anythinjg after what he did with Nina frankly doesn;t matter because I don't want to see him again after what he did to Nina, I wanted him dead.

Now with a large series like a shonen jump series, than I could understand dragging this episode out to two episodes, but since their was only 50 I don't think Nina or Tucker warranted that much screen time. I mean just look at how little screen time Riza got in the first series.

Frankly I don't see that much difference between one or two episodes, it's not like an upcoming character death (both of us know who it is) where their was twice as many episodes between his first appearance and death.

As for me thinking that you where calling me a person planted by BONES, well I didn't think you where I just didn't know what you where saying with "BONES suffered from a lack of subtlety when they produced Brotherhood".

Both series did suffer from this with characters frequently infodumping without cause, and things that where supposed to remain a secret being widely known. The manga showed a large number of people knowing that Al has no body, while the first anime used red stones/Philosopher's stones so frequently during Ishval that you have to wonder how Ed didn't know about it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
I felt like both Tucker fates were justifiable.

In the manga and Brotherhood, obviously we get that immediate relief of his spoiler[(well-deserved) death], and then that's it. That part passes and it serves the purpose of showing what alchemy can do in the wrong hands and spurs the brothers to consider what it is alchemy is. It does what it's intended to do and well.

In the first TV series, however, spoiler[Tucker sticks around as a constant reminder of the abuse of alchemy, but also he gets this sort of "fate worse than death", becoming a pathetic chimera whose twisted mind causes him to try recreating his daughter and failing because he's not good enough (and well, it can't really be done anyway). ]

If you're from the perspective that Tucker stuck around as an exchange for spoiler[Marcoh], who sticks around in the manga, then I can see where you're coming from, especially if you're disappointed by that, but it's a bit of a leap.

Of course, I'm not going to see eye-to-eye on FMA with Charred Knight, but I do agree with some of what he's saying, since spoiler[Marcoh] does add a bit more to the mix than Tucker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, I'm not going to see eye-to-eye on FMA with Charred Knight, but I do agree with some of what he's saying, since spoiler[Marcoh] does add a bit more to the mix than Tucker.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not arguing that Marcoh's part in the manga(or in Brotherhood; yes, I admit it, it gets better) wasn't fulfilling or more crucial to the plot comparitively, though I didn't particularly hate or even mind his lesser focus in the first series, either,spoiler[since unlike Brotherhood's rushed, subpar treatment of Tucker, it kinda just felt like Marcoh's time was up and his role was over. Wrong place, wrong time. I can be debated on that, of course. It's not like he'd have been going in the same direction, anyway; too many details were different, especially the nature of the Homunculi.]

I just don't see the base behind CK's belief that Marcoh was supposedly shafted because of, or even in favor of, Tucker.
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with your respective points, SoandSo and penguintruth. The 'breakoff point' warranted new characterisations, and throwing Tucker back in was a plot twist to keep things interesting. It may have also been a way of re-humanising Tucker, to show that people can be capable of great evils, but are not truly (pardon the phrase) bad to the bone. Which seems to be an underlying theme throughout the series.

A quick tangent: I think where some of my arguments get lost in translation is in my perspective. While I'm watching each episode, not only am I comparing it to the original (not on purpose, mind you), but I'm also trying to view it from the perspective of someone who's never been introduced to the FMA world. I'm trying to determine the series' watchability from an outsider's point of view. That's not to say that nobody else is doing it that way... I just feel like I'm having a hard time getting that point across.

And to be honest, if I wasn't a huge fan of FMA, and especially if I'd never heard of it before, I don't think I'd keep watching Brotherhood. The first few episodes of a series are crucial to its survival, and I'm just not sure if they're delivering. I know it's sounding more like a comparison-preference post right now, but I felt like I needed to say that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
On episode 5:

I'm really surprised, another good episode of the dub!

My feelings about Vic's Edward still remain the same, and I think Havoc is sounding a little awkward, but overall, decent performances all around!

Maxey Whitehead was awesome in that scene with Alphonse yelling at his brother. If we can get more of that, she may just turn out to be as good as Aaron Dismuke. Willingham's Roy, as I said before, has finally settled into something new when compared to the first series, and it sounds good. Sabat's Armstrong is as solid as always and I'm enjoying Strait's Hughes as well.

We have the return of Wendy Powell, Envy's VA from the first series' dub, and I can't really tell whether she's good here or not. I never liked her much as Envy because it sounded like she couldn't decide quite where she wanted his voice to be. In the scene he's in here, it seems like he's not even doing Cornello's voice when he's disguised as him, it's some voice that sounds more like like Jerry Jewell. And Scar's voice is better than in the previous episode, but he needs to speak up a bit more.

The script was solid, though, with no big signs of unnecessary rewrites, and overall the performances blended in well.

I still think the first series handled the scene spoiler[where Scar corners the brothers] better, though. And not to mention either way, there were tons of armed soldiers and they should have shot him immediately instead of standing around while he escaped. Sometimes I think the Amestrian military is the most incompetent fighting force in fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And not to mention either way, there were tons of armed soldiers and they should have shot him immediately instead of standing around while he escaped. Sometimes I think the Amestrian military is the most incompetent fighting force in fiction.

"Did you get him?"

"No, only breezed him with one shot."

....Well, shoot him again, ho! Damn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 28